Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

9 speed to 11?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

9 speed to 11?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 09:07 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
9 speed to 11?

What do I need to measure to see if I can change my 9 speed Quick to an 11 speed? Fully understand that the shifters and rear D and probably the front D will need to be replaced along with the rear cogs. Thanks in advance.
Frank.
Old 11-09-20, 09:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I'm pretty sure your Quick has a MTB 8/9/10 freehub, and I think 11-speed cassettes ARE compatible with the MTB freehub, so you would not need a new wheel or freehub body. If you're keeping a front derailleur and putting on a wide ratio 11-speed cassette, watch the total chain wrap in your system -- you'll very likely need the longest derailleur cage you can find. Probably on a MTB derailleur (like the new Deore RD-M5120).
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 11-09-20, 04:41 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm pretty sure your Quick has a MTB 8/9/10 freehub, and I think 11-speed cassettes ARE compatible with the MTB freehub, so you would not need a new wheel or freehub body. If you're keeping a front derailleur and putting on a wide ratio 11-speed cassette, watch the total chain wrap in your system -- you'll very likely need the longest derailleur cage you can find. Probably on a MTB derailleur (like the new Deore RD-M5120).
Thank you for your response. Obviously I will need to swap out the shifter also and rear D.
Frank.
Old 11-09-20, 04:56 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
WHY?? It sure won't make anything faster or easier.
I rode my SA 5w all this summer. I rather like not needing to shift every 2 fricking mph, especially going into a breeze.
My direct middle gear just zooms me along from 13 to 18 mph. My natural cadence almost always inches the speed up to the high end of the range.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-17-20 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 11-09-20, 06:06 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
What do I need to measure to see if I can change my 9 speed Quick to an 11 speed? Fully understand that the shifters and rear D and probably the front D will need to be replaced along with the rear cogs. Thanks in advance.
Frank.
You'll need a new chain as well, but probably can keep the front derailleur and front shifter if you don't mind mismatched shifters.

11sp cassettes fit on 10 sp freehubs if the large tooth is <34t. This means, an MTB cassette or this Ultegra model.

So at a bare minimum: rear shifter, rear derailleur, chain, cassette.

But not worth it IMO. I have 7,8,9,10,11.....It doesn't really matter much....
Likes For DorkDisk: