Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I have never ridden a high end road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I have never ridden a high end road bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 07:23 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Chuckle... I was actually thinking of a George Carlin routine about other drivers on the road... basically "How do you define an a**hol* ? Anyone that drives 5mph faster or 5mph slower than me..."
I'd describe the butthole as the guy who constantly passes you when going downhill because he's heavier, but that you keep on passing when climbing hills because he's unfit and inconsistent. This little game can last for a loooooooooong time and can become very annoying.
Old 09-07-23, 08:25 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
You don't need a $10k+, carbon fiber, disc brake, e-shift bike to race. Thousands of amateurs race - and win - every weekend on bikes worth a fraction of that. Top racers aren't top racers because of the bike they ride. Top racers get to ride top bikes because they are top racers. Yes, some amateurs are fortunate to be able to spend a lot of money on their racing equipment. Some make do with what they can afford on more limited budgets.

You're guessing.

The UCI imposed a minimum weight limit when bikes under that limit were considered unsafe. Not long after that, pro teams were adding things like power meters to bring the bikes up to the weight limit, because top-level, standard-production bikes were easily and safely built to be under the limit.

Top level racers aren't buying their own bikes. As noted above, amateur racing can be done very successfully on less-than-premium equipment.

You're guessing.

You're making assumptions and speculations that aren't based on facts or experience.

You're guessing.

You said before...

This isn't just about competitive cyclists. In your own words, this is ANYONE who rides a CF bike. I know of dozens of examples from my own friends and acquaintances, as well as my personal experience, that provide contrary examples to your assumption.

One more time...you're guessing.
Chris Horner was a top cyclist and now rides TI. He could ride what ever he wanted and explains this
Old 09-07-23, 09:08 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I'd describe the butthole as the guy who constantly passes you when going downhill because he's heavier, but that you keep on passing when climbing hills because he's unfit and inconsistent. This little game can last for a loooooooooong time and can become very annoying.
It's hard to blame someone for being subject to the laws of physics.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 09-07-23 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-07-23, 09:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
How do you propose this not happen?

- Do you expect the heavier rider to ride the brakes downhill to allow the lighter rider to pull ahead and stay ahead?
- Do you expect the lighter rider to push a harder gear and go faster downhill to allow them to pull ahead and stay ahead?

Clearly you dont expect the 2nd option, since you are blaming the heavy rider for this 'problem'.
Old 09-07-23, 09:22 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I won't pass a rider in front on the flats if the terrain is going up in the near future. Otherwise, I might look like the rider you're describing. What's/who's really annoying though, are those whiny, scrawny, little climber types that want you to help them get down the road faster on the flats or in the wind, but want to drop you like a bad penny on the hills. I've had plenty of encounters with those A-holes.
Old 09-07-23, 09:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I would say it's fair play if the heavy guy can stay close enough on the climbs to get back in on the descents. Sounds like equal fitness to me. Like I weigh 85 kg at the moment at 6'1" and so if some 65 kg, 5' 5" dude is unable to drop me sufficiently on a climb to stop me hauling him back on the descent then tough.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-07-23, 09:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Chris Horner was a top cyclist and now rides TI. He could ride what ever he wanted and explains this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7_N...2bVjpn&index=8
Good advice from a guy who has been there and done that, but I'm not sure how it relates to my comments that you quoted.
Old 09-07-23, 09:43 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would say it's fair play if the heavy guy can stay close enough on the climbs to get back in on the descents. Sounds like equal fitness to me. Like I weigh 85 kg at the moment at 6'1" and so if some 65 kg, 5' 5" dude is unable to drop me sufficiently on a climb to stop me hauling him back on the descent then tough.
I've encountered this so many times over the years. Riding with "A" groups I am almost always the slowest climber so I typically red-line it on climbs to limit my losses. Then some of them want to neutralize any advantage I might get on the descents or flats. Of course this is after they had a nice rest waiting for me at the top.
Old 09-07-23, 09:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

In a competitive situation, that would just be a guy using his advantages to the best of his abilities to stay in the race. If you can't get a big enough gap on the climbs to keep him from coming past you on the descents, maybe you need to up your climbing - or descending - game
Old 09-07-23, 09:51 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by big john
I've encountered this so many times over the years. Riding with "A" groups I am almost always the slowest climber so I typically red-line it on climbs to limit my losses. Then some of them want to neutralize any advantage I might get on the descents or flats. Of course this is after they had a nice rest waiting for me at the top.
And they're sitting there with arms folded and a smirk on their face like you did something wrong.
Old 09-07-23, 09:54 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How do you propose this not happen?

- Do you expect the heavier rider to ride the brakes downhill to allow the lighter rider to pull ahead and stay ahead?
- Do you expect the lighter rider to push a harder gear and go faster downhill to allow them to pull ahead and stay ahead?

Clearly you dont expect the 2nd option, since you are blaming the heavy rider for this 'problem'.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's had to blame someone for being subject to the laws of physics.
Originally Posted by seypat
I won't pass a rider in front on the flats if the terrain is going up in the near future. Otherwise, I might look like the rider you're describing. What's/who's really annoying though, are those whiny, scrawny, little climber types that want you to help them get down the road faster on the flats or in the wind, but want to drop you like a bad penny on the hills. I've had plenty of encounters with those A-holes.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you all read my post correctly, I wrote because he's unfit and inconsistent. It does not apply to fit and consistent heavy riders. While physics laws apply, heavier riders usually have bigger and stronger legs to compensate for the extra weight.
Old 09-07-23, 09:57 AM
seypat

If you all read my post correctly, I wrote because he's unfit and inconsistent. It does not apply to fit and consistent heavy riders. While physics laws apply, heavier riders usually have bigger and stronger legs to compensate for the extra weight.
Your post reads that because he's heavier, he must be unfit and inconsistent. That's how it reads.
Old 09-07-23, 10:01 AM
big john

With regard to high end bikes, I have ridden with a road club of up to 500 members for 34 years and mixed in with many other riders and clubs during that time.
Most of them have had more expensive bikes than I have and many get new bikes fairly often. It's generally not about going faster, although that's what some people think. It's more about getting something they want and enjoy.

I've seen a lot of people buy lots of new bikes and it doesn't change who they are or they're place in the pecking order of club rides. Also have a friend who has won cat 2 races on an aluminum bike.

A friend who is pretty new to road bikes just got a new $14k bike. She can afford it, she wanted it, and she is becoming a better rider all the time. If I had the same income I would opt for something much less expensive but I don't begrudge anyone who buys something they want.

I was riding with a friend years ago and he told me he had just bought a new 911. Paid cash. Great! A nice man, generous, and when I see him (rarely) now it makes me happy.

Bicycling isn't expensive compared to some other things. Friends have had jet boats, drag cars, road race motorcycles, etc. I rode off road motorcycles for 10 years. I've semi-restored old cars. Had a divorce. Mid range road bikes ($5k?) are a pittance compared to these things. People pay $40-60k for daily driver cars, ffs.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-07-23, 10:03 AM
big john

And they're sitting there with arms folded and a smirk on their face like you did something wrong.
lol, if they've done mountain rides with me they know what to expect.
Old 09-07-23, 10:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Well if he is unfit and inconsistent, then out climb him and ride faster on the way down. Thst will drop him.
If you can't drop an unfit and inconsistent rider, then that sounds like a you problem.

I am 6'5 220# and if I get dropped when climbing, there is almost 0 chance I make it up on the other side of the hill. Everyone that climbs faster than me climbs faster than what I can offset on the downhill.

I really don't understand how you don't see the humor in your comment. You are upset that an unfit and inconsistent rider is able to keep up with you while not seeing what that says about you.
Old 09-07-23, 10:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by big john
lol, if they've done mountain rides with me they know what to expect.
I'm impressed the woman on the right runs the route instead of riding it.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 09-07-23 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-07-23, 10:12 AM
big john

I'm impressed woman in the right runs the route instead of riding it.
She's a true mountain goat.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-07-23, 10:21 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I'm impressed the woman on the right runs the route instead of riding it.
She runs so fast she wears a helmet for protection. Impressive!

Last edited by Eric F; 09-07-23 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 09-07-23, 10:28 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Good advice from a guy who has been there and done that, but I'm not sure how it relates to my comments that you quoted.
Should have cut this part:

You don't need a $10k+, carbon fiber ...

Im pointing out that Horner goes TI rather than using a sponsored CF (this is in retirement)
Likes For joesch:
Old 09-07-23, 10:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Should have cut this part:

You don't need a $10k+, carbon fiber ...

Im pointing out that Horner goes TI rather than using a sponsored CF (this is in retirement)
Horner has definitely had enough experience to know what he prefers, and now has the freedom to pick what he wants.
Old 09-07-23, 10:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
It amazes me how people talk about how great new bicycle technology is and how much fun it is to ride ride one of those bikes. But give them the same bike with some E assist and suddenly it's blasphemy. A 13, or 8, or 3lb bike(if we ever get there) that shifts itself would be okay, but God forbid if we make that bike a little easier to pedal. What do you think the rest of the technology does?
I think back to those Trek? commercials a few years ago with Jon talking about "a little mo." Everyone's happy with a little more as long as it doesn't appear they're getting any help actually turning the pedals.
I thought it was mostly retro-grouches who complain about e-bikes on this forum. Same guys who moan about disc brakes, tubeless tyres and electronic shifting. Even heard them suggesting that the latter is “cheating” 😂
Old 09-07-23, 12:39 PM
tomato coupe

Regardless of their fitness level, larger riders will usually have higher terminal velocities on descents. Instead of asking those “unfit” heavier cyclists to ride their brakes, maybe you should use your superior fitness and outride them.
Old 09-07-23, 12:44 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7_N...2bVjpn&index=8
I'm surprised he went out of saddle on a 4.6% grade climb. I don't like getting off my saddle until I reach closer to 8-10% + mainly for energy conservation and/or I'm trying to attack right before the summit. Though I've done rides with amazingly good climbers who never go out of saddle. Their ability to spin uphill is very impressive even when hitting the steeper grades. I've also done rides with cyclists on fixed who do the whole climb out of saddle and it's very humbling to get dropped by someone powering it all the way to the top!
Old 09-07-23, 12:50 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I'm surprised he went out of saddle on a 4.6% grade climb. I don't like getting off my saddle until I reach closer to 8-10% + mainly for energy conservation and/or I'm trying to attack right before the summit.
The guy likes titanium, so you know he’s going to have other weird cycling preferences. 😏
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-07-23, 12:56 PM
big john

Horner has definitely had enough experience to know what he prefers, and now has the freedom to pick what he wants.
I think Merlin gave him the bike.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.