Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Longest commute so far

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Longest commute so far

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 11:06 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Longest commute so far

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1321407

I commute from work to a commuter rail station, usually five miles each way. On occasion I will ride to stations further down the line. Today I made it all the way to San Clemente-thirty miles. Next week is Solstice and I will attempt to ride all the way home* before dark. Fifty five miles.

Today was an important warm up to get a real good idea of the time. This first half was pretty slow due to head winds, and a gentle climb, and hills at the mid point. Made good time on the second half. The real challenge is that once I leave San Clemente, there is a long stretch of open coastline where the trail passes through Camp Pendleton. Part of the ride will be on roads on the base itself, and bikes are to be off base by dark, so I'll have to hustle to get to Las Pulgas gate (the fleas) by 7:30.

*not all the way home, but to the Oceanside Amtrak station where I park my car. I'm not really comfortable riding to the station at 4:30 AM.
Old 06-16-12, 02:11 AM
CigTech

Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice ride. Hell I like riding when not to many cars are out on the stree. I have a 35 mile commute all back roads. Would not trade it for any thing.
Old 06-16-12, 11:57 AM
jeffpoulin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
My longest commute this year happened last month when I took the LONG way home on a particularly nice day. 120.5km total, which is 75 miles.
Old 06-16-12, 12:03 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've done a 110 mile commute before, and that's each way. Granted, it's multi-modal, so there is a lot of train (and some hiking) involved. It's still not something I would want to do on a regular basis.
Old 06-16-12, 12:33 PM
ckaspar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy wow! Grats. Where ya gonna end up? I am guessing Carlsbad/Oceanside area. I got a friend down there. No way I could ride from Santa Ana there! Good for you.
Old 06-17-12, 06:51 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ckaspar
Holy wow! Grats. Where ya gonna end up? I am guessing Carlsbad/Oceanside area. I got a friend down there. No way I could ride from Santa Ana there! Good for you.
Yeah long commutes area way of life. I have a five mile drive to the station in the morning. I've biked it a few times but that route in the dark makes my wife nervous, so the ride next week will be to the train station where I park my car.