Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Expected Lifespan of a frame made out of Aluminium or Carbon Fibre or Steel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Expected Lifespan of a frame made out of Aluminium or Carbon Fibre or Steel

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 01:29 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The more confidentally someone answers this question, the less confidence I'd have in their answer.
Old 05-04-21, 10:32 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
aluminum frame

Originally Posted by MrCoffee
I recently sold a 7 year old Crosstrail that still looked like it's in new condition. I'm guessing that the frame will have about 3 more years of life, but that's probably about it. Looking at the wear on the rear tire, I'm assuming that I put roughly 2,000 miles on the frame. At one point, there was a paint chip in one of the rear stays that went down to the bare metal, and I'm sure that this was bad enough to where it could form a hairline crack, even if it is totally undetectable. So I just felt that I could no longer trust it for total reliability. And this is why I let it go at a reasonable price. I pointed this out to the buyer, but he still wanted it in spite of the fact that I would never guarantee the bike's longevity. If he gets a year out of it, then I'm sure he'll at least break even on his investment. Still, I would consider this a temporary pandemic purchase if I were him, and would be looking at something new once bikes become readily available again.
Interesting...so, you're saying this aluminum frame has 2,000 miles on it, and you don't expect it to last more than another couple years of similar mileage?

We're still putting regular miles on 1986, 1988, and 1989 ST model aluminum Cannondalels, lol. I think they might last forever, lol.

To the OP's original question, I tend to view my own steel frames as lifetime investments. I'm pretty sure my C'Dales will last as long or longer than I do, so, no different than my steel. Our other aluminum frames....less confident. They have much lighter tubing, and in comparison to our vintage C'Dales, hideous welds....and they are good welds by industry standards, just not the pristine grinding/finish that the old C'Dales featured. I check them over regularly, but I don't baby them. One I use regularly on gravel...so far, so good with a couple thousand miles on it.

Our carbon frames....I'm sure they will also last 50,000 miles, I've had and sold in the not too distant past a late 90's trek carbon frame and fork. It was well made, we put quite a few miles on it, and it still looked like new. It likely hadn't had hard use/high miles prior to our purchasing it 2nd hand, since it still had all of the original drive train which showed little wear. I'd had a competing dealership tell me that those old carbon trek's would get "soft" carbon spots, that I should test regularly. I never noticed anything of the sort though.
Old 05-04-21, 10:31 PM
MrCoffee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Interesting...so, you're saying this aluminum frame has 2,000 miles on it, and you don't expect it to last more than another couple years of similar mileage?

We're still putting regular miles on 1986, 1988, and 1989 ST model aluminum Cannondalels, lol. I think they might last forever, lol.

To the OP's original question, I tend to view my own steel frames as lifetime investments. I'm pretty sure my C'Dales will last as long or longer than I do, so, no different than my steel. Our other aluminum frames....less confident. They have much lighter tubing, and in comparison to our vintage C'Dales, hideous welds....and they are good welds by industry standards, just not the pristine grinding/finish that the old C'Dales featured. I check them over regularly, but I don't baby them. One I use regularly on gravel...so far, so good with a couple thousand miles on it.

Our carbon frames....I'm sure they will also last 50,000 miles, I've had and sold in the not too distant past a late 90's trek carbon frame and fork. It was well made, we put quite a few miles on it, and it still looked like new. It likely hadn't had hard use/high miles prior to our purchasing it 2nd hand, since it still had all of the original drive train which showed little wear. I'd had a competing dealership tell me that those old carbon trek's would get "soft" carbon spots, that I should test regularly. I never noticed anything of the sort though.
If the bike I sold didn't have that chip and possible hairline crack on the rear-left seat stay, I would have sold it for twice what I got. Point is, the frame was compromised yet still useful for the time being. Aluminum does not bend like steel, so it is considerably more susceptible to fatigue. And besides, it was definitely not a vintage U.S. made Cannondale. But rather, the frame was made for Specialized by a contractor in China. The Crosstrail was also recently discontinued by Specialized, and is no longer available and may also soon become obsolete. It's definitely not a classic like a '57 Chevy or campy equipped '83 De Rosa. Or even a vintage Trek, for that matter. And besides, I am better served with the e-bike that replaces it.

Mrrabbit mentioned about titanium frames. The Lightspeed brand comes to mind, and they were available in the late 1990's for $2,700.00 fully equipped. Not cheap by any means, but they were made with precision and beautiful welds. I would have a Lightspeed today, if I had the funds back then. I am sure there are many Lightspeeds out there, having changed hands several times. And some of them may be passed down through several generations.
Old 05-05-21, 01:27 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Interesting...so, you're saying this aluminum frame has 2,000 miles on it, and you don't expect it to last more than another couple years of similar mileage?.
Yes, didn’t you know that? Aluminum bikes are ticking time bombs. Once the paint gets chipped, it’s only a matter of time before it snaps!

Thats why you don’t see any 50 year old bikes that aren’t made from pure, eternal steel.

(Besides the point that there were very, very few aluminum bikes made at all 50 years ago)

I have, among my regular rides, an aluminum-framed 1976 Bridgestone Super Light, a Headshok equipped 1996 Cannondale F-1000, and a 1997 SoftRide with a carbon beam.
According to the prevailing wisdom of this thread, there is so much destructive potential in my garage, that if there is an incident; you’ll be able to see it from space.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-05-21, 12:01 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
MrCoffee Litespeeds are beautiful but I have seen about half as many broken as I have seen on the road. I suspect many were made to emphasize light weight rather than robustness. Perhaps many people believed the misinformation about 'forever frames' 'fatigue limits' and assumed their bikes could handle more abuse than they should have.

It's not the material but the way the frame is designed and made, and the way it is used, that determines longevity.
Likes For ClydeClydeson: