Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Crazy Pedestrian this morning

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 09:21 AM
steppinthrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I commute to work daily.

It was around 6ish this morning. I primarily ride on the rode if possible, but I'm forced to enter the sidewalk to bypass several road barricades that I come across. During these hours in the city in this area it's pretty quiet.

Anyway I was heading down the road and was approaching a vehicle barricade. I veered my bike to the right to jump on the sidewalk. There's a break in the sidewalk where wheelchairs and "wheeled" vehicles can transition onto. Whenever I'm coming behind people I always ring my bell several times. Usually It gets their attention and they either look up from their phone or shift their body with confirmation that they are aware of a cycle presence. There was one lonely woman walking down this wide ass sidewalk and she went ballistic when I jumped on the curb. I had my headphones in so I didn't hear what she said, but she went off as I passed her. I'm assuming she just freaked out at the sudden "bang and pop" as I transition from the road to the curb.

Unfortunately just a few yards after passing her I came to a pedestrian cross sign, she did as well. This is one of those long ass signs that I'm always forced to stay.

Just a little more background, In my city I'm legally allowed to ride on the sidewalk.

Anyway she very angrily came to me and stated "Did you know what you did to me? this was the dialog the pursued.

Woman: Did you know what you did to me?
Me: What, what happened to you?
Woman: You came from there and almost hit me?
Me: I made my bell.
(She had a hispanic accent and honestly I couldn't understand her correctly. At this point I'm infuriated since I don't feel I did anything wrong and she was an idiot for not having basic situational awareness. Then she tries to accuse me for hitting her.)
Woman: And you expect me to hear that? #@$$#$#$ You *******.. #@$#@$ You #@$#@$
Me: F--- You ***** (At this point she starts walking the opposite direction and our distance grows)
(At this point we are probably a block apart as I've already crossed the crosswalk).
Woman: #@$#@$@$#@$
Me: ***** (yelled from across the block)
Woman: #@$#@$#@$# (yelled again from across blocks)

IDK she seemed to want to somehow claim that I physically hit her with my bike when that was never the case. I need to start back on wearing my GoPro.
Old 10-31-18, 09:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
How do you know that she was lonely?
Old 10-31-18, 09:26 AM
steppinthrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
How do you know that she was lonely?
Physically lonely. There was no one around that whole block. We are talking pretty early in the morning.
Old 10-31-18, 09:36 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Let me translate from grammar geek to bike geek.

“Lonely woman” is to “lone woman” as “hit the breaks” is to “hit the brakes.”

-mr. bill
Old 10-31-18, 10:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Let me translate from grammar geek to bike geek.

“Lonely woman” is to “lone woman” as “hit the breaks” is to “hit the brakes.”

-mr. bill

To get even more grammar geeky, "lonesome" can mean "lonely" or "lone".
Old 10-31-18, 10:45 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I had a steroided-out jogger dude track me down a couple of years ago and threaten me with bodily harm for passing him on a bike path without calling out. It's a long story but very similar to yours. I didn't touch him or come close to touching him. He had a point about calling out of course, but you know what happens - they jump right in front of your wheel half the time. And if you NEED passing traffic to call out, this is an admission of guilt that YOU are likely to do something stupid. Do I honk my horn every time I pass a car while driving a motor vehicle? No. I expect people to look in a mirror or over their shoulder before changing lanes. Same with peds. I don't feel like yelling at people all day long. BUT...he did have a valid point only to go WAAAAAY overboard to make it.
Old 10-31-18, 11:12 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I had a steroided-out jogger dude track me down a couple of years ago and threaten me with bodily harm for passing him on a bike path without calling out. It's a long story but very similar to yours. I didn't touch him or come close to touching him. He had a point about calling out of course, but you know what happens - they jump right in front of your wheel half the time. And if you NEED passing traffic to call out, this is an admission of guilt that YOU are likely to do something stupid. Do I honk my horn every time I pass a car while driving a motor vehicle? No. I expect people to look in a mirror or over their shoulder before changing lanes. Same with peds. I don't feel like yelling at people all day long. BUT...he did have a valid point only to go WAAAAAY overboard to make it.
Half the people seem to be wearing headphones and don't even hear the call, so one can feel awkward. There is a solution, though. Handle it like you're announcing a sporting event. In your best announcer voice: "The cyclist known as JoeyBike is approaching some angry, roided-out jogger freak. JoeyBike is now moving carefully to the left to pass safely! Nice pass, JoeyBike!"

Is for fun.

-Matt
Old 10-31-18, 11:42 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The world is full of people blaming everyone else for their inadequacies.
Old 10-31-18, 11:46 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
Just a point to consider. Not everyone can hear. Don’t expect people to hear bells, shouts, etc if you come up behind them. It is YOUR responsibility as a rider to pass people courteously and safely. It is not their responsibility to make way.
Old 10-31-18, 12:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Just a point to consider. Not everyone can hear. Don’t expect people to hear bells, shouts, etc if you come up behind them. It is YOUR responsibility as a rider to pass people courteously and safely. It is not their responsibility to make way.
It IS their responsibility to PAY ATTENTION. It is also RUDE to spread out across the entire path, both lanes, as if you are the only person on Earth. "Making way" is another way of saying "don't HOG the path". Why do I have to yell at idiots and inconsiderate people all day on a quiet, relaxing bike path though the woods? Heel the kids and the dogs too while you're at it. Look back before you make some boneheaded U-turn at random. It's not that difficult to be considerate and aware.

I do use a bell, but them listening to music negates the bell usually.
Old 10-31-18, 12:32 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
To get even more grammar geeky, "lonesome" can mean "lonely" or "lone".
Cast Away two word synopsis: Lonesome lonesome survivor.

(P.S. Hyphens matter.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-31-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 12:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Am I the only person who would much rather have a human voice call out than a bell ring? I hate bells--they vary so much in volume that they're really difficult to locate behind you, and they really don't tell you what the rider is doing.

I use a fairly loud "passing on your left". Completely nonambiguous, very easy to say. Just saying "left" confuses people who don't know the drill.
Old 10-31-18, 12:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It IS their responsibility to PAY ATTENTION. It is also RUDE to spread out across the entire path, both lanes, as if you are the only person on Earth. "Making way" is another way of saying "don't HOG the path". Why do I have to yell at idiots and inconsiderate people all day on a quiet, relaxing bike path though the woods? Heel the kids and the dogs too while you're at it. Look back before you make some boneheaded U-turn at random. It's not that difficult to be considerate and aware.

I do use a bell, but them listening to music negates the bell usually.

Funny, I thought the reason I was doing it was that people don't have eyes in the back of their head and I might be going faster than they expect someone to go on a path. People make mistakes, so I don't want to be responsible for ruining someone's life because they forgot to look behind them to cross the other side of the path to get a better look at a butterfly or whatever.

And frankly, someone who gets bent out of shape because parents can't perfectly control their kids with the training wheels is probably way too angry to be out in public. I fully support your decision to retire from recreational riding for everybody's sake.
Old 10-31-18, 12:56 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine

Good answer. OP hasn't said how fast he was going. Need to slow down on these ped passings... almost to walking speed.
Old 10-31-18, 12:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Cast Away two word synopsis: Lonesome lonesome survivor.

(P.S. Hyphens matter.)

-mr. bill

In the words of the Lonely Ranger, "Hi-yo, Silv....sigh."
Old 10-31-18, 01:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

And frankly, someone who gets bent out of shape because parents can't perfectly control their kids with the training wheels is probably way too angry to be out in public. I fully support your decision to retire from recreational riding for everybody's sake.
Kids on foot are a bigger problem that kids on training bikes actually. The other thing I enjoy on segregated paths are the people who walk on the wheels side, and the other folks who have their kid on training wheels going 1mph on the wheeled side because they are on a bike, while the parents/guardians block the walk side. But I fully realize that stepping into the public domain will certainly expose me to human stupidity, inconsideration, and mindlessness. And stepping into the public domain also exposes them to angry old men/women who just want a peaceful ride on the path without yelling at every nincompoop rube who crawls up out of an open landfill and onto the bike path.
Old 10-31-18, 01:20 PM
mr_bill

In the words of the Lonely Ranger, "Hi-yo, Silv....sigh."
The Lone Ranger wasn’t alone.

-mr. bill
Old 10-31-18, 01:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Kids on foot are a bigger problem that kids on training bikes actually. The other thing I enjoy on segregated paths are the people who walk on the wheels side, and the other folks who have their kid on training wheels going 1mph on the wheeled side because they are on a bike, while the parents/guardians block the walk side. But I fully realize that stepping into the public domain will certainly expose me to human stupidity, inconsideration, and mindlessness. And stepping into the public domain also exposes them to angry old men/women who just want a peaceful ride on the path without yelling at every nincompoop rube who crawls up out of an open landfill and onto the bike path.

Whatever. I'm an old fart myself and I just don't find uttering a polite "passing on your left" disrupts my buzz, and actually I have some nice interactions with people. And on an MUP, we are literally the most dangerous users, so I think we have an obligation to courteously warn what you so charmingly call the nincompoop rube.

I ride a lot of MUPs. In sections where it's safe to go fast, I go very fast. If there is foot traffic or slower riders, I slow down sufficiently to ascertain when I can or can't pass safely and don't worry a lot about whether I approve of someone's dog or kid handling practices. I only get angry when I see other bicyclists buzzing kids and dogs like idiots or when some damn fool shines a strobing light in my eyes.

Judging from your spate of increasingly bystander-hostile posts, may I suggest you're now beyond the point where you can find any kind of biking relaxing?
Old 10-31-18, 01:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The Lone Ranger wasn’t alone.

-mr. bill

Now have him set out alone to take out a loan and you've got the start of an Abbott and Costello routine.

Tonto wasn't a ranger, so while the masked man wasn't a lone individual, he was the lone ranger.
Old 10-31-18, 01:37 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Thing is, there is no defined radius to the ”scare zone”.
If I were to pass every voluntarily sensory deprived and/or zoned out pedestrian outside the range of any possible scare zone, I might as well give up commuting. Roads simply aren’t wide enough. And hovering outside the scare zone until noticed would play merry hell with average speed.
Yes, I accept, even embrace my responsibility to be a considerate road user and fellow citizen, but there is a limit to how far the responsibility balance between different road users can be biased.
Ultimately, it is a judgement call. At some interval, another person will disagree with your opinion that ”this gotta be OK”.
Old 10-31-18, 01:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Judging from your spate of increasingly bystander-hostile posts, may I suggest you're now beyond the point where you can find any kind of biking relaxing?
Yes, there are a few places. All require renting a car unfortunately. My favorite place is the Tammany Trace across the lake from New Orleans. 30 miles long through bottomland hardwood forests and swamps. Too far between trailheads for kids, and no pets allowed. It is truly heaven. I have biked/skated it a hundred times+ over the past 30 years of its existence and can't think of even one bad interaction. The path is CLEAN, well maintained, scenic, mostly shaded, and pretty near adults only. Mostly cyclists, a few joggers, and a few skaters. The length of it really spreads out the trail users and weekdays it is deserted. Perfect!

Also the Gulf Coast in Mississippi has some nice paved beach paths. Dogs and children are well heeled (almost non existent anyway) because the paths parallel busy highways. Actually, almost no one uses the paths for fitness. Again, weekdays are deserted. There are also two large bridges along the way with wide pedestrian walkways. Zero dogs and kids because the bridges are about 2 miles long with a huge hump near the center.

So YES!...I can be happy on a bike or skates. Thanks for asking!
Old 10-31-18, 01:43 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
You folks having a difficult time negotiating with slower "traffic" on the MUP sound just like motorists complaining about cyclists.

Consider that perspective for a moment, and how YOU want to be treated when sharing the roadway... then extend that desired courtesy to other users of the MUP.
Old 10-31-18, 01:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
It IS their responsibility to PAY ATTENTION. It is also RUDE to spread out across the entire path, both lanes, as if you are the only person on Earth. ....
True. Now if only this woman was blocking a path, not just minding her own business on a sideWALK. I walk sidewalks without looking for overtaking bikes.

Ben
Old 10-31-18, 01:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
True. Now if only this woman was blocking a path, not just minding her own business on a sideWALK. I walk sidewalks without looking for overtaking bikes.

Ben
I pay close attention to my surroundings no matter what I am doing. Like a gazelle on the Serengeti. I look over my shoulder about every 15-30 seconds walking on sidewalks. I look in my rear-view mirror once every 5-15 seconds while cycling on roadways or bike paths. I never change my line of travel without a look over my shoulder or into a mirror. Never. It's the safe and polite way to live. And I have never been startled by someone overtaking me in any of those places. I even look over my shoulder cutting my lawn before I change my line. Every time.
Old 10-31-18, 01:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yes, there are a few places. All require renting a car unfortunately. My favorite place is the Tammany Trace across the lake from New Orleans. 30 miles long through bottomland hardwood forests and swamps. Too far between trailheads for kids, and no pets allowed. It is truly heaven. I have biked/skated it a hundred times+ over the past 30 years of its existence and can't think of even one bad interaction. The path is CLEAN, well maintained, scenic, mostly shaded, and pretty near adults only. Mostly cyclists, a few joggers, and a few skaters. The length of it really spreads out the trail users and weekdays it is deserted. Perfect!

Also the Gulf Coast in Mississippi has some nice paved beach paths. Dogs and children are well heeled (almost non existent anyway) because the paths parallel busy highways. Actually, almost no one uses the paths for fitness. Again, weekdays are deserted. There are also two large bridges along the way with wide pedestrian walkways. Zero dogs and kids because the bridges are about 2 miles long with a huge hump near the center.

So YES!...I can be happy on a bike or skates. Thanks for asking!

Great, so either just ride there or get over yourself and call your passes on populated paths without hostility like a considerate human should.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.