Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Fastback Carbon Road Bike on sale. Good deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 02:08 PM
lsubiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Amazon's return department (Amazon Warehouse Deals) has this Schwinn for around $1100. Is this a pretty good deal?

Link:
https://amzn.to/45tdKYR
Old 10-11-23, 02:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
For the rpice it looks quite good .... I would pay quite a bit for an old 5800 rim brake gruppo .... I am a little concerned about tire clearance .... looks like 25s is all it will take, and I am assuming those are older, narrower wheels, seeing as all the parts are older .... but if the bike is under 19 pounds and under $1200 it seems like a good deal. For smooth pavement I;'d say yes it is a good deal. The group set and wheels alone are worth a good bit, and the frame is not porky ... if the listed weights are accurate.

Make sure the frame fits you ....
Old 10-11-23, 04:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
In some areas, bike shops don't work on bikes that they are not a authorized dealer for. So if you aren't able to DIY for yourself, you might ask at the local bikes shops and be sure they'll be there for you with that bike. Schwinn isn't the Schwinn that was famous and revered many years ago in the previous century. But the bike is likely decent enough to get some experience with. If cycling turns out to be your thing, then IMO, no bike should be your forever bike. Wear them out and get another!
Old 10-11-23, 06:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think $1200 is about the going price for them anyway. It's not a bad price. But as it's been pointed out, there's no support, and the fact that it says "Schwinn" doesn't mean it's in any way associated with the old company of the same name.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 10-11-23, 06:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Not a good deal. The Schwinn name on the bike means less than nothing and hasn't for at least 30 years. At less than half the asking price, Pass
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-11-23, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
The components on it are entry level which is not a bad thing if defined correctly 105 is a solid groupset that is quite reliable but the bike as a whole isn't particularly worth that much being a Schwinn. It is not terrible price wise considering these days a bike like that would be a bit more expensive but again zero support for it and you are buying essentially second hand product if the frame is damaged or there are others issues at all you are out on your own. From what I have been reading people have had issues and have had to return bikes and get new ones and deal with various issues and while it is all anecdotal evidence it is worthwhile noting people are saying this stuff so you can make a more informed decision.
Old 10-11-23, 09:10 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Regardless of brand, a full carbon, full 105 rim brake bike for under $1200 sounds like a decent deal to me. It'll be no worse than any other entry-mid level carbon bike with a similar parts spec at that price point, and maybe among the better bikes you can get at that price point, period.
Old 10-11-23, 09:16 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The components on it are entry level which is not a bad thing if defined correctly 105 is a solid groupset that is quite reliable but the bike as a whole isn't particularly worth that much being a Schwinn. It is not terrible price wise considering these days a bike like that would be a bit more expensive but again zero support for it and you are buying essentially second hand product if the frame is damaged or there are others issues at all you are out on your own. From what I have been reading people have had issues and have had to return bikes and get new ones and deal with various issues and while it is all anecdotal evidence it is worthwhile noting people are saying this stuff so you can make a more informed decision.
Seriously? Since when is 105 an entry level road bike? Maybe entry level for racing purposes but not entry level for in general. Shimano's road line consists of Tourney, Claris, Sora and Tiagra all below 105 while only Ultegra and DA are above it, not exactly entry. Its amazon warehouse, not craigslist, if the frame shows up cracked then you bring it to the nearest amazon drop off location. And if you've looked at bikes these days, they're going for a lot more, for example, trek thinks their aluminum frame, 11sp 105 equipped bike should be worth 2300.00 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black Note, they claim a 105 equipped bike is race ready, so I'm guessing they'll argue with you that it isn't entry level as well.

OP, the biggest issue is that unless you're skilled in building bikes, you'll have to pay a shop to build it, as we're entering the off season that should be easy to find but expect to pay about a 100.00 for the assembly. As to the condition of the bike, that's a gamble. Personally I like amazon warehouse deals but its been a mixed bag. Some of the stuff was there because the packaging was more damaged than Amazon wants to ship out as new, the item inside was pristine. Others were clearly sent back and with parts missing, which wasted an hour of my time to return but Kohls gives coupons for doing returns through them and getting 5.00 off a pack of socks I needed seemed reasonable. As to quality, this is not the same schwinn company that many remember, that can be both good and bad. Schwinn is now part of the Pacific group along with GT, Dyno, Cannondale and Litespeed. With Schwinn they are making two lines, the better of the two is as well made as any of the other brands and I'd guess this is part of that line. It'll lack the pedigree of the originals but will still be a nice bike. The cheaper line, from my direct experience with them really suck, but so too do most of the crap 70s and 80s schwinns that people seem to fawn over.
Old 10-12-23, 04:11 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Shimano 105 - $550
Shimano wheelset - $175
Tires - $50
Bars, seatpost, misc finishing kit - $200
Assembly, shipping, retail markup...

Even with bulk discounts on all the above products, for that bike to be sold at any profit level - I'm guessing Schwinn paid about $50 for that frame and fork from China. Max $50.

Big ole nope for me. Still recovering, 18 months later, from cheap a China CF product failure.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 10-12-23, 05:23 AM
tinkerbike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Used bike!

As linked, this offer is for a USED bike from Amazon's return department. There's only one available. That's a hard pass...
Old 10-12-23, 05:38 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
I bought my Roubaix for $300 on FB, 50 mile - mint condition. Keep an eye for deals and something better will come up, unless you have an urgent need for bike.

With tax this Schwinn is almost $1,300.
Old 10-12-23, 07:39 AM
JaseVermin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks good to me
Old 10-12-23, 09:39 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by tinkerbike
As linked, this offer is for a USED bike from Amazon's return department. There's only one available. That's a hard pass...
I dunno, the description says "looks and functions as new", and you could always return it if it doesn't match that description.

OP: (edited to remove "invalid" comparison). That's a good groupset with a decent frame and wheelset, at a price you'll only see on bikes with much more mileage on them.

Last edited by urbanknight; 10-12-23 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-12-23, 09:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

As menti0ned above this is apparently the latest generation of "Schwinn" bicycles built by the brand's latest owner .... so no comparisons to earlier models produced by different manufacturers are valid.

Also, this is not apparently a "used" bike but a bike which was knocked around during shipping and returned. if after careful inspection it turned out that the bike was fine while the box was not ... that is what is called "a Deal," folks and they can be good things. Maybe none of you shop "scratch and dent" sales, or by refurbished floor models ... I have been doing it successfully for decades. Nothing is guaranteed, of course ... ever. You could get a brand new custom-built frame and have it fail fatally on the first ride, through some total freak of nature, or buy a bike which which came in a box made mostly of tape, which lasted decades.

This bike, to me, is on par with Bikes Direct bikes .... three-year-old tech, solid, not spectacular, at a fair price ... and how many of us really Need "spectacular"? And a brand-new 8000-grouop set with rim brakes?

Almost every bike I have ever bought needed some changes ... a stem or bars and usually a saddle better suited to my anatomy .... so if this bike coast someone else $100 to assemble (not me, but some folks) then that is a small premium which I would expect to possibly have to pay anyway. Shoot, why not throw in the cost of cages and pedals and a seat bag and tools and tubes?

A sub 19-pound bike with an 8000 group set for about $1200 ..... If you Know bikes and are willing to spend a lot of time and money waiting for the right deal, driving there, and finding out the seller mis-described the bike or whatever ... . you Can find amazing used bikes for good prices ... depending on your area. I am sure in some regions the used market is pretty sparse. And if you don't know bikes in general you could end up paying a lot more for the wrong bike .... whereas here a newer rider can get a bike form a major corporation (which means parts availability at least) with a very good group set and very little worry.

I don't see people flooding the thread with their "perfect deals" which match this one .......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-12-23, 11:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Also, this is not apparently a "used" bike but a bike which was knocked around during shipping and returned.
I didn't notice this. Where did you see it in the listing?
Old 10-12-23, 01:08 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Koyote
I didn't notice this. Where did you see it in the listing?
Yeah. I don't see it either. Thanks for pointing out my error.

I probably leapt to a wrong conclusion after reading about a couple being sent back due to mishandling during shipping but this bike definitely says "used-very good condition."

"First of all make sure you inspect the shipping box and bike itself diligently. I had to send back the first 2 I got for various reasons that made them unacceptable and they were all likely due to the shipping and the terrible boxes they come in (bent dropouts on carbon fork, faulty shifter, etc)." I figured this was the same bike, refurbished, but there is no evidence to support that.

I was wrong. Thanks for catching that.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-12-23, 01:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
The components on it are entry level which is not a bad thing if defined correctly 105 is a solid groupset that is quite reliable but...
Components are entry level? Its a full R7000 105 group, even crank. The aluminum cockpit and wheels are both no different in quality than what you would recently find on rim brake bikes up to about $2500 price range.

In what world is this a bike with entry level components.
Old 10-12-23, 02:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
My only caveat is that there are no photos showing how the rear derailleur shift cable is routed around the bottom bracket. The cable is (a) internal through the downtube but (b) external to the rear chain stay. How it transitions from (a) to (b) would be important to me.
Old 10-12-23, 06:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Components are entry level? Its a full R7000 105 group, even crank. The aluminum cockpit and wheels are both no different in quality than what you would recently find on rim brake bikes up to about $2500 price range.

In what world is this a bike with entry level components.
I do not consider bottom end components to be "entry level" These are good components to start with they are reliable, not super expensive and will last a while.
Old 10-12-23, 06:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Seriously? Since when is 105 an entry level road bike? Maybe entry level for racing purposes but not entry level for in general. Shimano's road line consists of Tourney, Claris, Sora and Tiagra all below 105 while only Ultegra and DA are above it, not exactly entry. Its amazon warehouse, not craigslist, if the frame shows up cracked then you bring it to the nearest amazon drop off location. And if you've looked at bikes these days, they're going for a lot more, for example, trek thinks their aluminum frame, 11sp 105 equipped bike should be worth 2300.00 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black Note, they claim a 105 equipped bike is race ready, so I'm guessing they'll argue with you that it isn't entry level as well.

OP, the biggest issue is that unless you're skilled in building bikes, you'll have to pay a shop to build it, as we're entering the off season that should be easy to find but expect to pay about a 100.00 for the assembly. As to the condition of the bike, that's a gamble. Personally I like amazon warehouse deals but its been a mixed bag. Some of the stuff was there because the packaging was more damaged than Amazon wants to ship out as new, the item inside was pristine. Others were clearly sent back and with parts missing, which wasted an hour of my time to return but Kohls gives coupons for doing returns through them and getting 5.00 off a pack of socks I needed seemed reasonable. As to quality, this is not the same schwinn company that many remember, that can be both good and bad. Schwinn is now part of the Pacific group along with GT, Dyno, Cannondale and Litespeed. With Schwinn they are making two lines, the better of the two is as well made as any of the other brands and I'd guess this is part of that line. It'll lack the pedigree of the originals but will still be a nice bike. The cheaper line, from my direct experience with them really suck, but so too do most of the crap 70s and 80s schwinns that people seem to fawn over.
I am aware of Shimano's line up Tourney and Claris are junk Sora is mediocre and Tiagra has improved but 105 is actually a good solid entry level groupset. I don't consider the bottom end to be entry level. Entry level should be good reliable components that function well not just the cheap junk that is at the bottom end.

Yes a Trek is expensive you pay good money for it to say Trek on it. Typically a rim brake road bike is around $1500 though that varies especially these days with so much going towards discs and in some cases it is downgraded to Tiagra.
Old 10-12-23, 06:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I do not consider bottom end components to be "entry level" These are good components to start with they are reliable, not super expensive and will last a while.
It's unfortunate that you view Sora and Tiagra to be bottom end and not even worthy of being considered entry level.
Both are extremely reliable and popular for those who are looking for a bike thst is closer to the entry level price point.

We all have emotion based biases about something though.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-12-23 at 07:44 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-12-23, 09:19 PM
Maelochs

I am aware of Shimano's line up Tourney and Claris are junk Sora is mediocre and Tiagra has improved but 105 is actually a good solid entry level groupset.
No you are not "aware" of those things. You imagine those things.

Claris (modern Claris) is a solid 8-speed group set which has benefited from all of Shimano's experience. Sora is even better. Claris is indeed "entry-level" if one is entering the world of reliable long-lasting road bikes.

The fact that you think "entry-level" means "halfway up the hierarchy" shows that either you don't understand what "entry-level" means.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-14-23 at 10:41 AM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-12-23, 09:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Maelochs
No you are not "aware" of those things. You imagine those things.

Claris (mo9dern Claris) is a solid 8-speed group set which has benefited from all of Shimano's experience. Sora is even better. Claris is indeed "entry-level" if one is entering the world of reliable long-lasting road bikes.

The fact that you think "entry-level" means "halfway up the hierarchy" shows that either you don't understand what "entry-level" means.
One of my kids has a Claris drivetrain road bike and it's been flawless for 4 years now. She even rode it in an ironman last year when she was 18. Definitely the only person that I saw with a Claris bike!

I tore it down this past winter and fully cleaned it before replacing the chain, cassette, and cables/housing.
It was dead simple to set back up and set the the shifting. It had over 5000mi on it in the first 3 years of use and shifting was perfect that whole time.
The group is heavy and since there is a lot of steel, it gets some superficial rust specks. That's the downside. Otherwise, incredible value for the cost so far.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-14-23 at 10:41 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-13-23, 04:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I am aware of Shimano's line up Tourney and Claris are junk Sora is mediocre and Tiagra has improved but 105 is actually a good solid entry level groupset. I don't consider the bottom end to be entry level. Entry level should be good reliable components that function well not just the cheap junk that is at the bottom end.

Yes a Trek is expensive you pay good money for it to say Trek on it. Typically a rim brake road bike is around $1500 though that varies especially these days with so much going towards discs and in some cases it is downgraded to Tiagra.
It sounds like we have different definitions of "entry level". I believe entry level is supposed to be less expensive equipment so the person doesn't fret about the investment needed to try something out that they may or may not like.
Old 10-13-23, 05:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
My kids had Walmart and Target BSO's growing up. The group sets were Shimano, and likely the cheapest possible Shimano. I never had any issue with them that bending the hanger or adjusting the DR wouldn't fix. Oh, and spraying lots of lube in the FW's since they left them out in the yard in the rain instead of putting them back where they belonged. This idea that a inexpensive groups are junk is getting old and tiresome. IMO, probably people think this because they used those groups BITD when they were still little kids that abused bicycles and weren't good at DIY yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.