Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is CAMPAGNOLO so expensive ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why is CAMPAGNOLO so expensive ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 10:08 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I think I'm the only one who prefers the look of Dura Ace 9000 over anything Campy.
Old 01-22-15, 10:10 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
I think I'm the only one who prefers the look of Dura Ace 9000 over anything Campy.

no. i think all of shimanos stuff looks better than campy. that's not a better or worse judgement, just personal taste.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-22-15, 10:16 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Campagnolo actually pays good wages to their employees. I ride it because of its tradition, unequalled quality, fit and finish. And it's good not be part of the mob that ride basically the same bikes with different color schemes.
Old 01-22-15, 10:35 AM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zvez
and all made in Italy Campagnolo components are loving packed by beautiful Italian virgins.......
So it's the scarcity and difficulty in hiring of qualified employees, then, that explains the higher cost for Campy
Old 01-22-15, 11:11 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I prefer to ride D/A but it really sucks to have to trash a shifter for a broken spring.
Old 01-22-15, 11:49 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I prefer to ride D/A but it really sucks to have to trash a shifter for a broken spring.
I wonder what the cost difference is (parts and labor) between replacement of a shimano shifter versus replacement of a compagnolo shifter spring.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-22-15, 11:57 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 743 Posts
I'm Italian. I grew up in a neighborhood of Italian immigrants. In 1997 I sold my BMW R100RS and bought a Ducati. Have owned Ducatis ever since. This is not a fair question.
Old 01-22-15, 12:18 PM
zx9rmal

Bikes: '92 Merlin Extralight, '19 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I'm Italian. I grew up in a neighborhood of Italian immigrants. In 1997 I sold my BMW R100RS and bought a Ducati. Have owned Ducatis ever since. This is not a fair question.
Stay on top of those belts! I had a couple of Ducs. Cool bikes. Today, I'm good with my ZX-14R.
Old 01-22-15, 12:22 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I wonder what the cost difference is (parts and labor) between replacement of a shimano shifter versus replacement of a compagnolo shifter spring.
Can't just change a Campy spring anymore like you could on the old Ergos (g spring itself is like $4). Newer version requires a new shifter body... on the plus side, a Super Record shifter body can be picked up for under $100 which is way cheaper than replacing the shifter and anyone with average mechanical ability can do the swap.
Old 01-22-15, 12:22 PM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Campagnolo strives to be an exclusive brand as part of their company's/family's mission statement. They are not trying to capture the bulk of the cycling market share and specifically consider themselves to be more boutique than their competition.

Shimano has always controlled a greater portion of the market as they provide a greater range of components for OEM bike makers to choose from.

Even here in Europe, whether Belgium, Italy, Germany, UK, Netherlands, etc...Shimano is much more ubiquitous than any other component maker, followed by SRAM and then Campy as it pertains to road bikes...for mt bikes SRAM may have as much or more of a market share as Shimano and Campy is non-contender as they for quite some time have not had a product line devoted to mt bikes. That certainly reflects what one sees on the market in the US as well.

I think the most relative question was posed earlier on...if Shimano is much more massed produced and outsells Campy, why do their prices approximate Campagnolo's? The answer to that question is that folks are willing to pay for it.

-j
Old 01-22-15, 12:24 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13726 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,512 Posts
... because they don't also sell fishing tackle?

Old 01-22-15, 12:27 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Shimano makes awesome fishing tackle.
Old 01-22-15, 12:36 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenfieldja
Campagnolo strives to be an exclusive brand as part of their company's/family's mission statement. They are not trying to capture the bulk of the cycling market share and specifically consider themselves to be more boutique than their competition.

-j
And they are wise to pursue that plan. No sense trying to fight a giant for a piece of the giant's pie. Better to offer cake for those who aren't so interested in the giant's pie, anyway. Kind of like how Ebay used to be a great site, when they pursued the business model which made them unique and appealing. When they decided to directly compete with Amazon, they took on a formidable competitor with whom they formerly had no interference; and in doing so, screwed up their own site and drove away the customers who loved them for the uniqueness and vision they had had in the beginning.

Could you see Campy making below bottom-level junk components for Walmart bikes?! It would be a no-win situation for either company. It would dilute Shimano's business; and cost Campy a fortune just to get in the game, while offering little benefit; and at the same time, make their brand less appealing to many who are willing to pay for it, because it is "high-end".
Old 01-22-15, 04:31 PM
Monkey D.Luffy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Shimano makes awesome fishing tackle.
Shimano Stella is the best derailleur.
Old 01-22-15, 06:36 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Here is my experience. I was a diehard Shimano user but I always dreamed of riding Campagnola. I always thought of it as being the best of the best so I saved and I saved and finally I purchased my Super Record group. I was so happy. After riding it for a month or so I realized that it was meh at best. I did not like the thumb trigger and felt the shifting was a bit harsh and mechanical feeling. I took off the Campy group and put my DuraAce 7800 back on. I have ridden Shimano ever since. Just because it is more expensive does not make it superior. Different yes, better not necessarily.
Old 01-22-15, 07:03 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Here is my experience. I was a diehard Shimano user but I always dreamed of riding Campagnola. I always thought of it as being the best of the best so I saved and I saved and finally I purchased my Super Record group. I was so happy. After riding it for a month or so I realized that it was meh at best. I did not like the thumb trigger and felt the shifting was a bit harsh and mechanical feeling. I took off the Campy group and put my DuraAce 7800 back on. I have ridden Shimano ever since. Just because it is more expensive does not make it superior. Different yes, better not necessarily.

the voice of reason.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-22-15, 07:35 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So let's see; Even Shimano Sora no longer has thumb-button shifters....but Campy does, even on their highest model? (I've never ridden Campy- but just as with lots of other cycling-related things, I wish there was a way to try it, without having to buy it or steal a bike )
Old 01-22-15, 07:46 PM
Katiesmalls
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think DA is much more competitive and innovative, at least the last 15 years or so, but there is no denying the Nuovo record rear derailleurs are sexy. Plus there is the history, but as generations die off that changes also.
Old 01-22-15, 07:57 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
this thing about Italian history makes me laugh. you know there are Taiwanese makers who just put Italian names on their products? You know there are "Italian" brands that are just recent start-ups who come to Taiwan get manufacturers to make their historic branded goodies?

Old 01-22-15, 07:58 PM
garysol1 

BTW.... Any company that wants me to buy their tool that retails for $280.00 so that I can install their chain is obviously delusional. That tool is so obviously over priced I have to wonder how much they are inflating the prices product simply because of the name...
Old 01-22-15, 08:00 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
What's bad about thumb shifters?
Old 01-22-15, 08:04 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by sced
What's bad about thumb shifters?
Nothing if you have big enough hands that allow for your thumbs to reach them while in the drops. I had to come back up to the hoods to reach them...
Old 01-22-15, 08:07 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I was in Vincenza a couple months ago and thought it would cool to check out the operation but it is a non-descript building in a non-descript industrial complex (other than sign on roof nothing to see) and they seem to have zero concept of marketing.

There's a custom builder in town (Cicli Liotto) that does Campy builds and thought it would be nice if I had time to get a build (Corsa Aquila) from them.

scott s.
Old 01-22-15, 08:32 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I was in Vincenza a couple months ago and thought it would cool to check out the operation but it is a non-descript building in a non-descript industrial complex (other than sign on roof nothing to see) and they seem to have zero concept of marketing.

There's a custom builder in town (Cicli Liotto) that does Campy builds and thought it would be nice if I had time to get a build (Corsa Aquila) from them.

scott s.
did you feel the history?

Old 01-22-15, 08:52 PM
Alias530
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Shimano Dura Ace 9000- $1245 from Ribble, 2016 grams
Campagnolo Chorus - $1065 from ribble, 1870 grams
How are you going to compare a mid level groupset to a top of the line groupset (relative to the offerings of the brand) just because it costs the same? That's the point of this thread--Dura Ace 9000 is $1,200, Super Record is $2k and Dura Ace Di2 is $2,200 while Super Record EPS is $5,000

Last edited by Alias530; 01-22-15 at 08:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.