Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squealing front brakes. Tried everything!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 09:36 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I have a Thorn Nomad bicycle with Shimano hubs, Mavic XC717 rims, and Cane Creek cantilever brakes. The front has developed a bad squeal that I cannot exorcise. I've adjusted the toe-in, changed pads, cleaned the rims and burnished them with steel wool. Top-end pads, cheap pads—both squeal. Pads adjusted properly, pads adjusted so toed-in that only the leading half-inch contacts the rim. Short of buying a new front brake set I'm at a loss. Just walking the bike and squeezing the brake I can make them squeal; at speed they shriek.

Any thoughts or theories from experts?

Thanks . . .
Old 03-05-18, 10:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Change your perspective. Dirty up the pads. Toe out.Andy
Old 03-06-18, 07:06 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you have a stem- or steerer-mounted cable hanger, change it to a fork crown mount one, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Front-.../dp/B006GHDRYC This will get rid of the root cause of canti brake shudder.
Here is a discussion of the phenomenon: Technical Q&A with Lennard Zinn: How to stop cyclocross brake chatter | VeloNews.com
Old 03-06-18, 07:22 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
If Andrew's suggestion doesn't work, try cleaning and lubing your cantilever posts. Also check for excessive slop between the cantilever bushing and the mounting post causing the brake and pad to oscillate back and forth causing a squeal.
This happened to me at about 6,000 miles on my Jamis touring bike with cantilever brakes. I put on new brake arms
And that stopped the noise.
Old 03-06-18, 07:34 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hanson
I have a Thorn Nomad bicycle with Shimano hubs, Mavic XC717 rims, and Cane Creek cantilever brakes. The front has developed a bad squeal that I cannot exorcise.
It may be helpful to know how old the bike is and what kind of use/conditions to which it has been exposed. It's quite possible that with extreme use enough wear could occur in the pivots to indeed require new calipers.
Old 03-06-18, 08:00 AM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks very much for all the input. I did lube the cantilever posts—no difference. The bike is about 6 years old and is ridden regularly, but not abused. I rode it across Israel last year.

I can just slightly rock the brake arms on the posts. So perhaps I do need new arms.

I'll read Lennard Zinn's article and see if anything there sounds relevant.

Last edited by Jonathan Hanson; 03-06-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-06-18, 08:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
If you've been toeing your brake pads, then toe them in the opposite direction. Just to see......
Old 03-06-18, 09:25 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
[...]cleaned the rims and burnished them with steel wool
Since everyone else already said what you can do, don't do this (in the future) unless your rims are steel. The particles from the steel wool will embed into the softer aluminum track, and cause rust to bloom in it.

They make carborundum/rubber blocks that work well to clean rims without leaving deposits that can rust. Check under the name "sandlfex" (SandFlex Flexible Abrasive Blocks | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware for example). For bicycle work, 'fine' works great.

You might also find something similar in hobby shops that cater to model train builders, who use it to clean the (conductive) tracks.

Of course, you can buy the [more] expensive [and smaller] equivalents that Hozan or Mavic sell, if you would like to lighten your wallet a bit more.
Old 03-06-18, 09:37 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to be sure, you cleaned the rim and pads very well with alcohol or brake cleaner?
Scrubbing the track and the pads with alcohol usually works for me.
Old 03-06-18, 11:12 AM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I did clean the rims; however, I've also been using steel wool, and I appreciate the heads-up on avoiding that in the future.
Old 03-06-18, 01:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
won't need to buy a bell, its now a feature.. not a flaw..

Magura HS 33 rim brakes, Kool stop Salmon pads ..
Old 03-06-18, 03:13 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
won't need to buy a bell, its now a feature.. not a flaw..
It definitely gets attention right now.
Old 03-06-18, 04:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
I knew a mechanic who said the cure is to oil the rims. Of course, I didn't take that seriously. Many years later, I was working on a neighborhood kid's bike shaped object (BSO), i.e. bike from a department store, and I couldn't get the squeal out. I oiled the rims. It worked, and braking power was not reduced. So as a last resort...

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-06-18, 10:09 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I knew a mechanic who said the cure is to oil the rims. Of course, I didn't take that seriously. Many years later, I was working on a neighborhood kid's bike shaped object (BSO), i.e. bike from a department store, and I couldn't get the squeal out. I oiled the rims. It worked, and braking power was not reduced. So as a last resort...
Well, that's a novel approach! At this stage it's tempting. I'll report back when I've tried a few of these suggestions (short of 10W40 . . .).
Old 03-07-18, 09:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Well, that's a novel approach! At this stage it's tempting. I'll report back when I've tried a few of these suggestions (short of 10W40 . . .).
It's quite conceivable that it changes the composition of the brake pad which is why it eliminates the squealing. You could try oiling the rims, riding the bike a bit (with the precaution of assuming your brakes won't work on the first few applications), and then cleaning the rims with acetone. The oil remaining in the brake pads is all you need.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-07-18, 03:17 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I oiled the rims. It worked, and braking power was not reduced.
+
Old 03-07-18, 05:47 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
grungy rag

+1 on this. But I have for years simply made a wipe-down the rim pass with whatever slightly grease-stained rag (from wiping hands after greasing bearings) and it's always worked!
Old 03-07-18, 05:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
One question, is front squeal worse than rear squeal?

It is always easy to drip a little chain oil on the rim, or perhaps even built up chain schmutz gets down to the rim.
Old 03-07-18, 07:02 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squidpuppet
+
+1
Old 03-07-18, 09:09 PM
2manybikes

Softer pads stop better and are quieter. I could see the oil softening the pads. Wd-40 softens lever hoods. It cleans them quickly, but they need Pledge after to harden up a little.

I can't recommend it on brakes though. No brakes seems likely on the first ride.
Old 03-07-18, 09:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I can't recommend it on brakes though. No brakes seems likely on the first ride.
Brakes are over-rated.

Especially those people who ride their brakes down hills

Am I getting old when half my break wear is on descents?
Old 03-07-18, 09:54 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Brakes are over-rated.

Especially those people who ride their brakes down hills

Am I getting old when half my break wear is on descents?
Safety is over rated as well. What's life without a little risk? Yes you're too old. This year I started using brakes on fast descents at night. I actually thought about my safety. I'm really old.
Old 03-08-18, 07:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How well do you like that neighbor kid?
Old 03-08-18, 08:12 AM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One question, is front squeal worse than rear squeal?
The rear brake (same model) does not squeal at all. I've considered swapping them to see what happened; I think I'll try that today and report.
Old 03-08-18, 08:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How well do you like that neighbor kid?
Good question. It was a slightly uncomfortable situation. I was teaching a bike repair class to kids. It was a summer day camp program. The kids left their bikes at the school overnight. I worked with the kid trying to get his brakes to work properly, but since it was a BSO, the bike did not respond normally. The brakes were so bad that unless they were adjusted super tight, they didn't work worth a damn. Toeing them in required loosening them, which made them work insufficiently, so I couldn't toe them in. After class, I kept working on the brakes, because I was beyond teaching him a useful lesson and trying to make the bike safe for him. Trying oil was a last ditch effort. I was surprised it worked but also glad. Some of these kids were poor, so "get a better bike" was not an answer. Even if they weren't poor, it's not appropriate for me to say to a kid who has to live within his parents' budget decisions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.