Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Thread for Beginning or Returning Bicyclers - Welcome

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Thread for Beginning or Returning Bicyclers - Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 01:07 PM
AuntieM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for making a sticky for beginning riders. I've read these posts with interest.

This is a reply from robtown when I asked a beginner question and it has been very helpful to me. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here, but I just checked and no one else has mentioned it yet.

When I did not commute year round the first 3-5 mile ride would tear me up. It'd take 2 - 3 weeks of consistent riding to get up to 10 miles. Take it easy and have a day or two rest between rides.
If you are riding a geared bike you may want to use / shift to the lower gears - new riders often "mash" or push high gears at low RPMs. That's very hard on your body. If you have gear cogs on the back of the bike the lower gears are the largest ones closer to the spokes. For the front cogs, the lowest gear range is the cog/chainring closest to the frame (also the smallest). For hybrid and moutain bikes the lowest front and rear gears are labeled "1" or "I".
Old 10-27-07, 09:53 PM
ithinkican

Bikes: still deciding -- it will be a holiday gift to myself!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep -- I'm 50+ + + . . .

Hopefully you all will accept me here . . .
Please forgive me for repeating my post from the intro section -- I do need advice . . .
Hi everyone! I feel like the "Little Engine that Could" -- hence my screen name. I don't think I've been on a bike in 30 years but I'm going to give it a try. I have an opportunity to own either a 2007 Trek Navigator 2.0 WSD or a 2007 Trek 7200 WSD lowstep. I have read a lot here on the forums -- even though the bikes have several different attributes, many opinions seem to consider these bikes as very similar in comfort and purpose.

Trust me -- at this moment I can't imagine riding 5 miles, let alone building up to any cross country endurance or racing trials. I will be riding on my neighborhood paved and somewhat to moderately hilly streets and bike paths for sometime to come. Mostly I would like to add some exercise to my basically sedentary life style. Okay -- I am 61 but not in terrible shape -- average height, 112 pounds, non-smoker, confident riding a bike is something my body will remember how to do.

I am leaning toward the Navigator. It seems to be the one on which I will feel the most confident, the most secure, and in the most control. What I would not necessarily want to do is compromise quality for the sake of "comfort" if both bikes offer a similar level of "rideability" and the 7200 is made of finer tuned parts.

I would love to hear any and all of your opinions, insights, pros and cons about these two Trek models. Thanks so much!!

I guess I should introduce myself a bit more. I live in Scottsdale, AZ -- lots of great biking weather here! When I am not thinking about getting some exercise I am sitting at my Mac doing graphic design, or volunteering my PR skills, or reading, or traveling or visiting my grand kids on the East Coast or hopping a plane to Vegas.

Looking forward to sharing and your support -- I think I can, I think I can . . . . .
Old 10-29-07, 10:23 AM
curvesarein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I can!

You can! Can't give you any advice on the bike to buy, I ride a LandRider autoshift,(only about $400), happy with it, but I don't plan to do Marathons any time soon. I am 52, female, riding for six months. Hubby joined me four months ago. When I started I was on a mountain bike that was given to me and a bit too small, but I rode it for two months. Could barely go around the block, and I had been walking every day for 8 months before trying this. Now I can bike 8 miles. That is the most I have done in one shot. Not much compared to some, but a long way from where I started. I too am in Az, Kingman, just two hours from Vegas. Looking at the winter threads, I am glad I am here! I could bike all summer and I am sure I can manage winter now. Just remember , you can do it, you are never too old for change and you will get hooked, we have.
Linda
Old 10-31-07, 01:54 PM
ithinkican

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Linda, thanks for the encouragement! I do plan to start off slowly -- I will be pleased and amazed to do eight miles. I do know that as leisurely as I approach getting back to riding a bike, it will still be way more physical exercise than I get now! That will be a good thing!
Old 11-02-07, 11:13 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Take my advice, even though you won't understand at first. Get yourself a white bike.
My mountain bike is white (GT Zaskar LE), but none of my road bikes are!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-08-07, 07:24 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
My mountain bike is white (GT Zaskar LE), but none of my road bikes are!

Rick / OCRR
Get it painted some other color - any other color. We don't want to encourage DG.
Old 11-25-07, 05:19 PM
1bluetrek

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All good stuff so far! I'm four years behind in age and years behind in cycling, mind if I evesdrop from time to time?
Old 11-25-07, 07:27 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 1bluetrek
All good stuff so far! I'm four years behind in age and years behind in cycling, mind if I evesdrop from time to time?

You got any blueberry pie?
Old 12-07-07, 02:23 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am my father's son; a born "tinkerer". As a kid I rode everywhere or I stayed home. I dis-assembled/re-assembled painted/re-painted every bike I ever owned. I am back for my last chapter of cycling.

My plan........find an average to good quality bike; restore it; ride it while I work on my next one. I will be selling/buying/riding 2 - 3 bikes at the same time..............then I'll move on to 3- wheelers.........and then recliners & remote controls..............................
Old 12-15-07, 11:42 AM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About seven years ago at the age of 55 I bought my first bicycle since I was a youngster. It was a Trek 7500 and at $400 brand new was a great deal. I rode it around on 10 milers for a long time, and rode it to my tennis club to play tennis (20 mile round trip). I bought my wife a hybrid as well and we just rode around for fun and exercise. About five years ago I was in a bike shop and ended up buying a LeMond Buenos Aires with a triple Ultegra drive. This bike cost a lot more than the Trek so I began to think that I should do something with it to justify spending all of that money.

I spent six months training on the LeMond, fitted a rear rack and two panniers, and rode it on the Southern Tier solo unsupported. What did I know from bicycles? This road bike worked just fine for training on the road and for touring.

After that first good experience riding, I was hooked. Then I bought a carbon bike, just because. And a real touring bike, just because. And this year I rode that touring bike from Florida to Oregon, just because.

My point is, you do not have to be an experienced cyclist to get a bike and ride. If I have learned anything the last few years it is that very few other cyclists agree with the way I do things. But that is okay. As long as we all ride and enjoy ourselves, and stay fit.

See you on the road.
Old 12-17-07, 09:24 AM
ithinkican

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could tell your story! I'm writing this for all those too embarassed to do so. I have had my bike for a week. Granted, I am 61 and haven't been on a bike in maybe 25-30 years, but I was sure I could not have forgotten how to stay upright and pedal. True enough! Unfortunately, I have yet to leave my cul-du-sac.

Problem is, the last bike I was on (a rental) had maybe 3 speeds and a foot brake. So I'm realizing how much coordination is required just to ride a simple Trek comfort bike -- I could actually break something (On me! On the bike!) before I get the hang of it.

Generally speaking, I'm a pretty gutsy lady, I take chances. At 53 I left a sad marriage and drove alone clear across the country to start a new life. I have ridden many many roller coasters -- the ones like Superman the Ride, and the ones life hands out.

I hate that my confidence level for this bike thing is so much lower than my determination to master what seemed so possible, so natural, so simple. Aarrgghh -- I do not want to break any bones (osteoporosis makes this a very real possibility).

I need a bike with automatic transmission!!
Old 12-17-07, 11:25 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by ithinkican
I need a bike with automatic transmission!!
They make bikes with automatic transmissions.

But for now, just keep your bike in one comfortable gear until you get comfortable with pedaling, steering, balance and the rest.

Many of us learned on single-speed bikes and many still ride them.

Things will get better.
Old 12-17-07, 12:13 PM
ithinkican

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"But for now, just keep your bike in one comfortable gear until you get comfortable with pedaling, steering, balance and the rest."

Thank you for the encouragement -- I'm not giving up yet!
Old 12-17-07, 09:10 PM
Tat2Art

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Sierra 10 speed, 1997 Diamondback Lakeside Hybrid & 19?? Nishiki Custom Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
inspiration

Originally Posted by lighthorse
... After that first good experience riding, I was hooked. Then I bought a carbon bike, just because. And a real touring bike, just because. And this year I rode that touring bike from Florida to Oregon, just because.

My point is, you do not have to be an experienced cyclist to get a bike and ride. If I have learned anything the last few years it is that very few other cyclists agree with the way I do things. But that is okay. As long as we all ride and enjoy ourselves, and stay fit.

See you on the road.
Well lighthorse, great story, you are truly an inspiration. Hats off to you. Man Florida to Oregon that sounds so cool. I wouldn't mind reading of those adventures. I actually have visions of me riding from Las Vegas (my now home) to the East Coast. You're on my hero list.

Yes, I'd be honored to "see you on the road" (just because) [great slogan and I'm gonna steal it, yup, just because! Haha].
Old 12-17-07, 09:18 PM
Tat2Art

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Sierra 10 speed, 1997 Diamondback Lakeside Hybrid & 19?? Nishiki Custom Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ithinkican
... Granted, I am 61 and haven't been on a bike in maybe 25-30 years, but I was sure I could not have forgotten how to stay upright and pedal. True enough! Unfortunately, I have yet to leave my cul-du-sac....
In 2 months I'll be 55, the double nickel. I started riding again about 2 years ago around the block only and now I'm up to 11.5 miles a day about 5 or 6 days a week. 61 or 55 it's only a number and what sometimes makes me feel good is to simply switch over to the Celsius scale, that makes me about 12 and 1/2. Good luck from Las Vegas, NV.
Old 12-17-07, 10:01 PM
knotty
Lost in Nostalgia

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here, here now, 55, 61, just babies! Whatever bike you have, the first thing is to be street wise. Be aware of all the possible dangers and traps with eyes wide open. That way, you'll long enjoy cycling. There are some great Internet sites on bike safety. Just Google bike safety, fun to read too.

That said, just work up to longer and longer rides. I just started 6 months ago after a 20 year layoff and began by going to the beach 2 miles away. Then a little further 4 miles away. Now six months later I'm up to over a century. Next year, when the days get longer, I'll be working towards one day 150 mile rides and double centuries. It's amazing what a 60,70 year old can do, of course you can do it, no question about it. I enjoy chasing down those hotshots 30 years younger and giving them a hard time on the flats and hills..it's great training too...LOL

Good for you on taking up cycling, it'll revitalize you, physically and mentally.

I'm planning what and where I'll ride in my 70's and beyond. Bikes are great, fast, smooth and most of all, keeps youth near by. But, safety first.
Old 12-18-07, 07:21 AM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring Journals

Tat2art,
If you are interested in touring then a really good place to go and read touring logs is "crazyguyonabike.com". That web site is full of touring journals from all over the world, including a large number from around the U.S. Mine can be found here:
crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

good luck
Old 12-18-07, 11:42 PM
Tat2Art

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lighthorse
... crazyguyonabike.com ...
Thanks for the link, I'll be there first chance I get and I'll be visiting your journal first.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 12-19-07, 12:01 AM
Tat2Art

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knotty
Here, here now, 55, 61, just babies! ... But, safety first.
Ha! "babies" I guess I owe you some $$ for that one, took me a while to get up off the floor laughing my butt off.
Safety first, yup, 100% agreed, I just started wearing a helmet about 4 months ago since I've decided to do the majority of errands within 10 from my house on my bike and have some crazy drivers to deal with. Sidewalks aren't even safe in this town. Saw someone text messaging while driving about a week ago.
Thanks to you also for the encouragement.
Matter of fact I've found this entire site to be very encouraging in a lot of ways. Educational too. I'm doing my own wrenching now and just knowing the bike is tuned, adjusted and assembled right is comforting.
Old 12-19-07, 06:50 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Tat2Art
Sidewalks aren't even safe in this town.
FYI, generally, sidewalks are one of the LEAST safe place one can ride.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-19-07 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-20-07, 07:19 PM
Tat2Art

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
FYI, generally, sidewalks are one of the LEAST safe place one can ride.
OK DnvrFox for those of us that are not as enlightened/experienced could you please elaborate? Thanks
Old 12-20-07, 07:29 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Tat2Art
OK DnvrFox for those of us that are not as enlightened/experienced could you please elaborate? Thanks
There is a whole bunch of stuff about the dangers of riding on sidewalks.

Go to google.com

type in

site:bikeforums.net dangers of riding on sidewalks

Also, ask your question in the Advocacy and Safety forum to get an earful!!

Mainly, it concerns that cars do not expect a bike on the sidewalk, and therefore intersections such as alleys, street crossings, etc., become highly dangerous. I know I have almost taken out a bike or two scooting along on a sidewalk because I just didn't think to look there while driving.

Also, there are kids, peds, other obstructions.

In some cities it is illegal.

If the sidewalk is a part of a trail system, and is designed for bikes, it is a different matter, IMHO. We have some of those around here. They are wider and in little traveled areas.
Old 01-04-08, 10:54 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I should introduce myself a bit more. I live in Scottsdale, AZ -- lots of great biking weather here! When I am not thinking about getting some exercise I am sitting at my Mac doing graphic design, or volunteering my PR skills, or reading, or traveling or visiting my grand kids on the East Coast or hopping a plane to Vegas.

Looking forward to sharing and your support -- I think I can, I think I can . . . . .
ithinkican, you could google the Arizona Bicycle Club. there are many chapters, and you could possibly find one to ride with. There are many groupls out of Granada Park, at all levels.

Good Luck
Old 01-11-08, 06:31 PM
mrbag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to forum, pushing 69 years old!

Hi: I'm replying to you just because I happen to be in Florida for a couple of months (fugitive from cold Connecticut) and I just bought a bike. I got a folding model from Citizen bikes so I can take it home with me. Trouble is, I just got on the thing today and could hardly ride more than a few minutes! Felt totally exhausted! I'm reasonably fit, walk a lot, but haven't been on a bike in years. Is there any hope for me? I think I have the bike correctly adjusted and it only weighs 35 pounds, but it does have those small 20" wheels. Anyone using a folding bike like this? Can I hope for improvement? Any special exercises I should do?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-08, 07:03 PM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Citizen also, I didn't have any problems to start, is the bike fitted for your height. The gearing is made for moderate riding. The bike is a little heavy for a folder also, it may take a few rides unitl you are comfortable and used to riding again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.