Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

How about a forum for IGH (internal geared Hub )Bikes

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 02:17 PM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With the advent of the Alfine 8 and Alfine 11 along with Rolhoff and NuVinci multiple speed internal geared bikes are making a dent in the US marketplace.
Problem is: The shops that understand these hubs are few and far between.
IGH on the Yahoo site is a good starting place for understanding the basic mechanicals but the topics shift so frequently that getting an answer to a specific question can take forever..
It seems most (if not all??)of the IGH shops appear to be out on the west coast and there are simply times when even the best of us need a pro to talk us thru or take over the setup/repair etc.
For starters; I'd be happy to locate a viable IGH shop within 200 miles of Buffalo NY! (no, there isn't a shop with any experience in the modern IGH hubs in my area)
Old 10-16-13, 01:37 AM
EdZilla

Bikes: '15 Novara Gotham,'10 Specialized Roubaix, Stump FSR 29, 9zero7 Fat bike,'13 Raleigh Cadent i11 (stolen 3/2015)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
I got a Cadent i11 (Alfine 11) this summer and there was little info, experience or expertise to draw on. I'm interested in comparing notes on maintenance issues and the like.

Last edited by EdZilla; 10-16-13 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-21-13, 05:00 AM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a yahoo group Geared_hub_bike but the topics bounce from this to that to something else. At a time, one used to be able to archive the yahoo groups and locate the info they wanted. With the new 'improved' version of yahoo groups, that's lost.(which was one of the big reasons a IGH forum on bikeforums.net would be great) I have located a IGH shop up in Toronto Canada that's but a hundred miles from me and am going to take my IGH build up to them and have them give me a hands on course in adjusting and servicing as well as have them do the initial setup. There are (now)uTube videos on changing the oil in the alfine 11 hub and removal/installation of the cable as well as setting the unit up for shifting but there's no info for those 'what if' issues or problems.
Old 12-13-13, 11:38 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I support this idea.
Old 12-20-13, 04:54 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
There is a yahoo group Geared_hub_bike but the topics bounce from this to that to something else. At a time, one used to be able to archive the yahoo groups and locate the info they wanted. With the new 'improved' version of yahoo groups, that's lost.(which was one of the big reasons a IGH forum on bikeforums.net would be great) I have located a IGH shop up in Toronto Canada that's but a hundred miles from me and am going to take my IGH build up to them and have them give me a hands on course in adjusting and servicing as well as have them do the initial setup. There are (now)uTube videos on changing the oil in the alfine 11 hub and removal/installation of the cable as well as setting the unit up for shifting but there's no info for those 'what if' issues or problems.
I used to be active on the Yahoo group, but I got frustrated with the new "improved" format, so I don't bother with it much.
I agree that an IGH forum would be useful, and I would certainly participate.
Old 03-27-14, 07:58 AM
Bravin Neff

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac, 2008 Cannondale Quick 4, 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. I read that forum.
Old 03-29-14, 01:06 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Let me think about it. We'll need, of course, to develop it. Start with one of you Titsnium Members creating a group dedicated to IGH. We have Social Groups. remember. If you can generate it s ,e,bership and promote it sufficiently that I can monetize it, then I can create the forum. I'll need a target audience developed, though, because too myuch fragmentation can destroy a forum. You can get to have too many topics, and we're on that upper edge now as to topical specialization.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-04-20, 12:02 PM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Would love to hear from internal geared hub peeps

Sign me up! I'm in for it....

Co-op cty 1.3❤️
Old 02-04-20, 06:47 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but you are responding to somebody that passed away a few years ago. And the previous post was from 2013.

We miss Tom tremendously still, BF wouldn't be half of what it's become without him.