Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What FD do I need?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What FD do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 04:49 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
What FD do I need?

I have a 1992 Trek 950 Single Track frame that needs a front derailleur, and I have not been able to find one that fits this particular frame. It's a top-pull unit for a 31.8 mm seat tube. That part is pretty straightforward, but the cable attachment has me flummoxed. On this frame the cable housing goes all the way from the top tube to the derailleur. In the Trek catalog they specify the Deore LX M561, but all the ones I've seen on Ebay appear to be the type where a bare cable attaches to the derailleur. I don't know if the FD I need is some special sub-variant or what. This BS where they change their gear every year makes me hate Shimano, Would anybody know the actual derailleur this bike used, or have any other suggestions? I could put a clamp-on cable stop on the seat tube, but would prefer to find the correct FD.
Old 04-20-22, 05:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
I have a 1992 Trek 950 Single Track frame that needs a front derailleur, and I have not been able to find one that fits this particular frame. It's a top-pull unit for a 31.8 mm seat tube. That part is pretty straightforward, but the cable attachment has me flummoxed. On this frame the cable housing goes all the way from the top tube to the derailleur. In the Trek catalog they specify the Deore LX M561, but all the ones I've seen on Ebay appear to be the type where a bare cable attaches to the derailleur. I don't know if the FD I need is some special sub-variant or what. This BS where they change their gear every year makes me hate Shimano, Would anybody know the actual derailleur this bike used, or have any other suggestions? I could put a clamp-on cable stop on the seat tube, but would prefer to find the correct FD.

I wouldn't blame Shimano for this problem, it was probably made by Shimano in that configuration at Trek's request!

I don't think that yours is really a top-pull derailer, rather it is a modified bottom-pull derailer I think(?). Depends on whether the moving arm is getting pulled up by the cable or pushed down by the housing stop.

I've seen and may have the cable stop that attaches to the moving arm that gets pushed/pulled downward to effect an up-shift. It's a tiny chromed barrel with a protruding threaded stud iir.

I think that the inner wire on your bike gets anchored to the seat tube, then with the housing "stopped" by the fitting on the moving arm of the derailer(?).

You're right, there are rather few bikes (or derailers) to be found with this setup and I suspect it lasted but one or two years as a Trek-only thing.
I believe that I've seen the studded cable stop sold separately for the purpose of converting a normal bottom-pull derailer for use on these particular Treks. Again, I may have one (and one can also be fabricated without too much effort).
Old 04-21-22, 05:40 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
On a 95 Singletrack 930, the front derailleur was Shimano STX FD-MC32. This was 31.8 clamp on with Top Pull, but no housing stop.
You could use a clamp on housing stop with one of those.

Likes For daverup:
Old 04-21-22, 06:48 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I've done a few old Treks with that style of cable routing, I wish I took good pics at the time. If I recall there is a special clamp on the derailleur that is actually a full housing cable stop, and there should be a bolt (looks like a rack or bottle cage bolt) at the bottom of the seat tube, near the bottom bracket. You run the cable housing to the derailleur, and then clamp the cable to the bolt farther down the seat tube. It was tricky to get right, I think it was a workaround until purpose-built top-pull derailluers became more readily available. Some other bikes had a pulley down at the bottom and no cable housing stop on the derailleur to solve the same problem (I think)/
Old 04-21-22, 01:54 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
dddd, I believe you are right about the modified bottom-pull FD. I checked the frame and yes, there is a small cable anchor bolt that screws into a fitting brazed on the back side of the BB.
So, this set-up was made to use a bottom-pull derailleur, but with the cable coming in from the top tube. The housing connects directly to the FD arm, then the bare cable continues down to the BB where it is anchored. The FD arm would be pulled downward by the cable, and move back up via its spring.
Possible solutions (I think):
1) Find a bottom-pull FD which has a cable stop that accommodates the cable housing. Anybody have a lead on one of these?
2) Use a standard top-pull FD, along with a cable stop clamped onto the seat tube.
Old 04-21-22, 07:54 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
The required cable stop on the derailleur itself is a bolt on item. It has a little plate that secured it under the existing cable clamp, and a swiveling housing stop.

Some of those Trek frames have the cable anchor on the bottom of the BB, some are more obviously on the back of the BB shell where you can see it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28476907449...gAAOSwN~diWke4
Old 04-21-22, 08:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
If you want the spec top pull Deore, there's one for auction. But you knew this already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164136586891
Old 04-21-22, 09:13 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
At the time some bikes came with top pull cable routing and bottom pull FD, they used a pulley at the back of the BB/ST to reverse the cable pull (newer bike in the pic, same arrangement).

Last edited by Reynolds; 04-21-22 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-22-22, 04:11 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...rek-950-a.html

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...l#post22154539