Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New cassette=shifting woes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 02:46 PM
Spandex_fairy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

So I added a new presta cycle uniblock cassette, using my previously waxed chain. It has about 4500 miles on the clock, but shows no amount of stretching. I also have an OSPW from Novaride. Since installing the cassette I've experienced shifting issues. I, as well as two seperate bike shops, can get the pulley to shift up smoothly, but not down. Both bike shops pointed out that my derailure hanger was slightly bent, so they bent it back. One of them said that this happens when you stand up a lot. Is this true?

The bike shifted perfectly before I replaced the cassette; even with the excessive amount of flex from the OSPW. I have already warrantied the OSPW once, and they sent out an updated version of the pulley cage. That solved the issue. Has anyone else had any issues with their Novaride OSPW?
Old 09-10-23, 04:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
what is the spacing in between the cogs measuring out too? Might be a hair tighter for tolerance, causing the chain to hang before executing the command.

What speed group is it? If it's11 speed, try using a 12 speed chain.
Old 09-10-23, 07:33 PM
Spandex_fairy

The bike mechanic did mention that aftermarket cassettes often times have different spacing; I haven't measured it. I just assumed it would be the same, given that it's designed for 11-speed; it's also advertised to adapt to 10-12 speed hubs (I'm using 11-speed r7k). I was also told that sometimes the cassette manufacturer will have specific suggested chains that work with their prodcuts.
Old 09-10-23, 09:18 PM
Troul 

I'd buy & use a Shimano 12 speed chain. Worse case, you end up with a new chain without change.
Old 09-11-23, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Spandex_fairy
I, as well as two seperate bike shops, can get the pulley to shift up smoothly, but not down.
This in itself is a problem. And unless you damaged the DR or something while or since putting on the cassette, then was there something wrong with the shifting before you replaced the cassette? Even if it wasn't a big issue then.

Up and down might be different to different people. Down to the 11 cog or down to the lowest ratio gearing which would be the cog with the most teeth? If the former, did anyone look for a frayed cable in the shifter or STI?

Maybe put the old cassette back on and see if anything changes. Tooth count difference on the largest cog from the previous cassette? Is the jockey wheel too close or too far from to the cogs?

Last edited by Iride01; 09-11-23 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-11-23, 09:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
You should use a new chain with a new cassette.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-11-23, 12:12 PM
Spandex_fairy

Originally Posted by Iride01
This in itself is a problem. And unless you damaged the DR or something while or since putting on the cassette, then was there something wrong with the shifting before you replaced the cassette? Even if it wasn't a big issue then.

Up and down might be different to different people. Down to the 11 cog or down to the lowest ratio gearing which would be the cog with the most teeth? If the former, did anyone look for a frayed cable in the shifter or STI?

Maybe put the old cassette back on and see if anything changes. Tooth count difference on the largest cog from the previous cassette? Is the jockey wheel too close or too far from to the cogs?
It has trouble shifting down, about mid-cog, into the 11-tooth. The cog teeth count remain the same. The DR has never been damaged. Both bike shops told me the hanger was slightly bent though. One of them said standing out of the saddle will bend it.
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
You should use a new chain with a new cassette.
I wax my chains. They have 4500 miles, but show nearly zero wear. I used a chain checker. I replaced the cable recently (<1k miles).

The bike shifted perfectly before the new cassette. I'm going to go back to the factory cassette until I figure out what the deal is with the prestacycle.
Old 09-11-23, 12:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

It has trouble shifting down, about mid-cog, into the 11-tooth. The cog teeth count remain the same. The DR has never been damaged. Both bike shops told me the hanger was slightly bent though. One of them said standing out of the saddle will bend it.

I wax my chains. They have 4500 miles, but show nearly zero wear. I used a chain checker. I replaced the cable recently (<1k miles).

The bike shifted perfectly before the new cassette. I'm going to go back to the factory cassette until I figure out what the deal is with the prestacycle.
I wax my chains too, and they last quite awhile, but when I put on a new cassette, I will refresh the chains (I have 2 in rotation). If the shifting is wonky, it is a cheap and easy thing to try.

Also, check your derailleur hanger alignment. (I just got bit by that.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-13-23, 06:55 PM
Spandex_fairy

So I figured it out. It's my wonky ospw. It has significant lateral flex. I went back to my oem cassette and it's all good again, minus the very last shift onto the smallest cog. I think the cog spacing is different between oem vs Prestacycle.
Old 09-13-23, 11:04 PM
Troul 

run a 12 speed chain.
Old 09-14-23, 05:59 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
What is an OSPW? I am trying to understand what went wonky.
Old 09-14-23, 08:20 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
OSPW= over size pulley wheel

Last edited by alcjphil; 09-14-23 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-14-23, 01:35 PM
Spandex_fairy

Originally Posted by Troul
run a 12 speed chain.
I've decided to run this cassette and chain until its worn out. I've learned the lesson [again] of not straying from Shimano factory parts. I also had issues with Galfer brake rotors not being machined correctly; it wouldn't slide onto the center-lock hub.
Old 09-14-23, 11:17 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
I try to replace cassette and chain and same time. 4500 on chain is alot.
Old 09-15-23, 06:43 PM
Spandex_fairy

Originally Posted by Joearch
I try to replace cassette and chain and same time. 4500 on chain is alot.
For a waxed chain, from what I've researched, it's about half-way thru its life cycle. It shows nearly no stretch.
Old 09-16-23, 08:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4738 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
So I figured it out. It's my wonky ospw. It has significant lateral flex. I went back to my oem cassette and it's all good again, minus the very last shift onto the smallest cog. I think the cog spacing is different between oem vs Prestacycle.
Not sure I follow.. if you said you swapped your pulley back and all was fine, then I could understand your conclusion -- but you swapped back to your oem cassette and all was find?
Old 09-17-23, 12:13 AM
Spandex_fairy

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure I follow.. if you said you swapped your pulley back and all was fine, then I could understand your conclusion -- but you swapped back to your oem cassette and all was find?
before the new cassette everything worked perfectly fine. It was when I changed to the new cassette that i ran into issues. I went back to the original cassette and it went back to shifting like it used to with the caveat that it hesitates to shift onto the smallest cog now. During all this trial and error I figured out that there's significant flex in my OSPW, which is likely the culprit of my shifting issues.
Old 09-20-23, 09:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I just looked up your cassette. Clearly you aren't doing this to save money. What is the motivation?

If it were me, I would put all the standard parts back in place, verify everything works, and then change one thing at a time (might was well start with the cassette) and observe what happens.