Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why does every bike shop sell the same two bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why does every bike shop sell the same two bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-23, 07:10 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
They are "better" for certain reasons.

My tool collection doesn't consist of 1 claw hammer. I've a framing hammer, a finish hammer, multiple mini sledge , different weights, multiple ball peens hammers different weights, a leather hammer, a dead blow hammer, a brass hammer, a plastic tip hammer.

But seriously why even own a hammer if I can simply smash things with a ratchet.

Bicycles are tools. Use the correct one for the job, not the one that is trending at the moment.

Most of us have compromised. Like the guy that tours once a year, but then rides his LHT (unloaded) the rest of the year. I personally would dislike riding an unloaded touring bike. I'd love to own and ride a Kona sultra LtD, if it was offered in a lighter version.
Same as with the niner air one 9 rigid, if it was slacked out a bit more.
Do we really need 12 speed cassettes and then do stupid stuff to fix the chain line issues? No we dont. Except we have an industry that creates a demand for 12 speeds.
My x7/x9 combo 2x10 was flawless, dependable and durable. Now Sram has issues! Not durable, not dependable, super flaky with cable tension. But it's the standard they push. So is 12 speed better. In some ways yes, in many ways it isn't. On a whole I don't think the better side of it out weighs the bad side of it. Not on a mtb anyways.
I've ridden all over CO rockies on a 32t 11-36, 1x10 hardtail. I was wanting a slacker hardtail years before the industry offered it. Now the industry pushes it. To the extreme even, now we just twiddle our thumbs until they come to their senses and find the middle ground. Some manufactures will, some never will.
Now they will try and push the 750 wheel size.

The 650b craze hit. They pushed the "it's better",but it wasn't good enough. So they made biggerc650b, until they got sluggish, so now its back to 29 and 2.4 /2.6. They yoyo.
And use shills like bike radar, bike rumor to push the new stuff regardless of it being good or bad.

99 out of 100 people buying bikes don't even know what they are buying outside of it have 2 wheels.

Kind of like your version of better. You thought it was one thing, then thought it was another thing.

Your "better", along with many other peoples version is fluid.

While some of us, don't see it that way.

Its the world we live in.

I want is my 1990s rigid flat bar fitness/hybrid. But with disc brakes, clearance for 29x 2.4. 20 -22 lbs. And a bit of a slack HA.

People buy Walmart bikes, then they don't ride them. Not very enjoyable, lots of energy spent to go nowhere. Apply the same thing to current hybrid/fitness bikes. If people on current hybrids road a high end hybrid, they'd probably ride a lot more than they do.

Well that was true 3.5 years ago.

The industry can't even push entry level budget bicycles right now. The industry is in trouble with this economy. They are sitting on heaps of bikes they cant move.
The people want electric with throttles, food delivered to them, and a weekly allowance.
It is "better" though...
A lot to unpack with that screed. Until the moderators create the emoji, this will have to do.

“Old man yells at clouds”
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 10-08-23, 07:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Back to the touring bike thing. You're looking at the wrong time of year. The manufacturers who make touring bikes make a batch every year, and they tend to hit the bike shops in March or April. Go shopping then and you've got a much better chance of finding one on the showroom floor.

Or, as mentioned, go custom. Bilenky.com, co-motion.com, rodbikes.com, etc. One or more will entertain your Rohloff, flat bar, even (gasp!) recumbent if you really want to lean back. Of course, since (as mentioned) a Rohloff wheel will set you back a couple grand, don't expect it to be cheap. (May as well get a SON dyno hub on the front while you're at it.)
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-08-23, 08:38 PM
Jameth

Bikes: 2012 Gary Fisher Simple City 3, 2015 Raleigh Back Alley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jameth
The overall group mentality here seems to be that any bike that isn't a 12-speed, drop bar road bike (or some slight variation of that) designed for weekend "sport" riding with lycra and cleats is a "niche" product. And that I should find it perfectly reasonable, both for myself and for anyone new to cycling or looking to get into it for reasons other than those prescribed by the typical bike shop's aforementioned selection, to "suck it up" and have a bike custom-ordered and/or custom-built (the newcomers especially will love this) rather than "crying for the bike fairy" to show me a second kind of bike. Got it.

I'm glad that I came to a public forum for cyclists to raise my concerns about the COMICALLY unvarying bike selections I've been seeing and to learn that it is the work of gifted minds far greater than my own. Now I know. It was foolish and, frankly, self-centered of me to want to see other types of bicycles stocked in stores. I thought it was irresponsible and disingenuous for a shop-owner to expect a layman to draw an informed conclusion from staring at a wall of matchy-matchy bikes. I sure was a fool! Clearly, the conclusion has already been drawn for them, and they need only be fitted for lycra! Thank you! This is the way!
Originally Posted by Maelochs
By Definition, a product which only a very small percentage of the buying public wants to buy is "niche" product. it is what the term means. Nobody said anything about weekends or lycra or cleats----those are YOUR prejudices. Thanks for showing your bad side.

The sad part is that people told you the truth and you are unable to accept it.

It is pretty clear you have never tired to run a business and particularly never tried retail sales. It is also obvious that you refuse to accept that you are ignorant about a lot of things, and also refuse to learn.

The more loudly you pitch your tantrum the more idiotic you look.

Go outside and shout at clouds. Call everyone sheep for thinking the world is round, or call us cowards for not resisting the Law of Gravity ... "It isn't a real law! it isn't in a law book!"

Bike shops want to stay in business. You want to be a sharp, sudden pull or tug. Success all around. Oh, happy day!

I have toured and commuted in cleats and on flat pedals, and I have commuted in Lycra. Pretty much everything in your post is inaccurate, dishonest, or the product of sustained willful ignorance.

Here is the bottom line-----Since you know better than everyone how a bike shop should be run .... go start a bike shop. Stock whatever you think needs to be sold.

Good luck.
Yes, I've ready through all of the haughty, oversensitive posts, putting words in my mouth and seeking to rebutt my questions with ad hominem attacks and appeals to the status quo. Much like this post of yours.

I understand that the bike selection is driven by capitalism. I'm not an idiot, as you so winningly implied. The point that I'm making (and which you and the majority of the posters keep glossing over) is this:

It is reasonable to assume that there are many ways someone may wish to cycle. So, by extension, the very constrained selection of bikes found in the typical shop is therefore unreasonable.

You can flail your arms and cry "money" and "capitalism" all you want, but appealing to a fallacious, abstract system does NOT excuse the unreasonable nature of the shops I've visited.

Which raises another question...why are so many posters here eager to defend a vapid market which is seemingly indifferent to the marginilization of many riders or to potentially misleading new riders? What would anyone here have to gain from it?

(And, by the way....the bulk of my last post was sarcastic.)
Old 10-08-23, 09:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Being lectured by a newbie on how the bicycle industry should work never gets old.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-08-23, 09:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
I skipped a couple of pages, so maybe this has been posted (or the discussion changed)

Here is a link listing Rohloff hubbed bikes suitable for touring. German, Dutch, Swiss, Spanish bikes.

List of Rohloff Bike Models For Touring and Bikepacking - CyclingAbout.
2020 publishing date, so anybody still selling these models found markets for this niche product.
Getting them to USA affordably may limit availability.

Here's an example, maybe close to what OP wants, or wanted back on page #1. USA builder.

ChapmanCycles.com - flat bars, Rohloff, touring

Co-Motion offer Pangea in 26"wheels, handlebar options, Rohloff option, touring oriented

Pangea - Co-Motion Cycles

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-08-23 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-08-23, 09:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,974 Times in 4,694 Posts
I find it really hard to believe that an unmanipulated society of hundreds of millions of people would uniformly be very keen to ride the exact same bike as one another.
This is your fundamental assertion, and it seems weird to me. I'm in a small city of barely over 10,000 people, and I see people on all sorts of different bikes. Our tiny LBS mostly stocks flat bar bikes, some with e-assist, occasionally a few with IGH gears, etc. Many come with baskets and fenders. They can also order in (or build) a high-end, cf-framed gravel bike complete with electronic shifting. Plenty of variety. Though I doubt that they've sold a traditional (drop bar, skinny tire) road bike in....ever. When I lived in larger cities, I routinely saw even more variety. My fave large-city LBS doesn't even carry ANY road-racing bikes, though they were stocked by other shops within a one mile radius. And I have indeed seen (and sat on) touring bikes in that shop, and also a sub-$1000 commuter bike that came complete with dynamo lighting.

Your rant feels manufactured, or perhaps borne of ignorance.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
A lot to unpack with that screed. Until the moderators create the emoji, this will have to do.

“Old man yells at clouds”
Not an emoji, but gets the point across.

Last edited by Koyote; 10-08-23 at 09:42 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-08-23, 09:42 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
I have only read part of this thread, but for the information of the OP, Surly is made by QBP, which doesn't do franchise arrangements, as they are mostly a bicycle parts distributor. So they sell to EVERY STORE IN THE COUNTRY. EVERY LBS is a Surly dealer if they want to be, and if they don't stock what you want, they can order it.

They also make All-City bikes, but sadly they will soon be discontinuing this line soon.

And they make Salsa's too.

It does seem like it is easier to complain than to find solutions, though....
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-08-23, 10:30 PM
Jameth

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Being lectured by a newbie on how the bicycle industry should work never gets old.
To say that I'm here "lecturing" you only serves to point out your own insecurity about the topic. I also didn't realize I needed to make 1000 posts before voicing any observations about the bicycle industry. Was that your point? Or did you not have one?
Old 10-08-23, 10:39 PM
tomato coupe

To say that I'm here "lecturing" you only serves to point out your own insecurity about the topic.
The lack of logic in that sentence is astounding.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-08-23, 10:41 PM
Jameth

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I have only read part of this thread, but for the information of the OP, Surly is made by QBP, which doesn't do franchise arrangements, as they are mostly a bicycle parts distributor. So they sell to EVERY STORE IN THE COUNTRY. EVERY LBS is a Surly dealer if they want to be, and if they don't stock what you want, they can order it.

They also make All-City bikes, but sadly they will soon be discontinuing this line soon.

And they make Salsa's too.

It does seem like it is easier to complain than to find solutions, though....
I did not know that, and that explains why the shops I've found to be All-City dealers are also Surly dealers.

And I am not here to complain rather than find solutions. I'm well aware I can walk into a shop and order bikes or components. Those solutions don't inherently invalidate the concerns I raised (nor do any of the really clever replies lazily quoting a tired, old Simpsons meme.).
Old 10-08-23, 10:49 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

I did not know that, and that explains why the shops I've found to be All-City dealers are also Surly dealers.

And I am not here to complain rather than find solutions. I'm well aware I can walk into a shop and order bikes or components. Those solutions don't inherently invalidate the concerns I raised (nor do any of the really clever replies lazily quoting a tired, old Simpsons meme.).
That's good to hear, but you should expect that people will react to your posts in proportion to the volume of pixels you spend on complaining versus discussing solutions. I suggest that you take the flak you are getting as a message about how you are being perceived. If you didn't want to be perceived that way, you might consider a different tone.

Edit: "Solutions" does not mean changing the way the bike industry works - good luck with that. It means educating yourself about how the bike industry works so that you can get what you want and need with less friction and dissatisfaction.

Last edited by MinnMan; 10-08-23 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-08-23, 10:51 PM
Jameth

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The lack of logic in that sentence is astounding.
in·fer·ence
/ˈinf(ə)rəns/
noun
  1. a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning.

As evidenced by your useless attempt to enter the thread, take a passing jab at me, then exit the thread...having contributed absolutely nothing of worth to the discussion.
Old 10-08-23, 11:14 PM
Jameth

Originally Posted by MinnMan
That's good to hear, but you should expect that people will react to your posts in proportion to the volume of pixels you spend on complaining versus discussing solutions. I suggest that you take the flak you are getting as a message about how you are being perceived. If you didn't want to be perceived that way, you might consider a different tone.

Edit: "Solutions" does not mean changing the way the bike industry works - good luck with that. It means educating yourself about how the bike industry works so that you can get what you want and need with less friction and dissatisfaction.
Well, my original intent was merely to vent about something really annoying that happened to me yesterday. And I typically only have three tones...sarcastic, cynical, and sneering (lol). But, you're right. I do need to take some classes in debate and public speaking.

I get what you meant by solutions. My issue is with the industry as a whole and I would like to see it changed. Which, my only means of affecting that kind of change is by withholding my money from these shops and by expressing my dissatisfaction to others in the community.
Likes For Jameth:
Old 10-08-23, 11:16 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I get what you meant by solutions. My issue is with the industry as a whole and I would like to see it changed. Which, my only means of affecting that kind of change is by withholding my money from these shops and by expressing my dissatisfaction to others in the community.
Well.

What kind of riding do you want to do, even?
Old 10-08-23, 11:24 PM
MinnMan

Well, my original intent was merely to vent about something really annoying that happened to me yesterday. And I typically only have three tones...sarcastic, cynical, and sneering (lol). But, you're right. I do need to take some classes in debate and public speaking.

It isn't really my business or anybody else's, but from the outside, it seems that your anger that the world doesn't work the way you want it to is getting in the way of optimizing your own health and pleasure. Every possible kind of bike is on the market, if you know where to look. Wouldn't it be better to find the bike that suits you and to be out riding?

The chief victim of your ire appears to be you.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-08-23, 11:31 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
I don't know what the OP is on about. Every bike shop I can think of has a few bikes for every type of paying customer or the know-how to send that non-customer to where they can get their needs met.

