Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 05:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Oh, hey...(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-20-22, 05:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by njkayaker
"Normal speed" is ambiguous. That still doesn't mean a cyclist riding at a particular speed necessarily defines what "normal" is (which is what you were claiming).

It would need to be tested in court as to what "a reasonable person" would see it as. It seems likely that the speed limit would have some bearing to what "a reasonable person" would see the normal speed would be in a given/particular situation.

That's not what I said. I said when there are 50 cyclists in a group and one car, the cyclists by definition are moving at the speed of traffic.
EDIT: Your deployment of a straw man is noted, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you simply misunderstood me, rather than willfully misinterpreting me.

Old 04-20-22, 05:19 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Oh, hey...(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

Yes, you can over take another vehicle. It's a short term thing. Once you have passed the other vehicle, then the earlier (main part) of that law applies.

This stuff isn't that hard. (I hope you don't drive.)
Old 04-20-22, 05:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yes, you can over take another vehicle. It's a short term thing. Once you have passed the other vehicle, then the earlier (main part) of that law applies.

This stuff isn't that hard. (I hope you don't drive.)
A peloton is a group of riders constantly in the process of overtaking other riders. BTW, this would mean that a rotating paceline can take up the lane because the riders on the side moving up are overtaking the riders on the side falling back.

Old 04-20-22, 05:25 PM
njkayaker

That's not what I said. I said when there are 50 cyclists in a group and one car, the cyclists by definition are moving at the speed of traffic.
So what? They aren't necessarily travelling at the speed of all traffic.

They still could be travelling at less than the speed of normal traffic.

A peloton is a group of riders constantly in the process of overtaking other riders. BTW, this would mean that a rotating paceline can take up the lane because the riders on the side moving up are overtaking the riders on the side falling back.
So what? Where is the term "peloton" in the CA traffic law?

The law isn't considering passing as something "constant" anyway.

Bizarre.
Old 04-20-22, 05:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

BTW, I've been driving since 1974, and apart from deer, without incident. But I don't drive in New Jersey, where I assume you are. SO you're safe.

Old 04-20-22, 05:29 PM
njkayaker

BTW, I've been driving since 1974, and apart from deer, without incident. But I don't drive in New Jersey, where I assume you are. SO you're safe.
Given your poor understanding of traffic law, you must be very lucky.
Old 04-20-22, 05:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

So what? They aren't necessarily travelling at the speed of all traffic.

They still could be travelling at less than the speed of normal traffic.
Which you admitted above is poorly defined, if defined at all.

So what? Where is the term "peloton" in the CA traffic law?

The law isn't considering passing as something "constant" anyway.

Bizarre.
A peloton does not need to be defined under law to consist of cyclists passing other cyclists. I'd have thought that was clear.

Old 04-20-22, 05:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Given your poor understanding of traffic law, you must be very lucky.
Or your understanding of my understanding is very poor, which seems much the more likely.

Old 04-20-22, 05:33 PM
njkayaker

Or your understanding of my understanding is very poor, which seems much the more likely.
No, no chance at all (I gave ample evidence of your lack of understanding).

A peloton does not need to be defined under law to consist of cyclists passing other cyclists. I'd have thought that was clear.
A "peloton" doesn't have to have "cyclists passing other cyclists" anyway.

​​​​​​What you are straining to call "passing" might not be legal if it's not on the left. And there's the possible illegality of not maintains a "safe following distance". Riding in pelotons isn't particularly safe. If you want to be allowed to ride in them, you probably don't want the law to look too closely at them.

So, you admit you are pathological. That explains a lot.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-20-22 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 05:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Sometime back, I was similarly engaged in a pointless argument with a pointless arguer, who eventually asked why I was still bothering. I replied, "Pathological need to get the last word, but this time, I'll let you have the last word."

He replied, "Thank you!"

I replied, "You're welcome!"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-20-22, 05:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Sometime back, I was similarly engaged in a pointless argument with a pointless arguer, who eventually asked why I was still bothering. I replied, "Pathological need to get the last word, but this time, I'll let you have the last word."

He replied, "Thank you!"

I replied, "You're welcome!"
Hey, second time today! never get tired of this: https://dai.ly/x2hwqn9
Old 04-20-22, 06:25 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
If the group rides were illegal they would be stopped, since the city is fully aware of them and no attempts are made at stopping them, they are de facto legal. A few days ago a car overtook a group in a dangerous way that caused a Facebook post with people talking about how we can safely make that turn. It was suggested that riders in the back signal the turn, which makes sense because a peloton is essentially an oversized vehicle and should be treated as such
Old 04-20-22, 06:59 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
The only time I ride on a sidewalk is when it connects a short section of a MUP. Otherwise, I'm always out on the road where I belong.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 04-20-22, 07:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I learned how to "drive" on a motorcycle and, following that, I thought that all drivers should be subjected to the same education - unless you're a complete moron, your sense of vulnerability leads to greater awareness of conditions, the behavior and patterns of drivers around you, etc, and it think that it helps to anticipate, to think a couple steps ahead, to always have an out, etc.
Interesting point. Really makes me think.

Two key points for me: my father was killed (traffic accident) by a truck driver who made a serious mistake, and then twenty years later my wife and I were very nearly killed by another driver who was too busy eating a cheeseburger to avoid hitting us at about 45mph. Both events made me a much more thoughtful and careful driver.
Old 04-20-22, 07:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Y'all sure do make it easy for Larry to get what he wants.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-20-22, 07:37 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
….Both events made me a much more thoughtful and careful driver.
And there it is, in a nutshell.

How can we motivate most road users to be thoughtful and careful, without having “events”?
Likes For flangehead:
Old 04-20-22, 07:38 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
And there it is, in a nutshell.

How can we motivate most road users to be thoughtful and careful, without having “events”?
I have spent about the last 30 years trying not to get run over, or run over anyone else.
Old 04-20-22, 08:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18426 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Y'all sure do make it easy for Larry to get what he wants.
Yep. Cut off its food supply.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-20-22, 08:17 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
No. You can certainly impede traffic in a car (which is traffic). Cyclists aren't generally covered by the "impeding traffic" law because they can move to the right to allow other traffic through.

Note that pedestrians are "traffic" too (see how far you'd get strolling in the middle of a 50mph lane).

Cyclists don't generally have the right to ride where ever they like. You are assuming rights they don't have.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=1.&article=4.

No, it's actually "a speed less than the normal speed of traffic".
i’m glad you quoted that - but this “except” applies to a LOT of situations:

(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a “substandard width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
basically, if the lane isn’t wide enough for a bike and a car to safely ride side by side, you do NOT need to ride as close as practical to the right hand curb.
Old 04-20-22, 09:11 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What’s next for the OP? A waving thread?
Chain lube?
Old 04-21-22, 04:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Having ridden in such a swarm a number of times, I disagree. It's invigorating, fun, companionable, etc. You can go faster than you'd thought possible.

And it depends on the road and the time of day. Drivers think nothing of taking up an entire lane, all the time. Cyclists' rights are not superior to those of everyone else, but they're also not inferior. As I say - 30 cyclists, one driver. They're not impeding traffic. They ARE the traffic.

30 cyclists do not equal one driver legally or practically. They take up a lot more room on the road and staying together requires absolute control over the other traffic. If you won't see that drivers would need a permit before 30 of them could block off a road to drive together, I don't think there's any reasonable discussion that can be had. If you think cyclists can do that, it's definitely a right other operators on the road do not have, so yes you are claiming bicyclists have rights superior to drivers.

And racing cars 100 mph on a highway would also be invigorating, fun, companionable, etc. I said no "practical" purpose, you're just saying it's fun.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-21-22 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-21-22, 04:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
they used to occasionally ride single file up one of the starting roads as a sort of bicycle advocacy event, show the cars what it’s like to pass a group of 50-100 cyclists single file. There is nothing illegal about riding in large groups, and frankly the laws don’t really matter as long as the police don’t care. Slavery was legal once etc etc

50-100 vehicles of any kind is a parade. Most places, that requires a permit.

You're describing people who are intentionally being annoying.

And this does involve public safety. Throw emergency vehicles into the mix and there's going to be huge problems.
Old 04-21-22, 04:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mschwett
i’m glad you quoted that - but this “except” applies to a LOT of situations:

basically, if the lane isn’t wide enough for a bike and a car to safely ride side by side, you do NOT need to ride as close as practical to the right hand curb.

That's true, but what's being argued here is that by constantly passing each other, bicyclists can expand that "not wide enough" exception and then declare themselves to be the "traffic" whose speed defines the road. That's a ridiculous reading of the statute because that changes that exception to one car plus two or more bikes which is clearly contrary to the plain wording. If all that's happening is groups are taking the lane an individual rider could legally take, then there's really no legal question. What I'm objecting to here is to say that the size of the group can be used as an excuse to take the lane because the cyclists can't safely ride together without doing so.
Old 04-21-22, 05:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
If the group rides were illegal they would be stopped, since the city is fully aware of them and no attempts are made at stopping them, they are de facto legal. A few days ago a car overtook a group in a dangerous way that caused a Facebook post with people talking about how we can safely make that turn. It was suggested that riders in the back signal the turn, which makes sense because a peloton is essentially an oversized vehicle and should be treated as such

So by that logic, the car's dangerous pass was de facto legal. Ride as a large peloton in a place where you shouldn't, you're on your own. Your pretending to signal for the group wouldn't matter because legally the group isn't a thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.