Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

rain gear

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

rain gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 10:02 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
rain gear

So what do use for rain gear?
I have a Marmot jacket and pants, Kinda pricy, very durable, on the heavy side.
Frogg Toggs cheap, tears easy, easy to tape back together, light weight. easy to replace.
Some one on the hiking Forum mention a brand O2 gear, mid priced, more durable than frogg toggs, almost as light as frog toggs.
Your experience?
Thanks!
Old 02-25-16, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I had an Anorak from LL Bean, and a pair of pants from REI with a separate mesh Liner , and sewn in Suspenders .

circa 97, Ireland & Scotland 3 season tour.

Living in the temperate rain zone, now, Its rain cape (dry hands)

and if rain not blowing hard you just wear your shorts or tights on your legs.

Carradice saddle bags have cape roll strap mounts and have for several Generations .

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-25-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-25-16, 10:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked 5,531 Times in 2,799 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...ket-pants.html This is on page 2, not too far to search?

Last edited by shelbyfv; 02-25-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 11:52 AM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I didn't know IK_Biker got promoted to moderator , congrats!
Old 02-25-16, 12:01 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IK_biker;
You may not realize it, but you are poisoning the quality of posting on these forums
Oh, I think forum members know WHO is really poisoning the quality of the forums, and it ain't Squeeze

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-27-16 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 12:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11012 Post(s)
Liked 7,542 Times in 4,217 Posts
I have a jacket which is windproof and waterproof. I wear shorts when it rains. I wear socks and shoes when it rains. Gloves are used a lot of times and expecially when it rains.
When I use the jacket when it isnt raining, it feels like its raining inside the jacket since it doesnt breathe well.
Old 02-25-16, 01:47 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11982 Post(s)
Liked 6,691 Times in 3,501 Posts
Originally Posted by IK_biker
I am really bemused that you still manage to draw gullible inmates on these forums to post replies to your superficial, purposeless, redundant and already answered questions.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1000. To me, that's the biggest bummer about what is being allowed to continue. This used to be such a high quality and helpful forum where serious people came for assistance and received it from like-minded people.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Squeeze- Maybe you would be interested in sharing with us the nature of your impairment?
Now see boys, if I was really a hard-ass I'd give you each a Red infraction for insults and harassment.

Here's a pro tip - go find a thread you like better, nobody is forcing you to read this one.
Old 02-25-16, 02:49 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I have a military poncho and poncho liner I picked up for general camping purposes. The poncho does well at shedding water, but it is not cut like a normal, cycling cape, so it sometimes requires some positioning/gathering to get it out of the way of wheels, pedals, etc. Also it's camo, which is far from ideal for riding on the road in the rain. But it's very useful, so it's my rain gear of choice when touring. I just have to be aware of visibility issues if it's raining too hard or is getting too dark, but I generally just won't ride then.

It does much better when being worn around camp. It also has gromets in every corner and becomes a supplemental tarp when necessary, or just gets put over any gear I don't want to get soaked overnight.

I usually where all-weather sandals and just let my feet get wet, but if it's cold enough that wet feet would be a problem, I have some waterproof socks to put on.
Old 02-25-16, 05:08 PM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have Showers Pass Touring Jacket and Rain Pants, both work extremely well. Lately I received (x-mas) a Cabela's XPG Rain shell, I have to admit that even though its not cycling specific it is a fantastic jacket, the fabric is soft and has a little stretch to it. Hoping winter will be over here soon so I can test it on the bike. The hood doesn't stow away so that might be the cycling deal breaker it has to be usable as a wind shell in the dry as well and I don't like the hood flapping about.
I have an O2 Rain jacket also but didn't care for it much. Fabric is kind of a cross between cloth and tyvek, the fit was less than tailored let's say.
Old 02-26-16, 02:25 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicycle365
Have Showers Pass Touring Jacket and Rain Pants, both work extremely well. Lately I received (x-mas) a Cabela's XPG Rain shell, I have to admit that even though its not cycling specific it is a fantastic jacket, the fabric is soft and has a little stretch to it. Hoping winter will be over here soon so I can test it on the bike. The hood doesn't stow away so that might be the cycling deal breaker it has to be usable as a wind shell in the dry as well and I don't like the hood flapping about.
I have an O2 Rain jacket also but didn't care for it much. Fabric is kind of a cross between cloth and tyvek, the fit was less than tailored let's say.
Just got a Showers Pass suit and hoping you are right. I'm tired of buying this stuff and it not work (Marmot, Frogg, Arcteryx)
Old 02-26-16, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Light weight = you replace it in a few Years .. the DWR coating wears off in a much shorter interval.

Endura and Showers Pass is on the rack at the LBS, Here.
Old 02-26-16, 04:33 PM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I use Rain Capes from People Who Really Know Rain Capes! for my rain cape and like it a lot. It's short enough to stay out of the wheels and chain, but long enough to keep me dry above the knees -- on my touring bike, that is. In winter, I ride a comfort bike, and the too-upright position that puts me in makes it awkward to keep dry in front unless I make a point of draping the cape front over the handlebars in front of me. The cape is light and compact enough to fit in my handlebar bag, so I always have it with me.
I also got the rain cap shown on the linked page. In the summer, I don't use it, because my head sweats so much under it that I get wet from that instead of the rain. But, in winter and the shoulder season, it is a welcome piece of kit to keep me from getting cold and wet in rain or slush when it's cold enough that sweating isn't an issue. Again, it is small and light enough to fit in my handlebar bag.
I don't use rain pants.
FWIW
Old 02-27-16, 05:42 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I use a Grunden's rain cape. It keeps me dry with plenty of ventilation to prevent overheating and unusual sweat. They're not great in the wind unless you are riding downwind.

Marc
Old 02-27-16, 08:30 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If one likes carbon fiber for bikes, then one should also consider cuben fiber for rain gear

ZPacks.com Ultralight Backpacking Gear - Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber Rain Jacket
Old 02-27-16, 09:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

^^ these are just in Ninja black & dark Blue^^

Originally Posted by irwin7638
I use a Grunden's rain cape. It keeps me dry with plenty of ventilation to prevent overheating and unusual sweat. They're not great in the wind unless you are riding downwind.

Marc
I have one as well.. FWiW, a lighter fabric will be worse, flapping more in the wind.

and really the cape doesn't make you fatter.
your torso is still the big surface you have to push thru the wind.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-27-16 at 02:56 PM.