Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lyotard Berthet spindle compatibility

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-21, 07:39 AM
vlaint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. Just bought a 9/16 model 23 pedals but the seller sent me a 1/2 instead. Since I'm from the opposite side of the globe from him I just opted instead for a partial refund. Anyway. From searching around, the spindle of 45ca will work according to others. Problem is the price on ebay is more than $100. I'm looking for tried alternatives if you guys know any.
Old 06-15-21, 09:31 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked 3,343 Times in 2,181 Posts
-----

hello vlaint and welcome to the forum!

have no idea as to conditions in the archipelago

if you have access to one, a great resource would be a bicycle co-op charity

they always have one or more bins for broken and/or unmated pedals

at such a venue an enthusiast can find a spindle for next to no cost

another possibility might be that someone such as ELDI may make a helicoil to mount a 1/2" spindle in a 9/16" crank arm

you could also post a wanted notice in the C&V for sale/trade section here at the forum; a member may have a dead or unmated Berthet, or 45CA, which could help you out for a whole lot less than $100

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-15-21 at 09:33 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-15-21, 09:42 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by vlaint
Hi. Just bought a 9/16 model 23 pedals but the seller sent me a 1/2 instead. Since I'm from the opposite side of the globe from him I just opted instead for a partial refund. Anyway. From searching around, the spindle of 45ca will work according to others. Problem is the price on ebay is more than $100. I'm looking for tried alternatives if you guys know any.
Pedal adaptors, $20 a pair on that auction site.
Old 06-15-21, 09:43 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,385 Times in 3,670 Posts
There are adapters on efbay, look up pedal adapters. I use them on most of my bikes for a bad, crooked ankle.
Old 06-17-21, 10:09 AM
vlaint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately my LBS here don't really have spare vintage parts on the side as the market for those seems low. I also don't have access to a machine shop or know any locally, just my ignorance maybe lol. I'll try looking for adapters. I didn't know there were adapters for different sizes. I would assume it would offset the pedal to the side a bit? I'm concerned since I'll use it on a 70's roadbike that I converted to a fixie.
Old 06-17-21, 12:14 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you're looking for these?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284178942556

$20, shipped
Old 06-19-21, 01:59 AM
vlaint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
If I understand you correctly, you're looking for these?:

$20, shipped
I am looking for spindles that would work as replacement for the Berthets. I saw that listing before but I noticed that the spindles looked longer and of a different shape than the Berthets so I didn't want to risk spending $20 more if it wasn't proven 100% that it would work.
Old 06-19-21, 05:04 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I am looking for spindles that would work as replacement for the Berthets. I saw that listing before but I noticed that the spindles looked longer and of a different shape than the Berthets so I didn't want to risk spending $20 more if it wasn't proven 100% that it would work.
Right, it would be nice if the seller was clear what model the spindles came from. As I recall, there are Lyotard spindles that are interchangeable on a couple of models, but can't recall which ones work for the Berthet pedals. I ran into the same issue a few years back: had Berthets that were French-threaded, needed 9/16". Someone here suggested swapping the spindles with the ones off of the cheaper model 45, I believe.

Ultimately, I ended up going another route, and sold my French-threaded Berthets for a much lighter MKS pedal (the Berthets are steel). The MKS platform pedals are very nice, btw.

Last edited by johnnyace; 06-19-21 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-19-21, 09:30 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
As I recall, there are Lyotard spindles that are interchangeable on a couple of models, but can't recall which ones work for the Berthet pedals. I ran into the same issue a few years back: had Berthets that were French-threaded, needed 9/16". Someone here suggested swapping the spindles with the ones off of the cheaper model 45, I believe.
I can verify that mod. 45 and mod. 23 pedal spindles are interchangeable.

Ultimately, I ended up going another route, and sold my French-threaded Berthets for a much lighter MKS pedal (the Berthets are steel). The MKS platform pedals are very nice, btw.
The MKS Urban Platform pedal is very nice, but the deal-breaker for me is that, unlike the Berthet pedal, the Urban Platform does not accommodate slotted cleats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
02.jpg (101.0 KB, 45 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-20-21, 10:33 PM
vlaint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I can verify that mod. 45 and mod. 23 pedal spindles are interchangeable.

The MKS Urban Platform pedal is very nice, but the deal-breaker for me is that, unlike the Berthet pedal, the Urban Platform does not accommodate slotted cleats.
It would seem that only the model 45 is compatible. Problem is its very expensive in ebay right now. I guess my only choice is to buy a cheaper worn down berthet and use the spindle or buy those adapter thingy. Any way, thank you for all your inputs
Old 06-21-21, 02:55 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
It would seem that only the model 45 is compatible. Problem is its very expensive in ebay right now. I guess my only choice is to buy a cheaper worn down berthet and use the spindle or buy those adapter thingy. Any way, thank you for all your inputs
Don't pull a trigger yet. I have a two pair of Berthets to refurbish (no you can't have them) but also an unbranded junk quill pedal with an axle that looks to be about the same length. Today I'll see if the junk pedals axle fits the 23.
Old 06-22-21, 01:00 AM
vlaint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Don't pull a trigger yet. I have a two pair of Berthets to refurbish (no you can't have them) but also an unbranded junk quill pedal with an axle that looks to be about the same length. Today I'll see if the junk pedals axle fits the 23.
Do let me know how it works out. I'm currently eyeing a $40 used berthet seeing that its only $20 more than those 1/2 to 9/16 adapters.