Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 12:50 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
That's a good one. Best of luck.

I'd like to learn piano at some point. I played trombone when I was young, and then guitar for a good while.

Piano and violin are two I'd like to know at some point. You know, with all that free time I have.
I opened my violin case for the first time in years. Tried to tune the violin. Junior put his hands over his ears. haha.

I was a much better violin player than I ever was a bike racer, but I stopped at about 19 years old.

I was thinking I'd want to start playing a little, if only to give Junior an idea that such a thing is possible.

Junior got a toy drum set from his great grandparents. I actually want to learn how to do some basic drum stuff now.

Of course there's the whole time thing.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-04-17, 01:17 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I kind of put the guitars away when I got married. They really got put away when we got a dog, who would go nuts and bark like crazy the minute I'd start playing.

I'm not that bad.
Old 01-04-17, 01:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked 3,189 Times in 1,678 Posts
@topflightpro you should try to find some time to play! Bummer about the dog though.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I was a much better violin player than I ever was a bike racer.
Although I still play the piano, this is very much the same case for me as well. Funny how your passions and talents don't always align.

I was thinking I'd want to start playing a little, if only to give Junior an idea that such a thing is possible.
great idea!
Old 01-04-17, 05:23 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son picked up guitar when he was 15, it was loud but he's really good. He would ask me what my favorite songs were and learn to play them. A family friend gave him an assortment of guitars. He's busy with school, work and a girlfriend now but he was in his room playing the other day and I realized how much I missed it. :-)
Old 01-05-17, 08:10 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Although I still play the piano, this is very much the same case for me as well. Funny how your passions and talents don't always align.

great idea!
I think Junior is in the copy stage. I put some moisturizer on my ankles after a long day of standing. He asked for some and carefully put it on the same way, watching me.

My brother's son was about the same age as Junior when my brother broke his leg. My brother found sliding up and down the stairs to be easiest/quickest when in the house, instead of dealing with his crutches. His son slid up and down the stairs in the house for probably 6 months, exact same way as my brother.

I feel like if I started doing surgery in the living room Junior would learn to become a surgeon. Or something like that.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-05-17, 08:40 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I feel like if I started doing surgery in the living room Junior would learn to become a surgeon. Or something like that.
Doesn't GStein need his appendix removed? Seems like a win-win to me.
Old 01-05-17, 09:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

lol
Old 01-05-17, 12:25 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I was looking over the bills to the accident and it's almost at 100k. Luckily I have pretty good insurance and it's going to be somewhere between $50 to $2000 out of pocket. Depends if I have to pay for the ambulance ride.

Just a friendly reminder to get the best plan you can out there. IMO, mortality numbers are exaggerated in this sport (though it does happen) but the chances or breaking something are pretty good.

My lungs only hurt when I cough or sneeze, the biggest issue now is the arm, which I can't even raise over my shoulder and has a painful pop every 1-2 days.

Last edited by furiousferret; 01-05-17 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 12:29 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I was looking over the bills to the accident and it's almost at 100k. Luckily I have pretty good insurance and it's going to be somewhere between $50 to $2000 out of pocket. Depends if I have to pay for the ambulance ride.

Just a friendly reminder to get the best plan you can out there. IMO, mortality numbers are exaggerated in this sport (though it does happen) but the chances or breaking something are pretty good.

My lungs only hurt when I cough or sneeze, the biggest issue now is the shoulder, which I can't even raise over my shoulder and has a painful pop every 1-2 days.
This sounds normal to me, but I'm not a doctor.
Old 01-05-17, 12:31 PM
furiousferret

Oops! Edited.
Old 01-05-17, 01:04 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Must've been the meds...

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-05-17, 01:16 PM
furiousferret

That's probably more true than I'd like to admit.
Old 01-05-17, 01:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Luckily I have pretty good insurance and it's going to be somewhere between $50 to $2000 out of pocket
That's a pretty big range haha.

Deductable/Premium arguments aside, the biggest factor to health insurance IMO is the annual out of pocket max. Make sure it's not too high! You can deal with the routine visits or small stuff, but when your ass gets seriously injured or hospitalized for a while you gotta make sure you're not financially ruined from it.

Glad to hear that you're getting better FF.

Last edited by TMonk; 01-05-17 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-17, 02:19 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
The office sounds like a TB ward today. Myself included.
Old 01-05-17, 02:52 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk

Deductable/Premium arguments aside, the biggest factor to health insurance IMO is the annual out of pocket max. Make sure it's not too high! You can deal with the routine visits or small stuff, but when you're ass gets seriously injured or hospitalized for a while you gotta make sure you're not financially ruined from it.
Totally, out of pocket max is really the reason to have insurance, to protect people from financial ruin. The attitude of many is that insurance is to pay for routine care, but it's not, or rather it's not originally intended to do that (although I am personally a supporter of low cost-sharing for critical services/medications). People sweat the deductible/premium stuff when it's basically a wash, you either decide to pay higher premiums for lower cost sharing or lower premiums for higher cost share.

When my son was born prematurely, our hospitalization would have easily been in 100k range without insurance, fortunately our out of pocket max was 5000, because even paying the normal percentage for services would have been a lot more. Fortunately I save the insurance a lot of money by being healthy and not going to the doc even for routine visits lol
Old 01-05-17, 03:09 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I hear ya!
Old 01-05-17, 08:25 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
This bike shop.
Visit 1: clean and lube freehub, lockring comes loose next week.
Visit 2: replace cables and derailleur hanger, cables are routed weirdly but work.
Visit 3: Replace derailleur, I woulda done it myself but I suck at adjusting the rear derailleur. He says my derailleur hanger is bent and the screw is stripped. This is the brand new one he replaced last week.

Gotta find a better mechanic.
Old 01-05-17, 08:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I take it you hadn't messed with any of the screws on the derailluer, He better be fixing that situation for you on the house!
Old 01-05-17, 10:02 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Visit 3: Replace derailleur, I woulda done it myself but I suck at adjusting the rear derailleur. He says my derailleur hanger is bent and the screw is stripped. This is the brand new one he replaced last week.

Gotta find a better mechanic.
or... just do your own work. it's not rocket science--these systems are easy/trivial! you're obviously a smart guy.

plus, you are not beholden to someone else' schedule and for the price you pay for service you can often buy the right tool, which you then have forever.

one other thing: i meet many people who are completely confused by derailleur adjustment. (they get the whole righty-tighty thing, but it doesn't make sense to them that loosening the adjustment lever adds tension to the wire.)

my recommendation is always the same: install a new derailleur (or install a completely new cable). when you do this, it tends to make more sense rather than random turns of the dial. it's amazing how often the light clicks for people.
Old 01-05-17, 11:17 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by tetonrider
or... just do your own work. it's not rocket science--these systems are easy/trivial! you're obviously a smart guy.

plus, you are not beholden to someone else' schedule and for the price you pay for service you can often buy the right tool, which you then have forever.

one other thing: i meet many people who are completely confused by derailleur adjustment. (they get the whole righty-tighty thing, but it doesn't make sense to them that loosening the adjustment lever adds tension to the wire.)

my recommendation is always the same: install a new derailleur (or install a completely new cable). when you do this, it tends to make more sense rather than random turns of the dial. it's amazing how often the light clicks for people.
I've installed new derailleurs and new cables several times, which is how I know how much of a pain in the ass it is to adjust! And you're right about the schedule thing, which is why Ive typically done this stuff myself. I dont have time to set up a mid day appointment two weeks in advance and take a couple hours off work/find a ride from the shop or whatnot.

But if the time thing is easy, I realize that usually the mechanics have done this a thousand times and automatically know exactly what to do. Whenever I do it I spend way too much time figuring it out, then of course I don't remember 97% of it a few months later and spend almost as much time again. Plus the mechanic has a stand, and a place that is allowed to get greasy, doesn't have to dig around for tools, etc.

Plus derailleurs are ridiculously finnicky. I've never had one that actually shifts click up, click down, through the whole range, whether the shop does it or I do it (unless maybe the levers, derailleur, hanger, cables and housing are brand spankin new). But the mechanic usually gets it closer, and with a bit more ease.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 01-05-17 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 12:12 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've installed new derailleurs and new cables several times, which is how I know how much of a pain in the ass it is to adjust!
look: i'm horrendous at remembering faces/names, but that's really because i don't prioritize it.

if you figured out how to get to this forum you have more than enough skills to figure out derailleurs. it's about the simplest thing imaginable: a cable is pulled or released and the derailleur moves. if you were here i'm sure in 2 minutes i could show you it in a way that would make perfect sense, that you would retain.

maybe you should get di2. think of all the time and trips to the shop you would save -- you can't afford not to! ;-)

seriously though: bike doesn't perfectly shift to an easier gear? 1/8 turn CCW. repeat 1/8th turn if nec.

doesn't perfectly shift to a smaller cog? 1/8 turn CW.

if you spend more than 5' on this (should be <30"), then shift to the small cog, screw in the barrel adjuster, and unclip the cable.

re-attach and you are probably good to go, or within 1/8th turn.

Plus derailleurs are ridiculously finnicky. I've never had one that actually shifts click up, click down, through the whole range, whether the shop does it or I do it (unless maybe the levers, derailleur, hanger, cables and housing are brand spankin new). But the mechanic usually gets it closer, and with a bit more ease.
something's wrong. if this is the case you have a misaligned hanger. out of the box, every shimano derailleur that i've installed, which is many, for many riders, is basically dead-on. you occasionally need a 1/8th turn when on that first or 2nd ride.

go electronic, though; i know a few folks who could never 'get' the RD adjustment thing, but they understand the adjustment mode of di2.

i'm good about keeping my bikes in top running condition (not *clean*, but the parts that matter are tip-top), and that means pretty much zero maintenance unless riding in the rain.
Old 01-06-17, 01:20 AM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by tetonrider
look: i'm horrendous at remembering faces/names, but that's really because i don't prioritize it.

if you figured out how to get to this forum you have more than enough skills to figure out derailleurs. it's about the simplest thing imaginable: a cable is pulled or released and the derailleur moves. if you were here i'm sure in 2 minutes i could show you it in a way that would make perfect sense, that you would retain.

maybe you should get di2. think of all the time and trips to the shop you would save -- you can't afford not to! ;-)

seriously though: bike doesn't perfectly shift to an easier gear? 1/8 turn CCW. repeat 1/8th turn if nec.

doesn't perfectly shift to a smaller cog? 1/8 turn CW.

if you spend more than 5' on this (should be <30"), then shift to the small cog, screw in the barrel adjuster, and unclip the cable.

re-attach and you are probably good to go, or within 1/8th turn.

something's wrong. if this is the case you have a misaligned hanger. out of the box, every shimano derailleur that i've installed, which is many, for many riders, is basically dead-on. you occasionally need a 1/8th turn when on that first or 2nd ride.

go electronic, though; i know a few folks who could never 'get' the RD adjustment thing, but they understand the adjustment mode of di2.

i'm good about keeping my bikes in top running condition (not *clean*, but the parts that matter are tip-top), and that means pretty much zero maintenance unless riding in the rain.
To reiterate, I've done it many times. The guy offered to do it, undo cable, replace part, readjust if I stop by so I did. And yeah, it's a pain to adjust all parts not just the barrel adjuster unless you do it so often you don't have to re-figure it out each time.

The problem I always have with the basic adjustment is 1/8 turn, not enough, 1/8 turn, almost, 1/8 turn, good! Then the other way it shifts a few gears and then doesnt. 3 more 1/8 turns and it is good. But then back down and it won't shift. Maybe brand new everything it works, but after a few months of riding no way in hell.

And yes, rain is a pretty common thing. Maybe the price I pay for riding in rain is messed up shifting and worn bearings.
Old 01-06-17, 01:22 AM
aaronmcd

But the current issue now, with new everything but shifters, is it takes 2 clicks to start shifting the opposite way. Like it doesn't pull or slack the cable enough on the first click. I thought it was cables/housing but maybe it's the shifters somehow?
Old 01-06-17, 06:55 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like too much friction in the cable. BB cable guide maybe?
Old 01-06-17, 08:50 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the seating of the housings as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.