Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just broke Kalloy Uno seat-post bolt during a ride.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 08:14 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

I'm talking about the large Allen-head bolt that helps clamp the seat to the post. I figured these things were nearly bulletproof, but that bastage just snapped in half in the middle of a ride yesterday. (Could be my fault for over torqueing it way back when).
Anyway, I'm hoping to salvage this otherwise solid 400mm post, but the very few possible options im seeing on a replacement screw, dont leave me confident they're the right one. I even hammered out a message directly to Kalloy in Taiwan, but im not expecting a response..
Not sure if someplace like Home Depot would have something suitable.
Any info/recommendations much appreciated.
PS, I already installed an old OEM post I had lying around, so the bike is running again, and then ordered a nearly identical post, but I'd still like to save this one.
Old 03-31-24, 08:41 AM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
I'm talking about the large Allen-head bolt that helps clamp the seat to the post. I figured these things were nearly bulletproof, but that bastage just snapped in half in the middle of a ride yesterday. (Could be my fault for over torqueing it way back when).
Anyway, I'm hoping to salvage this otherwise solid 400mm post, but the very few possible options im seeing on a replacement screw, dont leave me confident they're the right one. I even hammered out a message directly to Kalloy in Taiwan, but im not expecting a response..
Not sure if someplace like Home Depot would have something suitable.
Any info/recommendations much appreciated.
PS, I already installed an old OEM post I had lying around, so the bike is running again, and then ordered a nearly identical post, but I'd still like to save this one.
if it’s a standard hex-head bolt (ie not some proprietary design), you can almost certainly find a replacement at a decent hardware store or online at, say, McMaster-Carr. I’m assuming that you were able to extract the bit left in the seatpost? Bring it along with you to match the size and thread
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 03-31-24, 09:00 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 312 Posts
My guess is that the broken cap screw is an M8, but it might be an M10. Not sure what the length would be, but a guess is that it will be around 30-40 mm.

Any good hardware store or auto parts store should normally stock them. The thing to be careful about is that you get one with the appropriate strength rating.

​​​​​​If you have the broken screw cap end it may be marked. If not, you might try to locate a grade 12.9 screw. That may have compatibility issues with the alloy post.

Hopefully the manufacturer will tell you the size and grade of screw to use. If they don't, use a 12.9 or 10.9 screw and some anti seize on the screw. Oh, also maybe a torque wrench🤕
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-31-24, 10:16 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked 4,070 Times in 2,714 Posts
+1 DangerousDanR get a good quality bolt of the correct size and length. Plenty of cheap bolts that are not worth your time. Your average hardware store may or may not have what you need.

Make sure you use a torque wrench when installing the new bolts and don't overtorque things. I am pretty sick and tired of the classic "my hands are tuned or calibrated" B.S. Certainly yes after doing something a while your hand will get used to it but a torque wrench will ensure you get it accurate or at least closer to accurate depending on the calibration and other factors. Granted it is a low cost Kalloy post so not carbon or ultralight stuff but still it is helpful to torque properly.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-31-24, 10:19 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 297 Posts
I remember reading that Eddie Merkx carried a spare seat post bolt because he adjusted his seat height so often that they fatigued. It didn't say how he got the stub out.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 03-31-24, 10:57 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Many thanks guys, for the solid and prompt replies. Yes, it is a Allen/hex head, and yes, I did retain and remove both halves of the bolt, so hopefully I can at least match the threading.
I'm not knowledgeable on the specifics of metallurgical properties, so I wouldn't know what to ask for. I've seen a couple options on line, that state Kalloy in the ad, but again, their stated info leaves me unsure about its actual compatibility. If they were a piddly $1.50 at Lowes, I'd take a chance, but at $8,plus tax plus shipping, and still unsure that its correct, I'm probably on safer ground just buying a new post for $20-something,delivered (as I just did).
Anyway,thanks again....

Last edited by Brocephus; 03-31-24 at 11:03 AM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 03-31-24, 11:13 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 439 Posts
Don't know about all, but my local ACE hardware has a very large assortment of loose nut, bolts, washers, etc. In SAE and Metric. Needed a hardened bolt for a lawnmower--found it there! Hopefully, there's an ACE near you with the same great selection.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-31-24, 11:16 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,735 Times in 2,954 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me 3 miles from home many years ago. Stuffed the saddle in my jersey pocket and rode 3 miles standing - boy was that ever grueling. Had to take a couple of breaks. Went to LBS and they had a replacement and all was good.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-31-24, 12:20 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 862 Posts
Yes, it happens to the best of us. Mine broke in 2013:

Prior to this, I was hearing a creaking noise coming from the seat tube. I thought it might be a loose seat post or saddle, so I tightened the bolts - not knowing I was hastening the failure.

As I recall, it's a M8x1.25 bolt (same diameter & thread as many MTB stem clamp bolts).

Glad you are uninjured - from experience, the feeling of not having your saddle under you anymore can be unnerving.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-31-24, 02:56 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I would like to know how OP (Brocephus) got home on his ride after the seat bolt snapped. I ask b/c it's possible to ride standing up! (Although that could be fatiguing over a long distance, I suppose.) Or did he bail and call the little woman to pick him up? Or Uber/Lyft?
Old 03-31-24, 05:57 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
I would like to know how OP (Brocephus) got home on his ride after the seat bolt snapped. I ask b/c it's possible to ride standing up! (Although that could be fatiguing over a long distance, I suppose.) Or did he bail and call the little woman to pick him up? Or Uber/Lyft?
i was at the top of a hill, so i turned around and coasted back down, then started walking a bit while sticking my thumb out to any passing pickup trucks ( about 70% of the vehicle traffic on this country road).
Then i got bored walking, and started coasting down the hills,and hammering up the other side (while contantly reminding my self to NOT sit down!!)
Finally, (not very long) I got to a 3-way intersection where most traffic slowed and turned, and headed my direction. I figured them going slow,rather than blowing by at 50mph, worked to my advantage. So I stayed put, and removed my helmet and sunglasses, to allow a better look at what a harmless, clean cut all-American i was, and held my thumb out while trying to highlight the damaged bike, and damned if the first truck didn't stop, in under 5 minutes !! It was a guy and his wife,taking their kid to a birthday party, on the road i lived on. It helped that the guy said he'd seen me riding a number of times.
So, no, I didn't call the old lady,or a friggin' Uber, LOL!
Old 03-31-24, 07:33 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.homedepot.com/c/ab/grade...fab90189731df8
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-31-24, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked 4,070 Times in 2,714 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
"The little woman" meaning what exactly? Why the need to say that?

Yes it is quite possible to ride standing up. I have known people who have done long rides standing it is doable, maybe not as fun but you can make it work.
Old 04-01-24, 01:59 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 421 Posts
I usually replace the hardware on my bikes with titanium stuff from Amazon. It’s lighter, the better quality bolts and nuts are better threaded, and I haven’t had any failures. Most bolts on bikes are M5, M6, and M8, with an occasional M7 (like the stem clamp bolt on my Birdy), you just need to choose the correct length.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-01-24, 05:25 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 250 Posts
Nope, not bulletproof. I had one fail a couple of years ago, after ... about 25 years of service. It was on a descent, hit a medium-ish bump and suddenly - hey! what's this wiggly bit between my legs!

A good portion of my weight was on my feet, so no big deal. I managed to find the bits that had fallen to the road, stuffed my saddle down my jersey and rode home standing (only about 2 miles). My LBS drilled out the stub of the bolt and gave me a new one, took about 5 min. and they didn't charge me.

I suppose it's probably a good idea to replace the seat post clamp bolts periodically, but I've no idea if I'll remember in 15-20 years that I have to do so for my current bike (assuming it, and I, survive that long).
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-01-24, 06:59 AM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I usually replace the hardware on my bikes with titanium stuff from Amazon. It’s lighter, the better quality bolts and nuts are better threaded, and I haven’t had any failures. Most bolts on bikes are M5, M6, and M8, with an occasional M7 (like the stem clamp bolt on my Birdy), you just need to choose the correct length.
If I was replacing "mission critical" fasteners, the last place I would go to is Ti from Amazon. Apart from the occasional blatant counterfeit stuff, Amazon sells at the lowest price point, and that includes fasteners. You're likely getting Ti of unknown provenance and QC. If the fasteners matter (I'm thinking stem- and seat post fasteners, mainly), I'll pay the extra and get them from a legit hardware supplier like McMaster-Carr. High-grade steel fasteners are also stronger then Ti-equivalents, Ti is lighter and has better corrosion resistance, but for small fasteners (again, stem bolts), I'd rather good steel - higher tensile strength and the weight saving of Ti is negligible.

Last edited by 13ollocks; 04-01-24 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 04-01-24, 03:42 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
If I was replacing "mission critical" fasteners, the last place I would go to is Ti from Amazon. Apart from the occasional blatant counterfeit stuff, Amazon sells at the lowest price point, and that includes fasteners. You're likely getting Ti of unknown provenance and QC. If the fasteners matter (I'm thinking stem- and seat post fasteners, mainly), I'll pay the extra and get them from a legit hardware supplier like McMaster-Carr. High-grade steel fasteners are also stronger then Ti-equivalents, Ti is lighter and has better corrosion resistance, but for small fasteners (again, stem bolts), I'd rather good steel - higher tensile strength and the weight saving of Ti is negligible.
I used to work in a machine shop which manufactured hardware for aircraft engines, and can tell a good piece of hardware from one which is not so good. High quality steel is very strong, but you aren’t going to find high quality steel in Kalloy components. I have occasionally got some bad things from Amazon, and returned it. But, for the most part, the quality is good, and I’ve had nothing to complain about. The hardware is light, well-finished, doesn’t corrode, and is reasonably priced.
Likes For 50PlusCycling: