Old 02-24-23, 03:39 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Glorious Mt Diablo.

I got pictures at about 13:00 going east on the CC canal trail near North Main Street. Let’s see how they look.

Sorry about the cars
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 02-24-23, 04:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Sorry about the cars
Why? What did you do to them?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-24-23, 04:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
I tried to see the snow on Diablo from where I work in Brisbane. The lab has big, East-facing windows. But it was obscured by clouds.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-24-23, 05:18 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I was out on the bike and got rained on for about 20 minutes so not a big deal, if the rain starts while I am already riding I just go with it. Then it cleared up and I sat in Larkey Park and chatted with my friend on the phone. On the way back home I saw some good views off to the east. Other years I've never gotten a good view. To get this picture needs snow, and clearing sky. Got it this time. As for the cars, I don't think they add anything to my beautiful natural view. Enjoy.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 02-25-23, 03:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts

South side, from San Ramon, Friday afternoon.
Snow above 3000 feet happens nearly every year at least once.
Snow below 2000 feet is damn rare.
It has been so cold, that when the snow came The Mountain was ready.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 02-26-23, 10:08 AM
MykGrant

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Pro, Trek Fuel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
The forecast yesterday (Sat the 25th) said rain in the morning and at night but a nice break during the day. I didn't want to take my road bike out but the MTB would be perfect....made to get dirty. A buddy rides China Camp all the time and invited me along. Met him at the visitors center and rode for a few hours. I didn't realize how much I miss mountain biking! Good climb and realy fun decent but no snow. Felt like it though. I was worried about being cold and purchased skull cap that fits under my helmet. It was the perfect add.

China Camp trails are perfectly grooomed and well maintained, not too much mud. I'll be back there to explore some more, even in the rain.

My brain tells me that the bay area is mostly streets so I ride mostly on the road and bike trails but I may be scouting MTB trails in Marin. Great day.
Likes For MykGrant:
Old 02-27-23, 03:20 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by MykGrant
The forecast yesterday (Sat the 25th) said rain in the morning and at night but a nice break during the day. I didn't want to take my road bike out but the MTB would be perfect....made to get dirty. A buddy rides China Camp all the time and invited me along. Met him at the visitors center and rode for a few hours. I didn't realize how much I miss mountain biking! Good climb and realy fun decent but no snow. Felt like it though. I was worried about being cold and purchased skull cap that fits under my helmet. It was the perfect add.

China Camp trails are perfectly grooomed and well maintained, not too much mud. I'll be back there to explore some more, even in the rain.

My brain tells me that the bay area is mostly streets so I ride mostly on the road and bike trails but I may be scouting MTB trails in Marin. Great day.
Yeah, you may be able to find an MTB trail or two in Marin County.

If you head toward Mt. Tamalpais from almost any angle, you're bound to find something. Or you could buy this map, which will keep in new trails for quite some time.
Old 03-01-23, 08:53 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Pic from a buddies wife. I don’t take pics this nice!

Mt. Diablo
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-29-23, 05:49 PM
sweetsweetstef

Bikes: Just the one, nothin' fancy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for these beautiful photos. I lived just off the Contra Costa Canal for 7 years when I was a kid in the late 80s and the 90s, and these photos of Mt Diablo are just gorgeous, they really take me back. But wow, I never remember seeing the snow line so low!!! For sure every winter there'd be snow at the top, but this year was crazy.
Old 05-10-23, 09:28 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

North Gate Road will be closed May 19 - mid September for road repairs - no cars, bikes, or hikers.
Mostly that washed out area from January, but hopefully a whole repaving.
Old 05-11-23, 10:15 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Too bad Diablo isn't like all the other washed out roads like Wildcat, where you know you can sneak through on a weekend. There will always be rangers watching, it would be awesome to relive the early pandemic days when Diablo was only open to bikes, but it's not worth getting a citation. All it means is even more traffic on SG, joy... I doubt they will do much more work on the road other than repair the damaged section, they had no money before the washouts, I'm sure it was fighting tooth and nail to get funding to repair this one as it is.
Old 06-08-23, 07:05 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

A 7-year-old boy was airlifted from Mount Diablo State Park to a local hospital after being bitten by a snake on a family hike Wednesday, the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District said. Multiple TV news stations reported that the snake was a rattlesnake.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-09-23, 12:29 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I almost ran over a snake today at calero. I have seen so many snakes the last month and the occasional turtle.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 08-12-23, 02:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Promotional video for the Diablo Bike Turnout Lanes
https://mountdiablocyclists.org/
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-14-23, 03:39 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Just curious with respect to the turnouts project and donations.

As I understand it, Phase I of this current project was after an initial 17 turnouts were constructed, Phase I was 28 turnouts to bring the total to 45, and now Phase II is for 30 more. Right?

In an article a couple of months ago in the tri-valley weekly paper The Independent about a $15,000 donation from Valley Spokesmen for Phase II, the Past President of Valley Spokesmen basically said that whatever funds are raised through October 1 will be the budget for building turnouts next year, suggesting that even if the total needed for Phase II isn't able to be raised, that as many turnouts as can be built with what IS raised will be built in 2024. Correct?

He also said construction of the turnouts varies from the simple to the complex, and averages $9,000 for one turnout, though those costs can climb on the more complicated sections. Is that right? If the average is $9,000, then it would seem the total should be around $270,000 for Phase II, but the June 14 Independent article also indicated $500,000 was needed for Phase II, and now I'm seeing on the Mount Diablo Cyclists that $750,000 is needed for Phase II, with $530,687 raised as of August 10.

DiabloScott or anybody else, do you have the correct facts on this?

The turnouts are certainly a great benefit to cyclists and motorists alike, it is great to have what is already there, it will be great to have more.
Old 08-14-23, 09:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by blt
As I understand it, Phase I of this current project was after an initial 17 turnouts were constructed, Phase I was 28 turnouts to bring the total to 45, and now Phase II is for 30 more. Right?

He also said construction of the turnouts varies from the simple to the complex, and averages $9,000 for one turnout, though those costs can climb on the more complicated sections. Is that right? If the average is $9,000, then it would seem the total should be around $270,000 for Phase II, but the June 14 Independent article also indicated $500,000 was needed for Phase II, and now I'm seeing on the Mount Diablo Cyclists that $750,000 is needed for Phase II, with $530,687 raised as of August 10.

DiabloScott or anybody else, do you have the correct facts on this?
I couldn't nail them down on the cost of each turnout, or how many turnouts they could do with $X. What the organizer told me was that they'll decide how many and which ones to do when they have a budget - which will be determined by how many donations and matching funds they have by October. They do have a real good site survey and know where the best places to put the turnouts are both from a safety and a logistics point of view. Some need a retaining wall, some need excavating, some need to be longer than others, some are just painting and signage.

Here's the official word from the donation page:
With the recent completion of 30 Bike Turnouts in 2022, there are now 45 Bike Turnouts at Mount Diablo State Park. 32 more Bike Turnouts are needed to complete the safety plan. For Phase II, we will complete as many Bike Turnouts as possible depending on the funds raised.
Old 10-05-23, 10:08 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

North Gate Road is open. The eroded area received a well-designed permanent fix. I call it the "rock baskets".

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 11-09-23, 01:21 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Turnout lane project update:

​​​​​​​I'm Honored to Inform You! We have Raised $753,922.28 for 20-25 more Bike Turnouts on Mount Diablo! WOW!! WE DID IT! THANK YOU!! The contract will be issued in a few months, with construction in early spring, followed by a Big Event at Curry Point in Early Summer!
Visit mountdiablocyclists.org and Mount Diablo Cyclists Facebook for All updates....
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-26-24, 03:09 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

You're Invited to participate in a Historic Event to Celebrate 22 New Bike Turnouts on Mount Diablo! SAVE THE DATE: Saturday, July 20th at 11am at Curry Point. More details to follow.....Ride, hike or drive....wear your cycling kit for another Historic Group Photo. The Bike Turnouts are dedicated to Joe Shami "Legend of Mount Diablo." There will be 9 Bike Turnouts constructed on Southgate Rd, 4 on Summit Rd, and 9 on Northgate Rd. For a total of 67 Bike Turnouts on Mount Diablo! Thank You for All your Donations and Amazing Support! PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH ALL YOUR FRIENDS..... PLEASE JOIN US!!
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-26-24, 05:11 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I call it the "rock baskets".
Gabion walls. Really good solution for erosion. Congrats from a former east bay boy.
Likes For BTinNYC: