Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Found a bottle of vodka in a dumpster on a ride, you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Found a bottle of vodka in a dumpster on a ride, you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 06:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Where I come from, the biggest concern is finding a corpse when you peak in a dumpster.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-05-22, 06:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Man, haters gonna hate

I am not sure what’s more entertaining: Hearing about this guy‘s dumpster vodka, or all the people clutching their pearls over looking in dumpsters.
Yeah, especially since the OP is a sock who didn’t post for 8 years after joining.

In any event, I have no problem looking in certain dumpsters. Many years ago I pulled a copy of this album from atop a pile of C&D debris in a dumpster.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-05-22, 07:51 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Many years ago, on the 5th of July, I was riding my 3-speed behind the strip mall and looking in dumpsters. I discovered the holy grail for 12 year old boys! The fireworks stand dumped all their unsold inventory in the dumpster the night before. It took me 5 trips hauling the take home in my canvas saddlebags. I was able to have hours of adolescent fun that summer shooting off fireworks with my buddies.
Likes For Lambkin55:
Old 07-05-22, 07:53 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Don't you find, though, that dumpsters really kind of tend to stink? Like that guy at the Chez Paul said in "The Blues Brothers" - They smell bad. Specifically, they small like garbage. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but every time I've been too close to a dumpster or I've accidentally touched a dumpster or I've - heaven forbid - reached into a dumpster, I can smell the garbage on my clothes the whole rest of the day. Or maybe my nose is just too sensitive? I can get some nice clean non-stinky bottle of vodka six days a week; why drink the stinky stuff?
You have no experience dumpster-diving, if you did you would not say those things. Also, I never said this thread was dumpster-specific, so there is no reason to fixate on them. I found a nice hat, many hats as a matter of fact, just laying on the road/street over the years while riding. I got a nice baseball hat a week ago that was like new, my wife washed it and I wore it today. There are lots of items everywhere on the roadside during ever ride, and a lot of them are worth picking up. I got three bikes that were out for trash next to the dumpster of a local restaurant a few weeks ago, and one of them was a Bianchi road-bike, too small for me, but I fixed it up a bit anyway, and the other was a Schwinn Varsity. Restaurant dumpsters do often smell bad, but many do not smell at all, and much of the stuff sitting on a curb out for trash or just laying on the street or roadside does not smell either except like fresh air and sunshine.
Old 07-05-22, 08:01 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
got lice?
Old 07-05-22, 09:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,208 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I never said this thread was dumpster-specific.
Oh, that's the reason! I was wondering why this thread wasn't started in the dumpster diving subforum. Thanks for clarifying.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-06-22, 01:36 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
No, this thread is about you finding a half bottle of vodka in a dumpster and proceeding to brag that you drank it with no concern for yourself, in particular that it may have been adulterated. You were just really proud that you were able to score some cheap booze. Which in reality might be the sign of someone suffering from severe alcohol addiction.

Regardless, taking home a half bottle of vodka from a dumpster is abnormal behavior. Period. That is not ad hominem, it is a factual observation of behavior that is not socially normal. Asking if you’re a troll is not an attack, and is quite reasonable considering the behavior you’ve claimed seems awfully odd, and posts like this are historically just troll jobs. Wondering if you’ve got brain damage is not ad hominem. Brian damage is not just a congenital condition, and in fact it is quite common amongst people who have suffered Traumatic Brain Injuries due to concussive impacts and/or significant oxygen deprivation.
Nobody is going to adulterate a half drunk bottle of vodka in the garbage. This post reeks of someone with little real life experience with dumpster diving. OP is talking about grabbing stuff that others leave for garbage, something that people on bikes are more likely to see and grab
Old 07-06-22, 02:13 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
This post reeks of someone with little real life experience with dumpster diving.
That's an interesting brand of elitism you're displaying, Larry.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 07-06-22, 04:02 AM
indyfabz

The OP should start his own YouTube channel.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-06-22, 06:32 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
This post reeks of someone with little real life experience with dumpster diving.
Sometimes it seems like I've wandered into the wrong forum.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-06-22, 06:37 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Count me among the reeking (the kind from NOT dumpster-diving).
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-06-22, 06:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Can you call it a "ride" if you stop to check out what's in the dumpsters along the way?
Old 07-06-22, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So my last experience with dumpster diving was near missing a guy's head a few years ago with my trash because I didn't know he was in the giant dumpster behind my apartment building. He stood up just as I was throwing it and we both yelled because he was just a couple inches from me and we were startled. He actually drove a truck around the complex and would take the furniture that people threw away. It never occurred to me to check for human occupancy before throwing my trash.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-06-22, 06:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Can you call it a "ride" if you stop to check out what's in the dumpsters along the way?
This is a classic "Foo" thread--might as well start one about garage sale finds or purchases from farm stands I happened upon while riding my bike.
Old 07-06-22, 07:00 AM
indyfabz

Nobody is going to adulterate a half drunk bottle of vodka in the garbage.
Just like nobody would ever take home bottles of OTC pain medication, adulterate the contents and return them to the shelves, ushering in the age of tamper-resistant packaging.

In any event, nowhere is there any indication that the (non-existent) bottle was "half drunk." The (non-existent) bottle not being full does not necessarily mean that some of its (non-existent) contents were consumed.

You are very good at the role you play. Wondering if you are this Rip Van Winkle.
Old 07-06-22, 07:07 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
A half bottle of vodka? And it didn't even have any ciggie butts in it? Backwash?
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 07-06-22, 07:16 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is a classic "Foo" thread--might as well start one about garage sale finds or purchases from farm stands I happened upon while riding my bike.
One fall, while returning from a long-weekend tour, I stopped at a roadside farm stand and bought a blackberry pie after confirming that the stand had a roll of duct tape I could use. I taped the box to the platform of my front rack. Made it all the way home without any damage.

The owners used to have a sweet, old cat named Ducky. They named it that because it made a quacking sound. It was a relatively rare orange tabby female. A couple of years ago I stopped by on the first day of a tour to pick up a zucchini to go with dinner. I was deeply saddened to learn that Ducky had been hit by a car and killed a few weeks earlier.

This is the place:

845 Tuckahoe Rd - Google Maps

If you pan around you can see some traffic. The image capture is from a November. During the spring and summer there is more traffic, especially on the weekends are people now use backroads to get to the beach in order to avoid the busy expressways. That part of NJ used to be much less populated, and there were more farm stands along that road. The rest are now all gone.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-06-22 at 07:23 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-06-22, 07:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just like nobody would ever take home bottles of OTC pain medication, adulterate the contents and return them to the shelves, ushering in the age of tamper-resistant packaging.

In any event, nowhere is there any indication that the (non-existent) bottle was "half drunk." The (non-existent) bottle not being full does not necessarily mean that some of its (non-existent) contents were consumed.

You are very good at the role you play. Wondering if you are this Rip Van Winkle.
It's not even a matter of adulteration. People reuse bottles and don't always bother to relabel them or take the label off when they do.

I've never seen anyone do a blindfold taste test between rubbing alcohol and quality vodka, but a person wouldn't need to have bad intent to reuse a fancy vodka bottle as their rubbing alcohol container, they might even find it funny as a private joke. Nowhere in that scenario would they have given thought to what might happen after it's been discarded. People rarely do.
Old 07-06-22, 07:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

One fall, while returning from a long-weekend tour, I stopped at a roadside farm stand and bought a blackberry pie after confirming that the stand had a roll of duct tape I could use. I taped the box to the platform of my front rack. Made it all the way home without any damage.

The owners used to have a sweet, old cat named Ducky. They named it that because it made a quacking sound. It was a relatively rare orange tabby female. A couple of years ago I stopped by on the first day of a tour to pick up a zucchini to go with dinner. I was deeply saddened to learn that Ducky had been hit by a car and killed a few weeks earlier.

This is the place:

845 Tuckahoe Rd - Google Maps

I had an orange male cat whose best animal friend was a wolf-dog hybrid, and they would cuddle on a couch together.

My now-adult son just told me about all the critters my orange cat killed around the house we were living in at the time. I had no idea. I think at the time, my son didn't want to "tattle" on the cat.

The "dumpster divers" in that neighborhood were all of the racoon variety.

Bicycle.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-06-22, 07:24 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Wondering if you are this Rip Van Winkle.
My "Magic 8 Ball" says Most Likely!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-06-22, 07:28 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
You have no experience dumpster-diving, if you did you would not say those things.
Well, you're wrong there.

Also, I never said this thread was dumpster-specific, so there is no reason to fixate on them.
It's got "dumpster" right in the thread title! How can it not be at least somewhat dumpster-specific?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-06-22, 07:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I had an orange male cat whose best animal friend was a wolf-dog hybrid, and they would cuddle on a couch together.

My now-adult son just told me about all the critters my orange cat killed around the house we were living in at the time. I had no idea. I think at the time, my son didn't want to "tattle" on the cat.

The "dumpster divers" in that neighborhood were all of the racoon variety.

Bicycle.
My late orange boy after I got home from a two-week bicycle tour out west. He stayed at my ex’s place while I was away. He looks gaunt because he was dying of lymphoma. Said goodbye to him the following month.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-06-22, 07:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Pulling a half-drunk bottle of vodka out of a dumpster is just plain disgusting.

However, a bottle of 12 year old scotch...
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-06-22, 07:35 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Yeah, especially since the OP is a sock who didn’t post for 8 years after joining.

In any event, I have no problem looking in certain dumpsters. Many years ago I pulled a copy of this album from atop a pile of C&D debris in a dumpster.

Scored one there.
Old 07-06-22, 08:53 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Found a half used bottle of wet lube in the dumpster, but I only use dry lube so I left it there.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.