Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 10:18 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 348 Posts
I do have one "endurance" bike, my '20 Canyon Endurace CF SL. I really like this bike, as the geometry is on the "racier" end of the endurance bike spectrum, while still having generous tire clearance. The local roads get beat up in the winter, so I really like the ability to run 30mm tires to smooth things out.

My other road bike is a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, it's my weight-weenie rim brake bike. Although it is a "race" bike, the geometry on the Ultimate isn't that far off from the Endurace. I can easily switch between both bikes with no issues. I'm running a slammed stem on the Endurace and a single 10mm spacer on the Ultimate. I'm comfortable with a fairly tight hip angle/flat back, so an endurance bike may not seem like the best choice...but I also have long femurs compared to the rest of my body, so I end up in an aggressive position, even on a frame with lots of stack(or that's how I interpret it.)
Old 12-17-23, 10:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I disagree, and so does Tom Kellogg:

https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/geometry.php

I also prefer neutral trail, but if I was grinding away at 15 miles an hour for 200 miles, I would certainly consider a bike that wants to ride straight at those speeds - low trail.
Um...cool.

A higher trail bike tends to want to stay straight at higher speed. More steering input(effort) is needed to turn. At lower speeds, steering is more wandering due to increased wheel flop.
Gravel bikes tend to have higher trail than paved road bikes and the idea is that the higher trail helps to keep the bike steering straight on uneven and rough surface. Less twitchy.

A lower trail bike tends to feel twitchier, compared to a high trail bike. Less effort is required to turn.

Bikes that are described as cornering on rails would be lower trail than bikes that are described as stable and willing to roll straight over anything.

56mm of trail an be neutral, thars totally fine. A ton of race bikes(not endurance) are higher trail than that. Just keep that reality in mind when you argue 56mm is neutral.

BMC Timemachine- 64mm trail
BMC Teammachine- 64mm trail
Cannondale SuperSix EVO- 58mm trail
Pinarello Dogma F- 66mm trail
Cervelo r5- 57.3 mm trail
Colnago v4rs- 59mm trail
Giant Propel Advanced- 59.2mm trail

These are just some of the race bikes on the world tour.
If you are going to claim these are high trail just because they are above the number you and Kellogg prefer as being neutral, there is no reason to even continue the discussion.
It isn't simply 'anything over 56mm trail is high'. There clearly is a range before something is high trail or low trail.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 12-17-23 at 10:22 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-17-23, 10:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The post is a bit tough to raise and lower due to the in-frame retaining bolt. The bolt can be loosened but getting the wedge, which it secured, to budge is a PITA.
My Cannondale Synapse also has a hidden seat post clamp with a retaining bolt that is in front of the seat post, but I don't have an issue with the wedge. My issue was having a small enough torque wrench which could access that bolt, until I found the Topeak Nano Torq Bar.

Originally Posted by rsbob
One of the seat rail retaining bits broke and is not available, unless you buy the entire seat post assembly for $300, which happens to be not available. So I kluged a piece and it has held for 8,000 miles. Would not buy another bike with these pieces.
The fore-aft adjustability of the saddle rail clamp makes it look very fragile, and you have confirmed my concern. If the frame takes a regular round seat post I would have bought this bike, because Bianchi celeste.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-17-23, 10:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Or did I reinvent the 2014 Cervelo R5 with disc brakes for more tire clearance?
Or is the 2014 Cervelo R5 an Endurance bike by another name?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-17-23, 10:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 5,652 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
My Cannondale Synapse also has a hidden seat post clamp with a retaining bolt that is in front of the seat post, but I don't have an issue with the wedge. My issue was having a small enough torque wrench which could access that bolt, until I found the Topeak Nano Torq Bar.

The fore-aft adjustability of the saddle rail clamp makes it look very fragile, and you have confirmed my concern. If the frame takes a regular round seat post I would have bought this bike, because Bianchi celeste.
The piece that broke looks like half of a miniature vice with a hole through the middle and is concave. It’s probably an inch long. When I first got the bike I was constantly moving the seat fore and aft, adjusting the tilt and evidently all the tightening and retightening did a number. Maybe over tightened?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-18-23, 07:02 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I don’t get this thread. Endurance road bikes are mildly tweaked race bikes to make them more comfortable for long distance riding where ultimate uncompromising performance is not strictly required. In my mid 50s I appreciate slightly wider tyres and a slightly more relaxed fit for century riding.

What’s not to like? Should we all have to make do with dedicated race bikes with a pile of stem spacers, short stems and potentially limited tyre clearance just to massage our egos? I do know guys who refuse to ride an “endurance” bike because it makes them feel less “pro”.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-18-23, 07:22 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
i am an old fat drunk and my 2024 goal is to do a 100 mile ride in 5 hours...I have a Canyon endurace cf8 disc size small as I am short and fat. I have no idea what it's geometry is. I did put a 100mm stem on it as it came with a 90mm and it felt kind of short. I actually think I could use a 110mm stem. I wonder if it is the right bike? I have put over 3000 miles on it since the end of july even tho I had to take most of sept off due to not being patient and waiting for a new seat.
Old 12-18-23, 07:34 AM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Nope.
Old 12-18-23, 08:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
My point, which sosmellyair alludes to, is that there is nothing special about an endurance bike considering a race bike with a tall head tubes and large tires is just as easy to ride.
Congratulations! You've just reinvented the Endurance bike.
Or did I reinvent the 2014 Cervelo R5 with disc brakes for more tire clearance?
Nope.
I genuinely love this back and forth. It is entertaining while getting right to the takeaway of this thread, at least the takeaway that anyone without skin in the game would have. That takeaway is- wow this is all just a big word salad without any actual substance or point.
Seriously Kontact- what is your actual point in starting the thread? You ask people if endurance bikes accomplish something for owners of the bikes, and then you proceed to argue a bunch and post some comments that are either wrong or not phrased in a way that makes them clear and correct.

Anyways, since I posted the trail figure for a Cervelo R5 due to that being a bike I happened to see a UCI World Team uses for regular stage races(so its a race bike?) I figured I would go back and read all the rambling thru the thread about an R5. I looked up the geometry of an R5 from years ago and yeah that looks like a pretty cool bike to ride for roads, at least for how I ride and what I would want. I would not call the geometry overly aggressive, but I also wouldnt call the geometry 'endurance'. While I wouldnt toss it in the endurance category, it isnt exactly far off.

Funny enough, comparing it to Cervelo's current endurance bike, its pretty similar. For a 2012/16 Cervelo R5 in 61 and a 2023 Cervelo Caledonia in 61...
- Stack is the same.
- Reach is the same.
- Head angle is more relaxed and fork rake is higher on the Caledonia, but those two measurements result in the same trail number of 57(using 28mm tire).
- Chainstay is 10mm longer on the Caledonia...and thats a 415mm chainstay, so hardly long.
- BB drop is 3.5mm more on the Caledonia.

Compared to an R5- same stack, same reach, same trail, and a chainstay that is only 415mmm- thats what Cervelo calls their Endurance bike. I mean, and R5 from a decade ago isnt an endurance bike, but based on the numbers above, its not not an endurance bike!
Basically the only downside is an R5 from the mid-teens before the slight frame change was that clearance maxed out at a 25mm tire. That isnt even something thats disc specific, it was just how they designed the frames at the time. It could have easily been designed to handle a 28(and that did fit in the late teens).

As already mentioned by me and others- an endurance bike is not some 'marketing fear' created by bike companies. It is simply a bike that has slightly different geometry from the race bike in that brand's lineup. It is just 1 more option for someone to consider as it provides a slightly different fit and/or slightly different feeling ride.
Options are good- consumers should like options. This isnt a nefarious plan by bike companies- thats a goofy viewpoint.
This is all just bike companies recognizing that they can get a bigger piece of the pie if they offer a couple models of road bikes that have slightly different geometries since that will increase the number of people that fit their road bikes.
Old 12-18-23, 09:22 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

As already mentioned by me and others- an endurance bike is not some 'marketing fear' created by bike companies. It is simply a bike that has slightly different geometry from the race bike in that brand's lineup.
Component build spec also tends to be tailored more toward endurance. It’s a little more than just frame geometry. Bars, seatpost, wheels, tyres and gear ratios are all tweaked on my Canyon compared to the equivalent race bike. It all adds up.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-18-23, 09:25 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
i am an old fat drunk and my 2024 goal is to do a 100 mile ride in 5 hours...I have a Canyon endurace cf8 disc size small as I am short and fat. I have no idea what it's geometry is. I did put a 100mm stem on it as it came with a 90mm and it felt kind of short. I actually think I could use a 110mm stem. I wonder if it is the right bike? I have put over 3000 miles on it since the end of july even tho I had to take most of sept off due to not being patient and waiting for a new seat.
absolutely not a good bike for you - Canyon bikes - especially Endurace - are not designed for old fat drunks

I will provide my address so this bike can be shipped to me (this old fat drunk)

seriously - that’s a great bike and should serve you well - 20 mile rides to 100 mile rides

for long road rides consider tires with low rolling resistance

what’s up with the seat ? taking off time due to a seat ? just get a seat and get going ! lol

btw - if you ride small sizes (as I do) - many if not most times the frame geometry will include a generous amount of trail (can often be higher number than the same frame in larger sizes) … this is a big plus for me

Last edited by t2p; 12-18-23 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-18-23, 09:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I genuinely love this back and forth. It is entertaining while getting right to the takeaway of this thread, at least the takeaway that anyone without skin in the game would have. That takeaway is- wow this is all just a big word salad without any actual substance or point.
Seriously Kontact- what is your actual point in starting the thread? You ask people if endurance bikes accomplish something for owners of the bikes, and then you proceed to argue a bunch and post some comments that are either wrong or not phrased in a way that makes them clear and correct.

Anyways, since I posted the trail figure for a Cervelo R5 due to that being a bike I happened to see a UCI World Team uses for regular stage races(so its a race bike?) I figured I would go back and read all the rambling thru the thread about an R5. I looked up the geometry of an R5 from years ago and yeah that looks like a pretty cool bike to ride for roads, at least for how I ride and what I would want. I would not call the geometry overly aggressive, but I also wouldnt call the geometry 'endurance'. While I wouldnt toss it in the endurance category, it isnt exactly far off.

Funny enough, comparing it to Cervelo's current endurance bike, its pretty similar. For a 2012/16 Cervelo R5 in 61 and a 2023 Cervelo Caledonia in 61...
- Stack is the same.
- Reach is the same.
- Head angle is more relaxed and fork rake is higher on the Caledonia, but those two measurements result in the same trail number of 57(using 28mm tire).
- Chainstay is 10mm longer on the Caledonia...and thats a 415mm chainstay, so hardly long.
- BB drop is 3.5mm more on the Caledonia.

Compared to an R5- same stack, same reach, same trail, and a chainstay that is only 415mmm- thats what Cervelo calls their Endurance bike. I mean, and R5 from a decade ago isnt an endurance bike, but based on the numbers above, its not not an endurance bike!
Basically the only downside is an R5 from the mid-teens before the slight frame change was that clearance maxed out at a 25mm tire. That isnt even something thats disc specific, it was just how they designed the frames at the time. It could have easily been designed to handle a 28(and that did fit in the late teens).

As already mentioned by me and others- an endurance bike is not some 'marketing fear' created by bike companies. It is simply a bike that has slightly different geometry from the race bike in that brand's lineup. It is just 1 more option for someone to consider as it provides a slightly different fit and/or slightly different feeling ride.
Options are good- consumers should like options. This isnt a nefarious plan by bike companies- thats a goofy viewpoint.
This is all just bike companies recognizing that they can get a bigger piece of the pie if they offer a couple models of road bikes that have slightly different geometries since that will increase the number of people that fit their road bikes.
I think the other point is that by giving a name to the three different categories - Aero, Race, and Endurance, the consumer knows what he's looking at without having to look at a geometry chart. They didn't create anything new. They just gave a name to something that maybe they were already making - a bike more comfortable than a race bike that gives up a little in aerodynamics. After all, MOST riders don't race.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-18-23, 09:54 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by t2p
absolutely not a good bike for you - Canyon bikes - especially Endurace - are not designed for old fat drunks

I will provide my address so this bike can be shipped to me (this old fat drunk)

seriously - that’s a great bike and should serve you well - 20 mile rides to 100 mile rides

for long road rides consider tires with low rolling resistance

what’s up with the seat ? taking off time due to a seat ? just get a seat and get going ! lol

btw - if you ride small sizes (as I do) - many if not most times the frame geometry will include a generous amount of trail (can often be higher number than the same frame in larger sizes) … this is a big plus for me
it came with a torture device and I could not wait to go for a ride before my replacement came. I am used to C17's and had ordered one but it was delayed. the seat it came with gave me a saddle sore that was epic and put me off the bike for 20+ days. I did an 80 mile ride on this saddle and regretted it. this is the saddle it came with....
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-18-23, 10:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

it came with a torture device and I could not wait to go for a ride before my replacement came. I am used to C17's and had ordered one but it was delayed. the seat it came with gave me a saddle sore that was epic and put me off the bike for 20+ days. I did an 80 mile ride on this saddle and regretted it. this is the saddle it came with....
Yeah, the saddle that came on my Endurace back in 2020 was awful. Some Selle Italia thing that was wrong for me in just about every way. Fortunately, I still had one Avocet O2Air 40R left from when I bought almost the last of Palo Alto Bicycle's stock in 2007.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-18-23, 10:16 AM
jadmt

