Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Calling All Lemond Riders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 01:27 AM
SteelThisBike

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Intenso, Lemond Zurich, Stowe, Trek 930

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I bought a Lemond bike. After reading up here, I made sure that the top tube length was an OK fit. It is OK, but the problem I'm having is the knee-pedal orientation. Basically, I'll have to move the seat forward to get my legs where I want them over the pedals. Only then I may have to move the bars out a bit. Maybe, I'm not sure. So, my question is (while I still have time to return this bike), have any of you had to make similar tweaks to a Lemond? Did it work OK in the long run, or did you wish you had just returned the bike?

I like this bike otherwise and it was relatively cheap for "what it is" but nothing's a bargain if it gives you pain after 20 miles, right? So far so good, but I am moving forward on the seat without realizing it.
Old 11-08-18, 06:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
This sounds like the normal sort of adjustment that is made when buying a new bike. Get your saddle position nailed down (KOPS method is a great starting point, and will probably work); then, if you feel just a little cramped, a longer stem might be necessary. But if it seems like you'll need a stem longer than about 120mm, you should probably be looking at a different bike.

Just my $.02. I'm not a bike fit expert.
Old 11-08-18, 07:11 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My leg position is perfect when I ride on the front section of the seat, scooched up a bit, so I think that getting it right would be within the scope of adjustment fore/aft. As for the stem, the one on the bike is more like a stub, so if I wanted more it would be well under 120mm. So, if that seems normal, great. It is a really nice bike, but the geometry is a bit unusual. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-08-18, 08:48 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I bought a new bike a couple of months ago. Rode it out of the store, but set up a bike fit for later. (came with purchase of bike). I rode the bike for a couple of weeks before I got the fit. I thought I had made a mistake in the purchase. It just felt wrong and wore me out riding. After the fit it was like a new bike. Getting all the small details worked out makes a big difference.
Old 11-08-18, 08:54 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That makes sense, Razorrock. I just moved the seat forward and took a ride. Night and day. It's like the geometry favors someone with a long thigh and a long torso. I have the latter, not so much the former. But just moving the seat forward made a huge difference. It's a really sweet bike so I'm relieved.
Old 11-08-18, 09:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelThisBike
My leg position is perfect when I ride on the front section of the seat, scooched up a bit, so I think that getting it right would be within the scope of adjustment fore/aft. As for the stem, the one on the bike is more like a stub, so if I wanted more it would be well under 120mm. So, if that seems normal, great. It is a really nice bike, but the geometry is a bit unusual. Thanks for your input.
Then move the saddle up on the post so its oriented where your leg position is comfortable. If the seatpost is offset by 20mm, then perhaps a 0 offset seatpost is better as you wont need to push the saddle forward as much.
Then adjust the stem length so your reach is comfortable.

And ride.

Those are both quite common adjustments to make when setting up a bike.
Old 11-08-18, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
He had a wheel replacement trainer company bearing his name too..
Old 11-09-18, 07:13 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
My wife and I both have a LeMond Reno. Both have setback seatposts and the seats on both are not unusually forward on the seatpost. The only thing that was changed on mine was to have a shorter stem. Hers (women's specific design) is stock. But your torso to leg length most likely differs from mine, so your adjustments may differ. We love ours, hope you get your adjustments where it suits you and like it as much!

Last edited by freeranger; 11-09-18 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 09:04 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, Freeranger, I think I've found the sweet spot, but I may look into mstateglfr's (thanks!) advice for a more permanent setting on the seat. Either way, I'm liking the fit now.

Mine is a Zurich, with the steel/carbon mix. It's a 13 year old bike but I took it out of the box and said, "damn!". It's a beautifully crafted bike, and is so smooth to ride. It really does have a mix of carbon and steel ride qualities. So, I'm very happy to have this bike. Oh, it's 2cm smaller than my "usual size" -- so that piece of bikeforums advice was spot on.
Old 11-09-18, 09:08 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelThisBike
That makes sense, Razorrock. I just moved the seat forward and took a ride. Night and day. It's like the geometry favors someone with a long thigh and a long torso. I have the latter, not so much the former. But just moving the seat forward made a huge difference. It's a really sweet bike so I'm relieved.

Yeah, I put a zero setback Thomson post in my Buenos Aires.
Old 11-10-18, 07:04 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I also have a Zurich steel/carbon (spine bike). I bought it new in 2006, but it was a year or two old. The shop had stripped it, so I got it with different components than stock.
I had to get a zero offset Thompson seatpost, and use a 100 mm stem. I have found it to be very comfortable. I can do 8-10 hour days and not feel sore or beat up.
These days, I also get a lot of favorable comments from other cyclists (didn't happen when it was new)
I also like that it has a straight top tube, so I can keep my frame pump there and still have 2 bottle cages.
Old 11-10-18, 08:17 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I ride a 2002 LeMond Zurich triple that I bought brand new. It's a 52/42/30 crank with a 12-25 cassette. I've rarely used the granny gear 30 so I think my next bike will just be a 50/34 or 52/36 set up. It's been a great bike and I've been all over on it. Looking at getting an all carbon fiber frame but haven't done so yet. Maybe this Spring. As far as the seat goes I have the seat as far forward as it will go on the rails. Perhaps a little bit shorter stem would help but I'm kind of used to this set up. The frame is a 55cm.
Old 01-01-19, 05:09 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Quick update. I recently had a tune up on my bike and replaced the rear cassette. Now I have a 12-28 cassette which is really nice for climbing. Currently cycling in Thailand and it's been a lot of fun.