Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will Shimano 7 speed cassette work with 8 or 9 speed shifters (MTB)?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 03:20 AM
j3ns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

The cassette is 7 speed Shimano MTB and I need a new trigger shifter, most decent shifters available are either 8 or 9 speed.
According to Sheldon Brown a 8 speed shifter will work with 7 speed cassette although there is a slight difference in sprocket spacing, is this correct? Will the difference in sprocket spacing between 7 and 9 speed cassettes be too much for using a 9 speed shifter on a 7 speed cassette?
2015 Canyon Spectral 7.0 EX
Old 03-31-11, 04:38 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by j3ns
Hi there,

The cassette is 7 speed Shimano MTB and I need a new trigger shifter, most decent shifters available are either 8 or 9 speed.
According to Sheldon Brown a 8 speed shifter will work with 7 speed cassette although there is a slight difference in sprocket spacing, is this correct?
Yes it is correct. 7 sp is 5mm and 8 sp is 4.8mm. Contrary to what most people say, that will make a difference.

Originally Posted by j3ns
Will the difference in sprocket spacing between 7 and 9 speed cassettes be too much for using a 9 speed shifter on a 7 speed cassette?
Try using a 9 sp cassette with the 2 cogs removed. Then the 9 sp shifter will work perfect for the first 7 speeds. The shortened cassette should fit nicely on your current cassette hub body. Good luck
Old 03-31-11, 04:45 AM
j3ns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the the reply and advice.
You say that the different spacing between 7 and 8 speed will make a difference. Would you then advice against using 8 speed shifters with 7 speed cassettes?
Currently I'm looking for a solution with only a replacement of the shifter, not the cassette. The option of going back to friction shifting is actually more likely than changing a cassette as well as the shifter.
Old 03-31-11, 08:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I think you need to use 8 cogs of a 9 speed cassette on the 7 speed hub. You can then use the 9 speed shifters.
Old 03-31-11, 08:57 AM
SmallieBiggs

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=449735

My experience with the 'lower end' rapidfire shifters (not the E-Z-Fire hich have the release trigger on the top of the brake lever) has been 100% positive... robust, long lasting, and they work great.

Old 03-31-11, 08:59 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SmallieBiggs
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=449735

My experience with the 'lower end' rapidfire shifters (not the E-Z-Fire hich have the release trigger on the top of the brake lever) has been 100% positive... robust, long lasting, and they work great.
Yep. I can't believe how durable those cheap little things are. I put them on my wife's commuter about 7 years ago and she rides almost everyday in all weather. Never a problem.....
Old 03-31-11, 09:38 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
As suggested above, just get some 7 speed shifters if that's the only part you're trying to replace.

I've run 8 speed shifters with a 7 speed Shimano freewheel and it worked fine, but why buy the "wrong" thing?
Old 03-31-11, 09:56 AM
j3ns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys for the input. Although Niagara Cycle Works won't ship abroad I can get the M310 shifter quite cheap from a different source. I will do so, you have convinced me that they will be good enough.
Old 03-31-11, 10:08 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I'm running one bike with the 8 speed shifter cotrolling a 7 speed cassete. Yes it works but you're going to find that you need to "overshift" here and there. So while it works it's not a clean shifting setup and you'll get a little bit of noise in the extreme gears at each end of the cluster as the differences add up through the shifting. You'd actually be better off to try to source a 7 speed setup if you can. Or live with the 7 and 8 speed mix for the time being and when the cassete needs replacing THEN do the trick of getting an 8 speed and leave out one gear so it fits your freehub. Then your shifting will be back in synch.
Old 03-31-11, 10:41 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
In theory I agree with all the info posted. In practice I`d personally go to bar mounted friction shifters before letting myself get forced into `upgrading` all major drivetrain components just because I needed to replace a discontinued shifter.

Even a Tourney 7 speed shifter would look like a better alternative

But I`m known to be a little stubborn at times
Old 03-31-11, 10:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
Or live with the 7 and 8 speed mix for the time being and when the cassete needs replacing THEN do the trick of getting an 8 speed and leave out one gear so it fits your freehub. Then your shifting will be back in synch.
Actually, it's a 9-speed cassette with one cog removed that fits on a 7-speed freehub but you need a 9-speed shifter and chain. That, of course also requires 9-speed shifters.

This thread reminds me of a hilarious posting I saw on a bicycle forum years ago. The poster was given a "free" set of 8-speed Ultegra STI's, which at the time were the current state of the art. He then details all of the various upgrades and changes he needed to make these free brifters work on his bike and by the time it was over a new bike would have been cheaper. I wish I could find the original as the story was a wonderfully entertaining.

Last edited by HillRider; 03-31-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 04:12 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You can get the 7-spd cassette to work with 8/9-spd shifters by replacing the 3.15mm spacers with 3.0mm for 8-spd or 2.65mm for 9-spd (depending upon the levers you get). So you'll have a 7-on-8 or 7-on-9 combination. I used to do this type of upgrade all the time when 8 & 9-spd came out. It let me use all the older wheels I had on my newer bikes. Sometimes I'd get the spacers from shops, other times I'd just slowly spin them over a grinder and measure often with calipers.

I've managed to build many Shimano-compatible Suntour 8-spd freewheels this way too.
Old 03-31-11, 05:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Friction thumb shifters will cover all the variance, of cramming more cogs
into a limited space.