Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do clips affect speed?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do clips affect speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 11:23 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Like a paper clip?

Isn't that why most clipless pedals are spring loaded, so they can "pinch"onto the cleat? Whereas the toe clips pinch onto the toes.
I've always considered them to engage. I looked it up on Shimano and they seem to feel the same.

Straight from the mfg'er.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (96.4 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-21-16, 11:27 PM
B1KE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Clipless is not faster than good flats.

Are there any scientific studies proving the benefits of clipless pedal systems? - Bicycles Stack Exchange

There are some other studies that believe the efficiency improves slightly, and some other theories that power increase for specific situations - going uphill or an all out sprint on the flat - but mostly clipless just servers to keep your foot securely attached to the pedal and does not increase speed or power.
That study is from 1991. Clips have evolved ALOT since then. Would love to see a comparison of 2016 clips vs stock pedals.
Old 12-21-16, 11:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
There was a GCN video.

The conclusion for efficiency is that there isn't a huge difference between the two. But, their test did not look at acceleration or peak power.

And, of course, not a large test group... so no confidence intervals or significance.
Old 12-22-16, 02:16 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by B1KE
That study is from 1991. Clips have evolved ALOT since then. Would love to see a comparison of 2016 clips vs stock pedals.
I don't think they've evolved much at all, but it's a bit of a different subject. The basic pedalling dynamics of clipless pedals have not changed at all. They're improved somewhat in shedding mud and dirt, and float. But they still attach your foot the the pedal in basically the same way as they did 10 or 20 years ago.
Old 12-22-16, 02:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I don't think they've evolved much at all, but it's a bit of a different subject. The basic pedalling dynamics of clipless pedals have not changed at all. They're improved somewhat in shedding mud and dirt, and float. But they still attach your foot the the pedal in basically the same way as they did 10 or 20 years ago.
There is a leap from flats to toeclips with casual shoes to toeclips with cleats to clipless. Although, once one gets to the level of the cleated racing shoes, it may not make a big difference whether one is riding with toeclips or clipless.

There are several models of clipless retention that hasn't changed for quite some time. Speedplay has been around for a very long time. Likewise the small steel SPD cleats have been around for quite some time, although pedal designs have evolved somewhat.

I'm not sure about Look style cleats. Are they the same? Similar?
Old 12-22-16, 12:06 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
MTB shoes are essentially road shoes with added rubber lugs and different cleat hole pattern.

My wife is riding the MAVIC carbon sole MTB shoe and it is easily as stiff as any high-end road shoe...
Originally Posted by leicanthrope
Not universally though. There are some super stiff MTB shoes that are every bit as stiff as road shoes, but plenty that are designed more for walking that have far more flex built into them.
What's your point..?
Old 12-22-16, 12:15 PM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
What's your point..?
That not all mountain bike shoes are super stiff road bike shoes with rubber lugs and a different cleat set up.
Old 12-22-16, 12:18 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by leicanthrope
That not all mountain bike shoes are super stiff road bike shoes with rubber lugs and a different cleat set up.
Re-read my post; didn't say they were all super stiff, said my wife's were...
Old 12-28-16, 05:31 PM
SevenTwentyNine

Bikes: Wheelbarrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony2
I've been on a pair of Eggbeaters for a little over a year now and I've enjoyed them very much, but I think I read something on this site that mentioned an increase in speed with the Speedplays. Is this true? I was considering the Speedplay Zero's but wondered if I'd notice any discernible difference in speed or is the amount (if it even exists) negligible?
Only if you plan to dial it to 400W then drope the hammer.
Old 12-29-16, 10:08 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The efficiency benefits of lock-in pedals will not be fully realized until lock-in saddles and lock-in handlebars are adopted. We have only 3 contact points with the bicycle and there are massive efficiency gains to be made by full lock-in.

For anyone calling for scientific studies to back up my claims I say fooey on them! Who here would believe any of the numerous scientific studies on the non-benefits of lock-in pedals when we have the collective wisdom of the anecdotal claims of 41 contributors!

I love the post truth era. Let this be a fact-check free zone!