Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy to Campy Compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 01:43 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 93 Posts

I’m building up an older steel custom frame and would like to use a Campy mechanical drivetrain.

Can anyone provide or point me to information on compatibility of freehub cassettes, hubs and derailleurs among the various Campy groups over the years?
Old 05-14-24, 06:32 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4582 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,133 Posts
What, all of them? How about getting a little more specific?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-14-24, 06:48 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 740 Posts
8sp used its own cassette spline/freehub body, everything after till 12sp uses the exact same hub. 13sp has an adapter to use the older hubs but uses the same spline. Any #speed cassette will work with that speed shifter, so 8 with 8, 9 with 9. The gaps between cogs changed with each speed change and 9 and 10 speed had variable cog spacing so you can't scrape by having an 8sp shifter just shift 8 cogs of a 9sp cassette. Within a speed range, Chorus and above will play together best, the groups that sit below Chorus will also play decently together provided they all are meant to support the same number of speeds. Daytona 10sp and Centaur 10sp are the exact same group, just a name change to avoid a lawsuit. Cranks you can get away with using one speed to either direction but shifting will suffer a touch. So I have no trouble using an 11sp crank on a 12sp bike. But the number of BB standards that campy has is its own issue. Don't know of any specific site.
Old 05-14-24, 07:44 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 399 Posts
^^^^^ You left out first generation 9 speed has a different spline. And first gen 9 speed ergos don't play well with the later generation 9 speed derailleurs and vise versa.

Last edited by gearbasher; 05-14-24 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-14-24, 11:17 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
^^^^^ You left out first generation 9 speed has a different spline.And first gen 9 speed ergos don't play well with the later generation 9 speed derailuers and vise versa.
I had first generation 9 speed and the splines were no different than the ones on my 10 speed wheels. However, the shifters and rear derailleur were different. The shifter hoods were pointy and the rear derailleur had a B screw similar to the one on a Shimano derailleur. Later shifters had hoods like the ones on the first 10 speed shifters and the adjustment screw was on the lower pivot
Old 05-14-24, 01:54 PM
gearbasher

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I had first generation 9 speed and the splines were no different than the ones on my 10 speed wheels. However, the shifters and rear derailleur were different. The shifter hoods were pointy and the rear derailleur had a B screw similar to the one on a Shimano derailleur. Later shifters had hoods like the ones on the first 10 speed shifters and the adjustment screw was on the lower pivot
I stand corrected. I was positive the very first 9 speed cassette bodies had a different spline. I did a search and came up with nothing.
I have a set of early 9 speed Record and Chorus ergos with alloy levers that have the rounded hoods/bodies and they will not work with the later 9 speed derailleurs.

Last edited by gearbasher; 05-14-24 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-14-24, 05:01 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Sorry for the lack of specificity. Just trying to use Campy 9/10/11 speed cassette, hub and rear derailleur. This does not sound promising for buying older stuff from eBay or otherwise unless I can find a whole group. I haven't seen a Campy group on eBay that includes a hub as they seem to be sold separately. Bummer.

I'd like to run something with 9/10/11 speeds and I'll be running friction shifters. Does this make it easier? Are the 9/10/11 cassettes interchangeable on a single freehub? Does the rear derailleur have to match with friction shifters?
Old 05-15-24, 02:45 AM
gearbasher

Yes, 9-10-11 speeds are interchangeable on the same freehub (just don't get an 8 speed hub). The RDs will work with friction shifters. Only try to find shifters with a larger rear barrel. A good amount of cable take-up is needed to go though all the gears. The original Record DT shifters from the pre C-Record era will work, but by the time you shift to the largest rear cog the lever is pretty much pointing straight back. Hope this makes sense.
Old 05-15-24, 06:51 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by gearbasher
Yes, 9-10-11 speeds are interchangeable on the same freehub (just don't get an 8 speed hub). The RDs will work with friction shifters. Only try to find shifters with a larger rear barrel. A good amount of cable take-up is needed to go though all the gears. The original Record DT shifters from the pre C-Record era will work, but by the time you shift to the largest rear cog the lever is pretty much pointing straight back. Hope this makes sense.
Great - thanks!