Maybe the OP hasn't noticed but the majority of bikes sold are the run-of-of-the-mill, utilitarian, recreational commuter variety for the budget conscious or "unsure" new buyer. Also true: The majority of miles actually ridden in an expeditious manner (& hence seen by the OP) are the lycra-clad, cleat wearing, drop-bar road variety.

That the OP's needs are not met says more about his/her knowledge of the bicycle world than anything.

Every Giant dealer carries Momentum. Every Trek shop carries a Loft or an FX. Every Specialized dealer has a Sirrus or Roll. How about a Linus? Why not a Public? Why not Soma or Rivendell or anyone of a million other brands?

I swear. Reading between the lines, I see jealousy. "Mr. Fancybiken with the pot-belly rides faster than me because crabon plastique cost $15,000. WHINE!!!"
No. Mr. Fancybiken is faster because he is better at bikes than you. He'd be faster on an Omafiets, if he chose to than you on a Bennotti Vial EVO because he's just better at bikes than you. Simple as that. How do you know Mr. 12mph crabon plastique isn't also 76 years old & recovering from a punish pass that shattered his elbow 6 weeks ago? Or maybe he's 57, recovering from a wicked bad bypass & his blood meds make it so his heart won't go anymore? (Both examples are true, BTW)

It's not about the bike. It never is. Get educated & get over it.

Last edited by base2; 10-09-23 at 12:21 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-09-23, 01:00 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
I visited a new-to-me shop today, hoping to see some cool bikes or gear. But, that didn't happen. They were stocked with the same 100 iterations of the drop bar road bike that every shop seems to carry. The same inflexible fleet of impractical bikes. Boring. Useless.

Is it even possible to find a shop with a selection of utility bikes? Fixies? Touring bikes? Even a single touring bike??? Because I have never, EVER managed to walk into a shop with a single, solitary touring bike on hand. They're mythical bikes that exist only if you believe in them enough, apparently.
Shops sell what the market wants, and many (most) can’t afford to sit on bikes which are not what the current market considers in vogue. People buy what is popular, not necessarily what is proper or good. It wasn’t long ago that shops were full of mountain bikes, and good road bikes were as hard to find as hen’s teeth.
Old 10-09-23, 05:08 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Oh boy, now consumers are being "marginalized" by lack of desired bicycle selection in a bike shop. I think I'm gonna take up drinking alcohol as I can't take this anymore.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-09-23, 06:11 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,606 Times in 3,787 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I think I'm gonna take up drinking alcohol as I can't take this anymore.
It helps.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 10-09-23, 06:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Rohloff.

I'm in the DC area, if anyone knows a shop carrying something other than Trek and Specialized.
Since when is a bike with a Rohloff hub a fixed gear bike?

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-09-23 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-09-23, 06:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
My issue is with the industry as a whole and I would like to see it changed. Which, my only means of affecting that kind of change is by withholding my money from these shops and by expressing my dissatisfaction to others in the community.
Thanks for the Monday laugh.

Good luck finding your fixed gear Rohloff flat bar touring bike that you can ride with your hands off the bars. (As someone with more than a little touring experience under his belt, I can say that that last part of your master plan is not the best idea unless you are riding on a very smooth, flat surface.)
Old 10-09-23, 06:42 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
"The market" seems to be trending toward less diversity and more conformity. The fewer models they design and manufacture, the more money they save. However, some brands focus on the type of bike you've mentioned. Try to find a Salsa, Ridley or Kona dealer. It might not be easy, but it should be worth it. Myself, I'd look for a used Dawes Super Galaxy for $200.00 and call it a day.
Old 10-09-23, 06:45 AM
tomato coupe

in·fer·ence
/ˈinf(ə)rəns/
noun
  1. a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning.

As evidenced by your useless attempt to enter the thread, take a passing jab at me, then exit the thread...having contributed absolutely nothing of worth to the discussion.
More flawless logic.

Your style and combativeness suggests a sock ...
Old 10-09-23, 06:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
"The market" seems to be trending toward less diversity and more conformity. The fewer models they design and manufacture, the more money they save. However, some brands focus on the type of bike you've mentioned. Try to find a Salsa, Ridley or Kona dealer. It might not be easy, but it should be worth it. Myself, I'd look for a used Dawes Super Galaxy for $200.00 and call it a day.
Nonsense. The bike market is far more diverse today than it ever was.
Old 10-09-23, 06:51 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
"The market" seems to be trending toward less diversity and more conformity.
Based on a recent trip to the local shop I'd say that is total nonsense. I saw lots of diversity. Maybe the diversity just isn't all the stuff you want to see. Why is that? Most likely because it isn't what the shop can actually sell to their customers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.