Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Road cassette on mtb hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Road cassette on mtb hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 03:27 AM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Road cassette on mtb hub

I am trying go find rear hub with 142x12 thru axle, 36 hole, 6 bolt disk to make a strong rear wheel for bikepacking, but it seems availability of such hubs is limited?

For example, can you put road cassette (Tiagra 10 speed) on this hub?

https://r2-bike.com/DT-SWISS-Hub-rea...o-SRAM-36-Hole
Old 11-11-23, 06:01 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 423 Posts
You can use road or MTB cassettes on HG hubs, I’m running an 11 speed XTR cassette on a Ultegra hub, and I could do the opposite, run an Ultegra cassette on an 11 speed XTR or other MTB HG hub.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 11-16-23, 09:27 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
There are a lot of nuances with road and MTB hubs that you need to pay attention to depending on the cassette(s) you want to use. While the splines are the same for all HG cassettes, the freehub comes in a variety of lengths. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on the specific cog size, but 11 speed cassettes with a big cog larger than (I believe) 32T (so 34T and up) can fit on a 8/9/10 speed road/MTB freehub because the largest cog in those cassettes overhangs the freehub and doesn't need the extended length of a road 11 speed freehub. This works because the cog is large enough to not interfere with the spokes of the wheel. Smaller 11 speed cassettes require a true 11 speed freehub and will not fit on a freehub marked for 8/9/10 speed.

The hub in the link above is an example of a Shimano-MTB-only 11 speed hub. It will NOT fit a Shimano 11 speed road cassette. It will, however, fit a Shimano 10 speed road cassette without issue, just be sure to use the appropriate spacer between the cassette and freehub if one is included with the cassette.
Likes For joejack951:
Old 11-16-23, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 4,084 Times in 2,722 Posts
First off is that compatible with your frame? If you have a 12x142 thru-axle you are all set and that will work just fine if not you will need to double check and get the right stuff. You can put 10 speed on that hub you can run into issues with certain 11 speed stuff on different ones but that hub with 10 speed road is going to do just fine.