Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 04:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Hey, I won't stand for any antisemantic talk!
Especially from someone that matriculates in public.
Old 12-22-23, 05:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Are you seriously asking another adult how to acceptably ask a question or make a commenr????

"I think a 72 degree head tubes angle damps steering inputs."

"Despite oversize tires I still get lots of buzz on my road bike, but I do not on my Domane."

Etc,etc
I am seriously asking someone with a different threshold for "personal attack" what he'll accept, yes. Thank you.

Now, would you mind addressing my question about speaking for other people? Because you seem rather comfortable saying "this is what people mean when they say..." while demanding people respond to you only referring to themselves.
Old 12-22-23, 05:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I think they are a complete gimmick. I went from Endurance to Aero, then had a fit and I am much more comfortable on the Aero than I ever was on the Endurance bike. Granted, I do ride 28mm tubeless, so very low pressure, which probably does a lot more for ride comfort than geometry anyway.
So just because you fit one bike style geometry better than another bike style geometry, you think the style you don't fit as well is a gimmick?

Do you know what the word 'gimmick' means? It seems like you don't.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-22-23, 05:40 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So just because you fit one bike style geometry better than another bike style geometry, you think the style you don't fit as well is a gimmick?

Do you know what the word 'gimmick' means? It seems like you don't.
Yeah I thought that was a pointless statement, especially if he only had a fit done on the aero bike. A poor bike fit does not make that whole type of bike a gimmick. But it does at least highlight the importance of a good bike fit regardless of the type of bike it is.
Old 12-22-23, 06:07 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I am seriously asking someone with a different threshold for "personal attack" what he'll accept, yes. Thank you.

Now, would you mind addressing my question about speaking for other people? Because you seem rather comfortable saying "this is what people mean when they say..." while demanding people respond to you only referring to themselves.
Stop trolling. Bike thread, not personality analysis.
Old 12-22-23, 06:10 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah I thought that was a pointless statement, especially if he only had a fit done on the aero bike. A poor bike fit does not make that whole type of bike a gimmick. But it does at least highlight the importance of a good bike fit regardless of the type of bike it is.
You're ignoring all the other potential differences between the two bikes aside from fit - handling, shock damping, stability.
Old 12-22-23, 06:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Indeed. Change two big variables and then ignore one of them in drawing your conclusions.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-22-23, 06:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug

Good luck. You'll do better nailing jello to a tree.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-22-23, 06:36 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by genejockey
Good luck. You'll do better nailing jello to a tree.
You know, you could actually talk about the topic instead of talking about people talking about the topic.
Old 12-22-23, 06:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

You know, you could actually talk about the topic instead of talking about people talking about the topic.
I have done - A LOT, but you move goalposts and change definitions and are constantly and unnecessarily oppositional.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-22-23, 07:08 PM
PeteHski

You're ignoring all the other potential differences between the two bikes aside from fit - handling, shock damping, stability.
I’m sure there were multiple differences between those two bikes. I just commented on the point that he made about having a bike fitting on the aero bike. We don’t even know what specific bikes he was comparing.
Old 12-22-23, 07:20 PM
Kontact 

I have done - A LOT, but you move goalposts and change definitions and are constantly and unnecessarily oppositional.
And you're still doing it.
Old 12-22-23, 07:26 PM
Kontact 

I’m sure there were multiple differences between those two bikes. I just commented on the point that he made about having a bike fitting on the aero bike. We don’t even know what specific bikes he was comparing.
Considering that endurance bikes are supposed to be comfortable, I don't think it is fair to be so dismissive of his comments on comfort - it is possible to assess such things without first getting a fit.

But it is keeping the theme of the thread - attack anyone critical of endurance bikes, and keep attacking. Because it is so damn important.
Old 12-22-23, 07:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
I kind of miss Larry. At least he made me laugh.
Old 12-22-23, 07:42 PM
PeteHski

Considering that endurance bikes are supposed to be comfortable, I don't think it is fair to be so dismissive of his comments on comfort - it is possible to assess such things without first getting a fit.

But it is keeping the theme of the thread - attack anyone critical of endurance bikes, and keep attacking. Because it is so damn important.
Why would an endurance bike be uncomfortable if it fitted well? Mine is comfortable, as you would expect an endurance bike to be.
Old 12-22-23, 07:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Why would an endurance bike be uncomfortable if it fitted well? Mine is comfortable, as you would expect an endurance bike to be.
I've posted this before, but when I first got my Endurace and built it up, the first 10 mile ride on it was profoundly disappointing. My hands would go numb within a mile, and the saddle was pure torture.

I replaced the saddle, carefully setting the height and setback to match my other bikes (much easier now that they all had the same saddle), and lowered the bars by about an inch to match the bar drop on the other bikes. With those two changes, it became my most comfortable bike, and also consistently the fastest.

The point being that comparing how comfortable one bike is with another when only one has been properly fitted is pointless. Any conclusions one draws are at the very least suspect.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-22-23, 08:11 PM
PeteHski

The point being that comparing how comfortable one bike is with another when only one has been properly fitted is pointless. Any conclusions one draws are at the very least suspect.
That was exactly my point, but apparently it was just an attack.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-22-23, 08:21 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Thread closed for moderator review.

Likes For cb400bill: