Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 11:42 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Out of curiosity, because I don't know, what's the difference between CAAD and an aluminum Synapse? My first serious bike (that is, a bike that wasn't originally purchased from K-Mart or the like) was a decade old, used CAAD 4. I liked it but it was too big for me. Sold it a few years ago but stumbled on a 2014 Synapse in 51cm a couple months ago for a stupid price I couldn't pass up. I don't really have a lot of miles on the Synapse yet but I'm really liking that bike as well.
Old 03-10-24, 05:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11044 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Out of curiosity, because I don't know, what's the difference between CAAD and an aluminum Synapse? My first serious bike (that is, a bike that wasn't originally purchased from K-Mart or the like) was a decade old, used CAAD 4. I liked it but it was too big for me. Sold it a few years ago but stumbled on a 2014 Synapse in 51cm a couple months ago for a stupid price I couldn't pass up. I don't really have a lot of miles on the Synapse yet but I'm really liking that bike as well.
Biggest difference is geometry.
Smaller differences are possibly component level.

But if you are trying to compare a CAAD from 2000 with a Synapse from '14, the tube shaping will also be different. Whether that results in anything noticeable to you though, is unknown.
Old 03-10-24, 08:06 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I watched a funny video on youtube, where the presenter explained why he didn't buy the CAAD.

The 105 wasn't good enough for him.
Old 03-10-24, 11:09 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Biggest difference is geometry.
Smaller differences are possibly component level.

But if you are trying to compare a CAAD from 2000 with a Synapse from '14, the tube shaping will also be different. Whether that results in anything noticeable to you though, is unknown.
Thanks for the explanation. I liked my CAAD4 but it was too big for me so the geometry was never quite right. My Synapse is a 51cm, which is just a bit bigger than the 49 or 50cm I normally ride, but much, much closer

I bought the Synapse just a few weeks back and have only ridden it a few times but I really like it so far.
Old 03-29-24, 03:06 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
the 2014 isn't made in the USA like all the CAADs up to around 2009-2010. and as was already stated, the geometry, aesthetics, and tube shape all changed.
there really ain't nothing like a 1999-2005(ish) CAAD. best looking bikes.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 03-29-24, 10:40 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by the sci guy
the 2014 isn't made in the USA like all the CAADs up to around 2009-2010. and as was already stated, the geometry, aesthetics, and tube shape all changed.
there really ain't nothing like a 1999-2005(ish) CAAD. best looking bikes.
OK, but is this a case, like others, of "trickle down technology"? Maybe a 2014 Synapse incorporates some of the geometry and design elements of the earlier CAAD designs? Or are they intentionally two completely separate design philosophies?
Old 03-30-24, 01:50 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 333 Posts
OK, but is this a case, like others, of "trickle down technology"? Maybe a 2014 Synapse incorporates some of the geometry and design elements of the earlier CAAD designs? Or are they intentionally two completely separate design philosophies?
Maybe there is overlap in the alloy materials used in the two frames but the CAAD is a race frame and the Synapse is an endurance frame - different design philosophies.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-30-24, 10:40 AM
VegasJen

Hah, gotcha. Kind of what I was wondering.
Old 05-10-24, 10:04 AM
Clydesdale John

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Hi I am new

Hi
Old 05-10-24, 10:29 AM
Clydesdale John

I wanted to post a picture of my bike but they said I need to post 10 times. This is my second post. I am an old fat guy that enjoys riding his bike on the roads where the name Cannondale was born. I weighed over 300 pounds during winter. I own 3 bikes. My first bike that I started to ride on with my kids back in 2010. Teaching them to ride and discovering I like riding myself. It was a Schwinn 12 speed really old with non synchronized shifters. I fixed it up and rode more in 2011. I still own that bike. In 2011 I bought my second bike. It is a Giant Defy 3. First time on Clipless Pedals and first ever bike with synchronized shifters!! I began to ride more and joined a bike club. In 2012 and 2013 I rode a lot. I moved up the grades in my club from D to A. Then in 2013 I bought a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10. I entered my first ever race with it in 2013, The Tour of Greenwich and loved it!!! I then got a racing license and started Crit Racing. Over the winter of 2013-2014 I trained with a group of fast group riders and crit racers. We were all members of a local indoor cycling gym. In 2014 I raced at the old Cannondale Headquarters in Bethel CT. I raced a 1/2 dozen or so crit races there. I was 49 years old and 40 pounds over weight at 240 pounds!! I struggled to stay with the peloton in 2014. I attacked a couple of times when everyone was sleeping. Nobody really chased me because they figured I would be easy to bring back. I could brag to my kids that I led the race. I loved it. It was a lot of fun.

Any way I am back riding again, more often then last year and I lost 25 pounds. Still not fast enough to ride with my old cycling buddies. But I love riding and I still own that CAAD 10.
Likes For Clydesdale John:
Old 05-10-24, 10:40 AM
Clydesdale John

Is anybody alive in the Cult of CAAD? Or am I just old and out of touch. Is the Cult of CAAD dead?

My third post. I just want to post a picture of my bike. I need to get to 10 posts. But if the Cult of CAAD is dead then I think I might lose interest.
Old 05-10-24, 11:00 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked 3,064 Times in 1,746 Posts
Originally Posted by Clydesdale John
Is anybody alive in the Cult of CAAD? Or am I just old and out of touch. Is the Cult of CAAD dead?

My third post. I just want to post a picture of my bike. I need to get to 10 posts. But if the Cult of CAAD is dead then I think I might lose interest.
For some reason, this thread has become the most popular one on Bike Forums on the topic of Cannondale bikes. People have continued posting there up to and including the last few days. But here's hoping that your posts rekindle interest in this thread.

In any event, please keep posting so that you can upload the pictures. There are a lot of Cannondale enthusiasts here who would love to see your bike.
Old 05-10-24, 04:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,059 Posts
I am still alive but about to be booted off this thread if I do not finish building my CAAD 4 soon. CAAD owners usually post here when they acquire or upgrade their CAADs.

My third post. I just want to post a picture of my bike.
If you include a photo of your CAAD10 in your personal gallery another member can post it for you for all the other CAAD owners to admire.
Old 05-11-24, 12:44 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 399 Posts
Ditched the old-school Bontrager ergo bars for one of the spare modern bars I had, also new bar tape. My CAAD 5 hangs in display from my pain cave/home workout room, part of a little homage to cycling...IDK why it looks pink in this picture lol.

Old 05-14-24, 02:13 PM
Clydesdale John

The Bike 2013 CAAD 10

Raced the bike up in Bethel CT at the old Cannondale Headquarters.

Last edited by Clydesdale John; 05-14-24 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-14-24, 02:17 PM
Clydesdale John

The Gears are freshly waxed.

Old 05-14-24, 02:31 PM
Clydesdale John

Started Life as Rival gearing. Put on the Force in the back to have a long cage derailleur. Then I realized the front derailleur was total crap. Googled it and found out nobody liked it. So I replaced it with Force 22. Loved it!! Has yaw and can shift into all gears!! Then I needed better brakes so I upgraded to Ultegra for the brakes. I felt they would be better than Force brakes. I had 105 brakes upgraded to my other bike and loved it!! That is why I went to Ultegra for the brakes, Finally a dog chased me down the street. Big mean looking Pit Bull almost bit my ankle. I jerked the bike to the right trying to avoid a bite. Next thing I remember was sitting on some ones lawn looking at a demolished mail box, my wrecked CAAD 10, 5 people staring at me and that same dog barking at me. This time his owner was holding him. No I did not get bit. I have no memory of any of it but I am almost sure it was me who destroyed the mailbox.

Anyway I broke a Rival shifter and that justified me finishing the upgrade to Force shifters. Should I be thanking the dog? You know for allowing me to upgrade my bike?
Old 05-21-24, 09:11 AM
tFUnK

Oof, gnarly. Sounds like you had a case of PTA (post-trauma amnesia).

I was chased by a homeless guy's dog once - I didn't go down but I did get nipped.

All my bikes are still SRAM 10sp and the Force shifter is a minimal but noticeable upgrade from Rival. Didn't notice any difference between the RDs.
Old 05-21-24, 09:17 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by Trakhak
For some reason, this thread has become the most popular one on Bike Forums on the topic of Cannondale bikes. People have continued posting there up to and including the last few days.
At some point, the CAADs will also qualify for C&V status. That point may or may not have already passed 🤔

Sort of related - I miss this post-criterium, pre-CAAD 2.8.

Likes For tFUnK:
Old 05-21-24, 09:42 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
I think at this point a threaded headset on a road bike is automatic admission to C&V.

I love how Cannondale aluminum road bikes show steady evolution from model to model, especially in the USA years. From the first with their ultra stiffness and then the CAAD stiff & light, then huge DT and big BB area, then bendy chain stays and pencil seat stays and baseball-bat top tube, etc
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-21-24, 12:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
At some point, the CAADs will also qualify for C&V status. That point may or may not have already passed 🤔
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I think at this point a threaded headset on a road bike is automatic admission to C&V.
I humbly suggest that any Made in USA CAAD should qualify as C&V regardless of headset.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-21-24, 02:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11044 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
not c&v

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.