Yeah, the saddle that came on my Endurace back in 2020 was awful. Some Selle Italia thing that was wrong for me in just about every way. Fortunately, I still had one Avocet O2Air 40R left from when I bought almost the last of Palo Alto Bicycle's stock in 2007.
it was probably the lowest quality selle italia that had sharp edges and was better suited for a cheese slicer...
Old 12-18-23, 10:37 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

yikes lmao
Old 12-18-23, 10:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

it was probably the lowest quality selle italia that had sharp edges and was better suited for a cheese slicer...
Yep. It cut into the backs of my thighs while making the plumbing numb. Exactly what you DON'T want in a saddle. But I'm sure there are people it works well for.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-18-23, 10:50 AM
t2p

years (actually) decades ago … early 90’s .. saw a Flite saddle and had to have one

initially they were a challenge to find … pre-internet days … distributors did not have them … but found a black Flite for MTB and white Flite for road bike … later found a gray Flite (rare - still on one of my old road bikes)

won a small bet when a couple guys in the group said I could not do a century on a Flite … never had an issue
Old 12-18-23, 12:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by t2p
years (actually) decades ago … early 90’s .. saw a Flite saddle and had to have one

initially they were a challenge to find … pre-internet days … distributors did not have them … but found a black Flite for MTB and white Flite for road bike … later found a gray Flite (rare - still on one of my old road bikes)

won a small bet when a couple guys in the group said I could not do a century on a Flite … never had an issue
Different bums need different things. I can't do a saddle that's flat front-to-back, or that is too wide through the middle. That's why I love the Avocets - wave profile and narrow nose.

Old 12-18-23, 01:06 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Compared to the usual "debate" threads about chain lube, discs vs rim, counter steering, etc, this one doesn't seem to be getting a lot of traction. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 12-18-23, 01:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by seypat
Compared to the usual "debate" threads about chain lube, discs vs rim, counter steering, etc, this one doesn't seem to be getting a lot of traction. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Since the point - assuming there is one - is entirely semantic, maybe it doesn't go to the very core of people's identities, the way chain lube or brake type does.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-18-23, 02:17 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don’t get this thread. Endurance road bikes are mildly tweaked race bikes to make them more comfortable for long distance riding where ultimate uncompromising performance is not strictly required. In my mid 50s I appreciate slightly wider tyres and a slightly more relaxed fit for century riding.

What’s not to like? Should we all have to make do with dedicated race bikes with a pile of stem spacers, short stems and potentially limited tyre clearance just to massage our egos? I do know guys who refuse to ride an “endurance” bike because it makes them feel less “pro”.
I totally agree with your comments, but it's that last statement in bold that seems to mess everything up. Ego and self-image more often than not tend to dictate too many buying decisions. However, the ego-driven consumer is only partly to blame.

The UCI definitely owns much of the blame due to the mandate that all bikes on the world tour be made available for sale to the public. That essentially means that race bikes are designed for hyper-flexi, hyper-fit professional cyclists, and then marketed to the general public as the absolute pinnacle of modern day cycling excellence (which they are). But when you look at the pool of potential buyers - those with enough disposable income to afford a bicycle that costs 5-figures - many are not hyper-flexi, hyper-fit, or in their 20s. Therein lies the rub.

The bicycle industry has to figure out how to deliver "pro" and "comfortable" to the people who are actually buying the bikes.
Old 12-18-23, 02:58 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by t2p

only seat I used to ride back in the 80's and early 90's. Still use this one and still feels good.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-18-23, 03:11 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
I totally agree with your comments, but it's that last statement in bold that seems to mess everything up. Ego and self-image more often than not tend to dictate too many buying decisions. However, the ego-driven consumer is only partly to blame.

The UCI definitely owns much of the blame due to the mandate that all bikes on the world tour be made available for sale to the public. That essentially means that race bikes are designed for hyper-flexi, hyper-fit professional cyclists, and then marketed to the general public as the absolute pinnacle of modern day cycling excellence (which they are). But when you look at the pool of potential buyers - those with enough disposable income to afford a bicycle that costs 5-figures - many are not hyper-flexi, hyper-fit, or in their 20s. Therein lies the rub.

The bicycle industry has to figure out how to deliver "pro" and "comfortable" to the people who are actually buying the bikes.
Well one review I read of the Giant Defy summed it up something along the lines of:-

"If we were being honest with ourselves, the Defy is the kind of bike that most of us probably should be riding". This was a tongue-in-cheek reference to MAMILs often choosing to ride full blown race bikes.

Personally, I don't really care how they market "endurance" bikes. For me they are pretty good at doing what it says on the tin. A race bike would work for me too, but in slightly less comfort over a long haul ride on mixed roads.

I doubt that the manufacturers care either as long as those well-heeled MAMILs buy either a "race" or "endurance" bike. Some might even buy both!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-18-23, 03:21 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
So what do you think about them? Are they accomplishing something, or are they marketing fear of the kind of road bikes pros will ride thousands of miles on in a stage race?
Yes. They accomplish something. They ride different from aero bikes, climbing bike, gravel bikes, and other bikes made for specific applications. If you like how they ride, they're the bike for you. If not, there are plenty of other bikes out there.

There's a reason Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.