Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Repairing and maintaining your own bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Repairing and maintaining your own bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 09:36 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artkansas
That's why everyone should have a spare bike.
or 2 or 3 or....
Old 08-15-07, 07:37 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I too am just learning to work on my bikes, one task at a time. I recently replaced the rear axel, cones, and bearings on my Trek 820. I have a new cassette and chain on order. Next I'm going to teach myself about shifters,then bottom brackets.
I read as much as I can about a procedure before I do it, like on the Sheldon Brown site. Then I just go ahead and do it. Sometimes the descriptions of procedures can be confusing and intimidating. But if a person has any kind of mechanical aptitude and some experience with tools it seems like most of these procedures are doable. Like anything else, you just start off with what knowledge and experience you have and go from there.
Old 08-15-07, 10:27 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Hey Bud Bent. Are you my long lost twin?
LOL, must be. After I bought my shiny new Corsa, and sold the old bike I used to be constantly upgrading and tinkering with, I soon realized I couldn't stand not having at least one bike that begged for projects on it. Enter the Nimbus.
Old 08-22-07, 09:01 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I started my bicycle overhaul class tonight. It was so cool. Replaced the bearings in my hubs. I found a damaged cone. It rides so smooth now... a 25 year old bike that spins like new. I just want to go around breathing life into old bikes now.
Old 08-22-07, 09:05 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I started my bicycle overhaul class tonight. It was so cool. Replaced the bearings in my hubs. I found a damaged cone. It rides so smooth now... a 25 year old bike that spins like new. I just want to go around breathing life into old bikes now.
How cool! I really want to take a comprehensive, hands-on class. Maybe you can take videos and post them here.
Old 08-23-07, 09:25 PM
Tat2Art

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Sierra 10 speed, 1997 Diamondback Lakeside Hybrid & 19?? Nishiki Custom Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm a lot like everyone else in this thread. I'd rather learn to do it myself and feel confident it's done right then spend money in a LBS. That money is better spent on good tools. I’ve read a lot then dove in. Don't let truing wheels scare you I purchased a truing stand and it's not that hard after giving it a shot as long as you've got patience and you're not truing wheels for Lance. Lateral truing isn't hard at all and it's the rounding that is getting me but I'm not giving up. I ride daily on my wheels and have no complaints. BTW I've never worked on a front wheel. I start with the hard parts first. Do yourself a real big favor; get a good bicycle repair stand. I started by the old rope hanging from the rafters routine. You need some real stability to get those nuts and bolts nice and tight. Also don't over tighten; I think out of all the hurdles I've had to overcome was stripping bolts. Over tightening is not always the best way to go. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-24-07, 05:29 AM
ang1sgt

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been around the Industry for the better part of 35 years. Started out as a 16 year old sweeping floors and hauling out the trash in a Schwinn Shop. Switched to working on Jets in the USAF and found a sideline working the fleet of bikes for the flightline areas. Heavy Working class bikes that got more abuse than most have ever seen.

In the early 90's after returning from a Federal Call up for Desert Storm, I was asked to help out my local Boy Scout Council start a Mountain Bike Program in the Adirondack Mountains. Worked that program for a few years as a Summer Volunteer repairing bikes and building new trails.

Worked at two different Shops Since then and still do a lot of maintenance in the neighborhood. Seems like some of the kids search me out. I try and teach the kids how to do things for themselves and to NOT attack their bikes with a Vise Grip! I have just enough tools to get me into trouble and buy more at least on a monthly basis either for my cars or the bikes.

I use a portable stand that I used to haul everywhere with me. I've been looking at getting a Park Single Arm Pro stand, but they take up so much space and are heavy. Still need to buy a GOOD truing stand, but put that off due to working at a shop and having one there to use whenever I need it.

I've built many a bike from a bare frame on up. Those are a lot of fun. My goal is to take classes and build a frame. That would be the ultimate for me!

Chris
Old 08-24-07, 07:18 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I'll work on my bike if I have to -- like the bike shop is closed and the alternative is driving to work. I don't enjoy it though, and it bothers me that most modern bikes require so much tinkering. It used to be that bikes were reliable and cars required constant tinkering.

Paul
Old 08-24-07, 10:37 AM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Repairing and maintaining your own bike is the most important thing you can do. You will soon 'know' your ride and be able to tell very early when something is out of kilter. Most of the time, it can be fixed with an adjustment and/or tightening/lubing. If you let ilt go, it may require an expensive repair later. Also, if you know your bike, you can do emergency repairs on the road because you understand how everythilng works. I like it because I can keep it in perfect tune, all the time, without going to the shop every month. This alone is worth going through the learning curve. bk
Old 08-24-07, 12:33 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I'll work on my bike if I have to -- like the bike shop is closed and the alternative is driving to work. I don't enjoy it though, and it bothers me that most modern bikes require so much tinkering. It used to be that bikes were reliable and cars required constant tinkering.

Paul
I'm pretty much the reverse of this. I'll take my bike to the shop for work only if I get so busy that I absolutely don't have time to work on a bike before I need to ride it or if it needs something done that I don't know how or have the equipment/tools to do myself.

Early on I would be nervous about the work I did and would sometimes take my bike to the shop so I could be sure something was done right. Now I find myself double checking and often redoing anything done to my bike by a mechanic. I only trust it if I did it myself.
Old 08-24-07, 12:46 PM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knowing how -and not being afraid- to has saved me on the road on more than one occasion.
When your riding alone and your FD cable slips out (!) being able to clamp it back in and adjust it means the difference between a long walk home and continuing on your merry way. Plus I have a really nice Park Tool stand... I see myself doing a lot, if not most, of my own maintenance.
Old 08-24-07, 02:36 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
The skills I acquired from working on my bicycles have paid handsomely when I have tackled automobile and appliance repairs. It's nice to have a garage pegboard wall full of hand tools and the knowledge and confidence to use them.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-24-07, 04:20 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My project is in pieces all over the house soaking and I am totally freaked out by it. I had signed up for this overhaul class because I thought it would be organized... one thing at a time. But my bike is so old and needs so much more work that I'm having to do stuff at home that the other people don't have to do. Like replace all my cables and scrub my derailleurs.

My dog took the new Nitto stem out in the yard when I wasn't looking. At least he didn't bury it.

I spent a fortune on stupid little rubber brake hoods.

Old 08-24-07, 06:14 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I notice that no-ones admitted to doing the work themselves ... then taking it to the shop to get it fixed

Personally, I like to muck things up myself. As someone said earlier, why pay someone else to do as bad a job as I'd do? Besides, as others have commented, I'm a fussy bear - pity about the conflict between competence and aspiration.

Richard
Old 08-25-07, 12:06 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
"My dog took the new Nitto stem out in the yard when I wasn't looking. At least he didn't bury it"

A dog helper can sometimes slow you down. Some years ago, I tore down a diesel engine for a rebuild and my labrador pup kept picking up pieces & bringing them over to give me. This became a lifelong habit for her & she would return bike parts or dropped tools. Here she is with a Grand Jubile we worked on. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Giles.jpg (73.0 KB, 11 views)