Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How good is SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER SPORT 29 for commuting?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How good is SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER SPORT 29 for commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 10:19 AM
ihappy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Seems like I have found a lot better bike for my needs, but it is the used one and I am completely comfortable buying an used one. So, I will link it in the next post once I finally get to 10 posts total
Old 09-16-23, 10:31 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's a Specialized Source Elite and the price is even better than the rockhoper. It's roughly 400 euros but I believe I can get it cheaper. The downside is it being the used one.
https://olx.ba/artikal/48790021/spec...ite-supernova/
There is the link. From what I see, the bike seems to be in a very good shape.

After more waiting... I am finally allowed to post once more
Likes For ihappy:
Old 09-16-23, 12:49 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 525 Posts
I'd ride it. Looks a lot more like a commuting rig. Schwalbe tires of some kind. That's a good thing. Chapeau.
Edit: Level out that saddle and you will be a lot more comfortable than the first owner.
Old 09-16-23, 03:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,493 Times in 1,843 Posts
Much more traditional commuter/play bike.
Old 09-17-23, 08:23 AM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
This looks like a great bike to me, especially for $400 Euro! I have very similar lights on mine and have been very happy with them. I hope it's as good as it looks and works out for you.
edit: It looks like that rear rack isn't fully installed?
Old 09-17-23, 11:52 PM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'll stick with my initial choice and go for the Rockopper. It just feels like it suits my particular needs better, plus it's a brand new bike.
I lack experience so buying an used bike will have to wait.
If everything goes according to the plan, I'll get a commuter like that Source Elite in the future.

Thank you all for your time and valuable help. It was easier to reach a decision.
Likes For ihappy:
Old 09-18-23, 10:04 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 624 Posts
I'm uncomfortable riding "pure" road-type bikes because my neck is stiff (perhaps the result of a long ago surfing accident), so do my errand/commuting on a MTB. The current transportation is provided by a Salsa La Cruz. Your Rockhopper, an excellent bike IMO, should be perfect.

Last edited by 2old; 09-18-23 at 05:43 PM.
Likes For 2old:
Old 09-18-23, 11:03 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by ihappy
I'll stick with my initial choice and go for the Rockopper. It just feels like it suits my particular needs better, plus it's a brand new bike.
I lack experience so buying an used bike will have to wait.
If everything goes according to the plan, I'll get a commuter like that Source Elite in the future.

Thank you all for your time and valuable help. It was easier to reach a decision.
Why ask if you are just going to do what you wanted to do in the first place. You could get a new hybrid you know, if the bike being new is important to you. I get it, the Rockhopper looks badass. That's why people drive Hummers to the office. That's why FAT tired bikes were all you could see a few years ago. Where are they now? The first wave of adopters quickly realized that the looks were the least of it. Now all FAT bikes have motors. But motors add cost. So very few FAT bikes are seen now. Same with using MTB type gear on the street. Even bad streets. Suspension and plus size tires make a bike dog slow. Ask for a test ride. You'll see.
Old 09-18-23, 11:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Why ask if you are just going to do what you wanted to do in the first place.
The guy has a Very small selection of bikes available. He looked at what looked like his best option, and got opinions. He then saw a used bike, considered it, and rejected it in favor of a new bike---a bike he could be sure didn't have any hidden issues, I bike which would come with a warranty.

He asked so he could get opinions. What, are you angry that your opinion didn't control his decision?

You could get a new hybrid you know, if the bike being new is important to you
If you had bothered to read the thread, you would have seen where he specifically stated that a new hybrid was not available.
That was my initial choice. That or Trek FX 1. Unfortunately, at this moment it is not available where I live. Frankly, I can't even find an used Sirrus to buy. ...
Sirrus would do the trick, but for now, I cannot get it
Suspension and plus size tires make a bike dog slow. Ask for a test ride. You'll see.
You have no idea what kind of riding he will do or wants to do ... neither does he. This might be the perfect bike for him ... but because he didn't take your advice and buy a bike which wasn't even available, you are going to wish upon him and unpleasant riding experience.

Class act, bro. Maybe look inside and figure out what motivates you to act this way?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-18-23, 11:25 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maelochs The good thing about buying the bike from this store is they have their service right beside the shop.
I am getting first service for free, plus the next one, which in 2 months, and the next one, also for free, after a year. Plus it comes with 2 years warranty. So, for this price I cannot do wrong.
Leisesturm I have been of the bike for the past 20+ years. So, making a decision to get back into it in the first place, was a good step forward for me.
Hybrids are usual recommendations, but, after digging a bit more and realizing I'll mostly be driving off the road or on the sidewalk, which are in bad shape too, I would look funny driving a bike such as that Specialized Source Elite.
Rockhopper tires looks like an overkill, but, that might not be the case because I realized that I have 2 beautiful mountains near me which are less than 40 kilometers away from me. So, in the near future, if everything goes according to to my plan, I can see myself enjoying such rides.
Old 09-18-23, 12:33 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
This bike would be fine but you may want to replace the rear tire with one better suited to use on pavement to minimize the rolling friction involved. Many options with regard to 29x1.95 tires from Schwabe and other manufacturers and most sell for around $50.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 09-18-23, 01:02 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Class act, bro. Maybe look inside and figure out what motivates you to act this way?
Luckily this thread cannot be changed and shows exactly where you flipped and started talking out the other side. Class act? Motivation? I wish nothing bad on the o.p. that is why I advised they test ride. Anger? No. Annoyance? Yes. I own it. And I stand by it. It doesn't change anything. It is what it is. I think you know me long enough to know I don't have any anger issues so please don't project one for me.
Old 09-18-23, 01:19 PM
Maelochs

I told him, assuming he had every option to buy every bike, that the Rockhopper was not the bike I would use for commuting. When he explained that in Sarajevo, bikes were in short supply, and his intended use was "just riding around for fun and fitness," I did indeed reverse ... given my better understanding of the situation based on the new information, I re-evaluated. That is what smart people do ... they respond to reality, and when new information comes in they respond to that, too (or at least that is what I think smart people do ... I am not sure... )

I would bet that the Rockhopper could be a lot of fun ... I did a stint on an F/S Univega for a while, and in urban settings it did provide some joys ... basically, Everywhere was a road, the bike could go almost anywhere ... I could hop a curb, cross a lawn, drop down a short staircase, and cruise across a park, a path, the spaces behind and between buildings ... I could ride in places where a road bike wouldn't have managed.

As for the weight and rolling resistance .... the fetish about low weight is sort of comical to me. I spent so many years on a 46-pound Schwinn Suburban .... I did a tour on a 32+ pound Schwinn Varsity or some such (while carrying 80 pounds of gear.) I have ridden different MTBs, different road bikes, carried different loads ..... I spent the last few rides on my (with racks and gear and extra bags) 28- or-so pound Fuji, instead of my 17-pound Workswell ... and loved it.

Apparently @ihappy has thought through the situation and has come to terms with his choice.

But you are right ... I have seen you here for many years and you are not one of the haters.

Stay annoyed, bother ....
Old 09-19-23, 09:01 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Got the bike, and took it for a 30 minutes "test" ride. Honestly, it was so much fun and I am eager to ride it once again. However, I am a bit on a safer side, not wanting to overdo it right from the start.
It is indeed a big ass mountain bike, it is big and bulky compared to hybrid or city bikes. Tires are also super wide and I'll probably have to pedal a bit more than people on lighter bikes, but definitely for the roads around here, I did not make a mistake.
Time to look for a quality lock.
Likes For ihappy:
Old 09-19-23, 09:22 AM
engiecope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also love commuting to work. This gives me the opportunity to be alone with my thoughts. Autumn is a difficult time of year for me, I have been changing my route lately, this has a definite advantage.
Likes For engiecope:
Old 09-19-23, 09:35 AM
Maelochs

... I am eager to ride it once again. ... I did not make a mistake.
You know the BikeForums rule, right? If after ten posts you do not post multiple photos of the new bike, your forfeit ownership ... someone will come and repossess your bike.

Be safe. Post pics.

And congratulations.
Likes For Maelochs: