Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Varia radar camera RCT715 leaked

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Varia radar camera RCT715 leaked

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 06:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The mode I'm specifically interested in is Day flash + radar activated recording only. I couldn't find a battery life for that specific combo (I could have missed it in the lengthy sprawling review). Obviously I can assume it is less than 10 hours (camera disabled) and more than 6 hours. I need a minimum of 8 hours and ideally 10. If the 6 hours quoted in the spec is with constant recording, then with radar only activation (in a rural setting with not that many cars around) it might just scrape by for me.

In reality 6 hours is enough for 95% of my riding, but not enough for most of my event rides. I guess I could live without the camera part if necessary for those, but not ideal. I don't think I'm quite ready to upgrade from my Varia 515 at this point.
I might be mistaken but I think it is the second one I underlined -- 6 hr.

That is an upper bound, typical traffic, etc. 4 hr is for constant recording, so that is hopefully the lower bound.
Old 05-29-22, 07:31 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Never mind

Last edited by tomato coupe; 05-29-22 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-29-22, 08:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I might be mistaken but I think it is the second one I underlined -- 6 hr.

That is an upper bound, typical traffic, etc. 4 hr is for constant recording, so that is hopefully the lower bound.
You could be right, but it wasn't clear which camera recording mode it was in i.e. continuous or radar activated. The "up to" part makes it sound like it's optimistic anyway.
Old 05-29-22, 09:59 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
You could be right, but it wasn't clear which camera recording mode it was in i.e. continuous or radar activated. The "up to" part makes it sound like it's optimistic anyway.
I couldn't make sense of the set of listed lifetimes with any other set of assumptions.

I think writing the files to the SD card depletes the charge significantly, so frequent activation approaches continuous mode.

The idea of separate devices has appeal. If the camera runs out of charge, it would be nice to still have the protection of the radar and the tail light. It also has some advantages for space constraints imposed by short seatposts, etc.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-29-22 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-29-22, 10:27 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I think writing the files to the SD card depletes the charge significantly, so frequent activation approaches continuous mode.
I would have thought it was running the sensor itself. Writing to the SD card would imply they could greatly improve it by adding more internal memory and writing to the card in fewer larger batches.
Old 05-29-22, 03:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
They just need to make the battery last for 10 Hours under the most severe conditions. That in itself will be a selling point for it, even if the camera fogs over & the unit snaps away from the clip & falls down a sewer where "It" is.
Old 05-29-22, 03:19 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I rather like having split units. If my light runs out, I have the radar and vice versa. I would not want to rely on one device where camera load on the battery causes me to be without lights and radar.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 05-29-22, 03:25 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Insufficient battery life for everyone here is not the same as insufficient battery life to be useful to many people. I will say that in support of it.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-29-22, 03:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I rather like having split units. If my light runs out, I have the radar and vice versa. I would not want to rely on one device where camera load on the battery causes me to be without lights and radar.
I really like the adaptive tail light. Or I like the idea of it, at least. I certainly seem to get fewer close passes with the Varia ****zing out at cars as they approach. Until it's possible to change the light patterns, based upon radar info, on compatible ANT+ lights, I wouldn't want to separate the two. Having the camera in one unit would keep things nice and tidy, but it's not as functionally important to me.
Old 05-29-22, 03:39 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'm more of a separate/modular kind of consumer. If something breaks, you only have to replace parts instead of the whole(in this case) $400 unit.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-29-22, 05:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Compact & multi function for 1 person is not of alike to another. I'm just going to put that out there.
Old 05-30-22, 07:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I really like the adaptive tail light. Or I like the idea of it, at least. I certainly seem to get fewer close passes with the Varia ****zing out at cars as they approach. Until it's possible to change the light patterns, based upon radar info, on compatible ANT+ lights, I wouldn't want to separate the two. Having the camera in one unit would keep things nice and tidy, but it's not as functionally important to me.
Agreed, the radar and adaptive light work very well together. Definitely wouldn't want to lose that functionality or have two separate units on the bike.

Camera integration is not so important for me, but as an incident recorder I do quite like the idea of it only recording when the radar is activated (providing that gives the necessary battery life). For the odd time I might want to record more extensive action footage I'm happy to fit a separate GoPro for the occasion. But running a GoPro as an incident camera is not very convenient. That's why I like the idea of this new Garmin, at least in principle.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-30-22, 08:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I really like the adaptive tail light. Or I like the idea of it, at least..
Agreed, the radar and adaptive light work very well together. Definitely wouldn't want to lose that functionality or have two separate units on the bike.
This is an interesting concept to me, the notion that the adaptive light has value. I don’t really know how y’all are assessing that in a meaningful or accurate way, but it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me that the light pattern would either have any impact on someone not paying attention to the road, or that the flash pattern would change anyone’s behavior such that they’d pass less close because of it.

I mean, I’ve been riding with taillights since the mid-‘80s, back when the dope sh*t was a dual C-cell Cateye with a 3” light head, and I’ve used all sorts of taillights since then, many with multiple flash modes to choose from, which I’ve done, and I’ve never noticed any change in driver behavior based on my light mode. Sure, I like the *idea* that a change in flash mode would cause a driver to rethink their overtake strategy in favor of giving more room, but is there any substantial reason to believe that’s what happens? Does it make any sense for a light to move from steady to flashing in terms of driver awareness and reaction? I’m genuinely curious.

