Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cycleops Fluid 2 vs. CycleOps PowerSync?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 02:35 PM
lakefr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a trainer for my husband but I don't know much about the trainers. He is a recreational biker and often gets home too late to go for a ride outdoors. I know that he will like CycleOps virtual training so that is why I am going with this brand. What are the advantages/disadvantages to electric and fluid.

Thank You!

I apologize if this is a repeat question. I searched the thread but didn't find anything on this topic.
Old 12-14-14, 03:04 PM
no sweat
Hardening the F up

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Siena, 29# hard tail Tank

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will be a tangential answer, but I can recommend what I bought in October:

Amazon.com : Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 Fluid Trainer

and

inRide Pod

Hmph. Today the combo is about 10% cheaper than what I paid.

This presumes hubby has a modern smart phone (edit: looks like it is iOS only) that can run the inRide app (which is free, but required to get the benefit of the inRide pod).

Anyhow, the inRide app is very good and well supported (i.e. getting better) & the quality of the hardware is top shelf (better than CycleOps imo).

I haven't seen the CycleOps powersynch trainer... that seems like an awful lot of money for a trainer....

Last edited by no sweat; 12-14-14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-14-14, 03:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3215 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 1,059 Posts
Definitely the PowerSync. You'll want him to have that power meter, and he'll want it, too!

Why? First, because it will allow him to target and maximize his trainer time for the most effective workouts. Power really opens up all new realms of involvement with cycling, from data crunching to training targets.

Next, power is the future, especially in the context of trainer workouts, and he'll be ready for those developments-- interactive riding as with Zwift-- with the Powesync's electronically controllable resistance, ANT+ and Bluetooth connectivity.

Lastly, the price for Powersync is less than what it would cost to add powermeter setup to a Fluid2, and offers some features that only come with integrated power units, like that electronically remote controllable resistance. I'm telling you, Zwift is going to completely change the trainer world, so why not put him in position to be at the forefront. Zwift should come out of Beta later this winter.

On the pricepoint of Powersync, it's good. Compare to the current standard-bearer, Wahoo Kickr ay $1100, or to the Lemond Revolution with Wattbox, and you should feel comfortable that you're getting a top quality unit at segment leading pricing.

Last edited by chaadster; 12-14-14 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-14-14, 07:45 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3215 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 1,059 Posts
I probably should mention that the Bkool trainer has some cool features as well, but is a closed system (in terms of ANT+ broadcasting) and will not integrate fully with Zwift (as I understand it).

Still, it could be a fun, less expensive, yet dynamic, option.
Old 12-14-14, 07:47 PM
lakefr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both for your help. I considered the Kinetic but we aren't apple users. I found a great deal(20% off) on the Powersync ant+ and bought it. It's returnable if it isn't what he is looking for. I think it will be is Christmas, birthday, and anniversary present for the year even with the 20% off.
Also, I just looked at the Zwift site. It looks awesome!

Last edited by lakefr; 12-14-14 at 07:56 PM.