Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 11:03 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
There's a S/M size Nishiki Alien for sale locally; https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...311458410.html
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 04-27-21, 01:27 PM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by brightsideofit
A while back I saw a mint condition Mean Streak in 22” frame. Wish I paid what he was asking even if it was overpriced. I believe the Ridge Runner became the Mean Streak after being sued by Miyata, who already had a Ridge Runner.
If I'm not mistaken, the 82 DB Ridge Runner was the second production Mt Bike after the 81 Stumpjumper, & as such, predated the Miyata Ridge Runner. I think Diamond Back produced both the Mean Streak & the Ridge Runner in a couple of years, maybe 83 & 84. In 84 the Ridge Runner evolved into the Ridge Runner II; it no longer had a lugged frame, but it came w/ a cool bi-plane fork. My 83 has a slightly different fork & it's fully lugged. (neither of these bikes are mine, they are web pics) I have seen photos of fully lugged Mean Streaks...maybe 1983. There is a Ridge Runner II on epay right now w/ an asking price of $600. Looks to be in great condition. Will be interesting to see if it sits or sells. If interested, here's the epay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124687169629

Last edited by OutnBack; 04-27-21 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For OutnBack:
Old 04-27-21, 02:09 PM
brightsideofit 

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OutnBack
If I'm not mistaken, the 82 DB Ridge Runner was the second production Mt Bike after the 81 Stumpjumper, & as such, predated the Miyata Ridge Runner. And if I'm not mistaken, Diamond Back produced both the Mean Streak & the Ridge Runner in a couple of years, maybe 83 & 84. In 84 the Ridge Runner evolved into the Ridge Runner II; it no longer had a lugged frame, but it came w/ a cool bi-plane fork. My 83 has a slightly different fork & it's fully lugged. (neither of these bikes are mine, they are web pics) I have seen photos of fully lugged Mean Streaks...maybe 1983. There is a Ridge Runner II on epay right now w/ an asking price of $600. Looks to be in great condition. Will be interesting to see if it sits or sells. If interested, here's the epay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124687169629

Good to know. I think the ornate lugs are one of main reasons I like the RR and Mean Streak. Gorgeous bikes.
Old 04-27-21, 02:17 PM
Chach0

Bikes: 1983 Diamond Back Viper - 1986 Diamond Back Ascent - 1998 Diamondback Outlook DX - Diamondback Willwood Comfort

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the 82 DB Ridge Runner was the second production Mt Bike after the 81 Stumpjumper, & as such, predated the Miyata Ridge Runner. And if I'm not mistaken, Diamond Back produced both the Mean Streak & the Ridge Runner in a couple of years, maybe 83 & 84. In 84 the Ridge Runner evolved into the Ridge Runner II; it no longer had a lugged frame, but it came w/ a cool bi-plane fork. My 83 has a slightly different fork & it's fully lugged. (neither of these bikes are mine, they are web pics) I have seen photos of fully lugged Mean Streaks...maybe 1983. There is a Ridge Runner II on epay right now w/ an asking price of $600. Looks to be in great condition. Will be interesting to see if it sits or sells. If interested, here's the epay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124687169629

On top of the one you mentioned on EBAY, there's another selling for $1,000 ! ! ! ! ! ! !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144006721441
Old 04-27-21, 02:34 PM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Originally Posted by Chach0
On top of the one you mentioned on EBAY, there's another selling for $1,000 ! ! ! ! ! ! !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144006721441
Very similar, but mine has mid-fork rack mounts & rear rack mounts. I believe the epay one you referenced is slightly newer, and like mine, this Ridge Runner still has the rear dropout limit screws.

Last edited by OutnBack; 04-28-21 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 02:53 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Speaking of Diamondback...

I've just picked up what I think is an early `90s Diamondback Apex. This build is gonna be a simple one: just a geared, urban BMX style with wide slicks and a comfy cockpit.

But I need some help. I don't know what year this bike is, and extensive web searches turn up nothing. So here are the clues: A rigid bike with a metallic-matte purple paint job, threadless headset, and a Deore LX drivetrain.

I'll post photos as soon as it quits raining here. But do any of you know when this bike was built?

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 04-27-21, 04:21 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
I've just picked up what I think is an early `90s Diamondback Apex. This build is gonna be a simple one: just a geared, urban BMX style with wide slicks and a comfy cockpit.

But I need some help. I don't know what year this bike is, and extensive web searches turn up nothing. So here are the clues: A rigid bike with a metallic-matte purple paint job, threadless headset, and a Deore LX drivetrain.

I'll post photos as soon as it quits raining here. But do any of you know when this bike was built?
Without pictures the LX parts will be the easiest way to date it. 7spd would put it before a certain date, 8spd would put it later in the '90s. If it's late enough to have rapid fire shifters they changed almost every year and make it pretty easy to guess, assuming original parts.
Old 04-27-21, 06:12 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Without pictures the LX parts will be the easiest way to date it. 7spd would put it before a certain date, 8spd would put it later in the '90s. If it's late enough to have rapid fire shifters they changed almost every year and make it pretty easy to guess, assuming original parts.
Yup, @DQRider pics are needed. Frame serial number or date codes on the parts if they are original would be helpful too. Date of Manufacture of Bicycle Components can be used to date a bike: component dating
Old 04-28-21, 01:51 AM
WimVDD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Nice!
That's a bike I don't think made it to North America. Was the original equipment Campagnolo Euclid?
Brent
Thanks, Brent!

That's correct, originally it came wit Euclid but as I had these parts in the spares box (and didn't want to spend a fortune...), I went for an XT/Ritchey build (as the Mi90 Carbon was equipped with back in 1991). The frames were built in Canada but I don't know if the bikes were sold in the US.

Wim
Old 04-28-21, 03:01 AM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
Commuter build

'85 Schwinn Cimarron. 1x7 with Suntour 3 pulley Lepree RD. Custom paint. Selle Italia Invincible leather saddle.
Likes For th3realmckay:
Old 04-28-21, 07:00 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Originally Posted by tricky
Yup, @DQRider pics are needed. Frame serial number or date codes on the parts if they are original would be helpful too. Date of Manufacture of Bicycle Components can be used to date a bike: component dating
Looks like today is going to be dry here, so I'll snap some pics after work. @tricky, thanks for the link! I wasn't aware of that site. I mean, it's "Vintage Trek", so it won't be much help for my DB, but I have several Treks hanging around my place.

(edit) Oh, I see. You were referring to component dating. Yeah, that could be helpful. Thanks again!

Last edited by DQRider; 04-28-21 at 07:07 AM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 04-28-21, 09:43 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by th3realmckay

'85 Schwinn Cimarron. 1x7 with Suntour 3 pulley Lepree RD. Custom paint. Selle Italia Invincible leather saddle.
This looks soooo slack and laid-back. Love the Billy Bonkers too.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 04-28-21, 12:42 PM
Chach0

Bikes: 1983 Diamond Back Viper - 1986 Diamond Back Ascent - 1998 Diamondback Outlook DX - Diamondback Willwood Comfort

Big brother / little brother.... '83 Viper & '86 Ascent
Likes For Chach0:
Old 04-29-21, 05:08 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts

Alan Oversize Carbonio, about 1990.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 04-29-21, 02:38 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
There's a S/M size Nishiki Alien for sale locally; https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...311458410.html
I rode one of these for years until I ran it into the garage on my roof rack in 2001 or so, ovalizing the head tube and bending the forks. Stiffest frame I've ever ridden! Love those Alien E-stay frames, but the steel versions were really flexy. Had a '90 Pinnacle (same frame as the Alien but built with Suntour XC Comp groupset) that I foolishly sold on ebay many many years ago.
Old 04-30-21, 12:34 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 229 Posts
A couple of "Raleighs in Canada" came my way today. A good friend had the unfortunate task of cleaning up a family property. Not wanting to see these two scrapped he brought them over. One is a made in Canada 1986 Raleigh Matterhorn and the other is a Raleigh Bighorn from 1985. The Bighorn is complete and has a 22" frame. The Matterhorn is a mishmash of parts and a 23" frame. I do like these old ATBs and have lots of spares parts around. Both have the bullmoose style bars. I put some air in the IRC CTB Super-9, 2.125" tires on the black Bighorn and took it for a short ride. It actually rode quite nicely. A complete rebuild is required but all the original parts are there. The red Matterhorn is rough and missing its original back wheel but the frame is solid and straight. Canadian Raleighs (ser# Rx(last digit of year)xxxx) had completely different models and options compared to US catalogs.

Bighorn

Sun Tour equipped

Matterhorn.

Made in Canada

Unique brakes.
Old 04-30-21, 05:20 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Those brakes are cheap copies of rollercams. I believe they call them scissor brakes. Lee Chi made some.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-30-21, 09:35 PM
brightsideofit 

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by twa

Still riding my Trek 850 purchased in '85 from MDR Bikes in Southern California. Used for fire roading, then commuting, now back to fire roads and casual city riding.
That's an awesome bike. How does it ride?
Old 05-11-21, 08:58 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
And not having QR levers, we were lacking a 15mm wrench to remove the rear wheel. Gugie, being both more resourceful and social, was able to flag down a farmer's wife with an adjustable wrench, thereby saving the day.
fify!

I was hoping you'd fix that flat quickly before the farmer's wife's husband returned. He did, and I had to shift to a discussion about current filbert and grass seed prices before he'd pull out his shotgun from the back of the pickup.

@Spaghetti Legs, @nlerner, and @Andy_K will tell you it's a skill I acquired from growing up redneck.
Old 05-11-21, 09:10 PM
OutnBack

Another 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner came my way. In as found condition:

Old 05-12-21, 04:27 AM
Chach0

Geeze the luck!!! Great find!!
Old 05-12-21, 11:13 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
And not having QR levers, we were lacking a 15mm wrench to remove the rear wheel. Gugie, being both more resourceful and social, was able to flag down a farmer with an adjustable wrench, thereby saving the day.
Originally Posted by gugie
"And not having QR levers, we were lacking a 15mm wrench to remove the rear wheel. Gugie, being both more resourceful and social, was able to flag down a farmer's wife with an adjustable wrench, thereby saving the day."

fify!
Not to be the gender equality police or anything, but I'm pretty sure she was both a farmer and a farmer's wife. I don't think it's possible to be the latter without also being the former. Of course, I realize the "correction" was necessary to set up your remark (certainly not a "story" by your standards) about the husband coming home before the flat was fixed. I also want to observe that you were swooning over the quality of the soil all day, not just when you had to make conversation with the farmers. That, also, is a sign of your rural background.
Old 05-12-21, 11:35 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Not to be the gender equality police or anything, but I'm pretty sure she was both a farmer and a farmer's wife. I don't think it's possible to be the latter without also being the former. Of course, I realize the "correction" was necessary to set up your remark (certainly not a "story" by your standards) about the husband coming home before the flat was fixed. I also want to observe that you were swooning over the quality of the soil all day, not just when you had to make conversation with the farmers. That, also, is a sign of your rural background.
As my Publicist, I understand your need to respin my tales into something resembling the truth, but one of the Core Values of Gugificazione is "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". For example, note that a few years ago I made @SquireBlack a professor of electrical engineering as it fit the narrative of figuring out the complexities of an RV awning system when he's clearly a professor of computer science. Since no software grokking was required that day, it made more sense for him to be an honorary EE expert. Also note that calling the woman a farmer's wife resembles the farmer's daughter tale to insinuate that there was some danger involved in talking to her.

Viewing freshly tilled soil is blissful when you come from a long line of Swiss-Italian dairymen...
Old 05-12-21, 11:49 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

C'mon now! That's like saying, "I rode another winged unicorn to work this morning."

This bike was unknown to me until you introduced it to this forum. I have always lusted after the Miyata Ridge Runner in the early, lugged fork configuration, and that is still near the top of my Grail List. But now this one comes along, with those awesome ornate lugs and crazy bullmoose handlebar... Straight to the top of the list!
Thanks for that, OutnBack. This is going to be expensive, I fear.

Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-12-21, 09:39 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
This counts right?
Attached Images
Likes For antmaster5000:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.