The one think I do like about the Varia’s adaptive light is that, when I’m not using my own Varia, I can get approaching car info from riders ahead of me. That’s kinda cool. It also means that following ridemates don’t need to get a facefull of annoying flash the whole time, which is the best thing about the adaptive light. I don’t see what the feature does for me as the Varia user, but I like not being behind the guy with the seizure-inducing, retina-searing, SuperCree 3000 XL Extreme in HyperFlash mode!

Other than that, though, light pattern selection, for me, is about being present without being annoying, brightness, and run-time. What that turns out to mean is that I usually run a pulse mode on dim, overcast days, rapid flash on sunny days, and steady (or low power pulse) at night (depending on city or open road). That said, I’ve never used the Varia at night, so maybe there’s a good use-case for the adaptive light in the nighttime city environment, where maybe blazing up pedestrians with a high power strobe is obnoxious. I dunno…maybe I don’t think about lights enough, or simply haven’t had the info to think about them in a deeper way.
Old 05-30-22, 10:01 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by chaadster
I mean, I’ve been riding with taillights since the mid-‘80s, back when the dope sh*t was a dual C-cell Cateye with a 3” light head, and I’ve used all sorts of taillights since then, many with multiple flash modes to choose from, which I’ve done, and I’ve never noticed any change in driver behavior based on my light mode. Sure, I like the *idea* that a change in flash mode would cause a driver to rethink their overtake strategy in favor of giving more room, but is there any substantial reason to believe that’s what happens? Does it make any sense for a light to move from steady to flashing in terms of driver awareness and reaction? I’m genuinely curious.
The purpose of an adaptive light isn’t to get drivers to change their overtaking strategy, it’s to make sure they see you.
Old 05-30-22, 10:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The purpose of an adaptive light isn’t to get drivers to change their overtaking strategy, it’s to make sure they see you.
I thought that was the purpose of all bike lights, adaptive or not. Headlights also, even if it's not their primary function.
Old 05-30-22, 10:28 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by seypat
I thought that was the purpose of all bike lights, adaptive or not. Headlights also, even if it's not their primary function.
yes.
Old 05-30-22, 10:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Huh? Cyclist visibility is irrelevant to driver behavior?? Anyway… one implication of what you’ve said is that the flash is more visible— which I agree with— but the adaptive part of the Varia is that it changes from solid, slow, or occasional flash to quick flashing when a car approaches, so as I said, if visibility is the point, why not just use the high visibility flash all the time? And if a driver isn’t paying attention at all, the adapative strategy seems totally pointless. The value of the adaptive feature (i.e. moving from lower visibility status to high visibility flash) is specious, I think.
Old 05-30-22, 10:56 AM
tomato coupe

Huh? Cyclist visibility is irrelevant to driver behavior?? Anyway… one implication of what you’ve said is that the flash is more visible— which I agree with— but the adaptive part of the Varia is that it changes from solid, slow, or occasional flash to quick flashing when a car approaches, so as I said, if visibility is the point, why not just use the high visibility flash all the time? And if a driver isn’t paying attention at all, the adapative strategy seems totally pointless. The value of the adaptive feature (i.e. moving from lower visibility status to high visibility flash) is specious, I think.
Drivers are more likely to overlook a light that is steady or flashes in a steady pattern. Adaptive lighting increases the likelihood that a driver will notice you.
Old 05-30-22, 11:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Drivers are more likely to overlook a light that is steady or flashes in a steady pattern. Adaptive lighting increases the likelihood that a driver will notice you.
I’ll ask it again: if visibility is the point, what is the value of the adapative feature and why not just have Varia flash all the time, irregularly or otherwise?
Old 05-30-22, 11:14 AM
tomato coupe

I’ll ask it again: if visibility is the point, what is the value of the adapative feature and why not just have Varia flash all the time, irregularly or otherwise?
Battery life.
Old 05-30-22, 11:24 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Battery life.
Flash modes provide longer run times than steady, and that’s true for Varia as well, so again, the value of the adaptive feature is questionable.
Old 05-30-22, 11:31 AM
tomato coupe

Flash modes provide longer run times than steady, and that’s true for Varia as well, so again, the value of the adaptive feature is questionable.
Flashing faster at a higher intensity draws more current. If the Varia does that only when a car approaches, battery life is extended.
Old 05-30-22, 11:38 AM
PeteHski

I think the point is that the flash pattern changes and intensifies when a vehicle approaches you and that change is likely to attract the driver's attention. A bit like if someone flashes their headlights at you. It instantly gets your attention. I use "Day Flash" mode on my Varia and so when a car is a long way off the driver will first see the standard flash pattern and then when their car gets into radar range, the driver should notice the flash pattern suddenly intensify. They might also get the impression they are being actively monitored in some way too, which can only be a positive thing.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-30-22, 11:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Flashing faster at a higher intensity draws more current. If the Varia does that only when a car approaches, battery life is extended.
Regardless of hypotheticals, the Varia runs longer in flash mode than in steady, and longest in the maximum intensity Day Flash mode.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/698001

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...5E15C4EA0.html
Old 05-30-22, 12:08 PM
tomato coupe

Regardless of hypotheticals, the Varia runs longer in flash mode than in steady, and longest in the maximum intensity Day Flash mode.
What part is hypothetical? Adaptive lighting improves the chances of being seen by drivers, and it extends battery life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.