Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Question About Wahoo Kickr Trainer

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 09:24 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

This is a question about the WAHOO KICKER SNAP

The online picture of this trainer shows a lever lock at the back wheel drive side - does anyone know if it works like a quick release skewer in the sense that more tension can be achieved by turning the lever and then folding it down ?

Last edited by blinky; 09-24-23 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-24-23, 09:57 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
It is a QR skewer on the Snap, a heavy duty one that comes with the trainer. This is a good wheel-on trainer, but I do recommend doing the 30 second calibration before riding Zwift or similar.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 09-24-23, 10:35 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
It is a QR skewer on the Snap, a heavy duty one that comes with the trainer. This is a good wheel-on trainer, but I do recommend doing the 30 second calibration before riding Zwift or similar.
Thanks again - I just want to completely understand before going ahead with a purchase - does it replace the bike's skewer or does it get placed over the bike's skewer ?
Old 09-24-23, 11:39 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Replaces the original skewer.
Old 09-24-23, 11:50 AM
blinky

I watched a video presented by a Zwift rep - he used the wheel skewer that comes with the Wahoo Kickr Snap trainer with it's quick release lever on the non-drive side - this side of the trainer has an adjustment wheel that enables you to make closing the lever on the drive side as hard as necessary to make certain the fit is very tight - which gives me peace of mind that upon dismount my bike won't disengage from the trainer - for extra safety I might run a rope around the seat post to a pair of eye bolt anchors .

My fall shook me up and I'm just trying to think of ways to reduce the risk - the drive side locking mechanism on the Saris trainer was not very good .

Last edited by blinky; 10-02-23 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-26-23, 03:36 PM
Jjbailey930

Bikes: Trek Domane, Felt Z85, CAAD 7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
I've had this trainer for 3 years. Bought it used and seller gave me extra through hub skewers for different sized. I am about 200lb and never had any stability issues with 4K miles on it with couple of different bikes. Definitely assure the skewer is tight and the tension of the levered holder is secure. Did you also get the front wheel block? This helps keep the bike level and will put you higher so it may feel a little unstable to you.
Old 09-26-23, 04:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,924 Times in 6,105 Posts
If I'm reading you right, you're talking about the big lever on the righthand side. The tension adjustment for that is on the LEFT side. You can decrease or increase the clamping force by turning the knurled cylinder, and then lock it with the lock ring. If you're using it with a bike with QR hubs, you'll need to replace the QR skewer on your rear wheel with the one from Wahoo, which is shaped to fit the receivers on either side of the clamp.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-02-23, 01:40 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by genejockey
If I'm reading you right, you're talking about the big lever on the righthand side. The tension adjustment for that is on the LEFT side. You can decrease or increase the clamping force by turning the knurled cylinder, and then lock it with the lock ring. If you're using it with a bike with QR hubs, you'll need to replace the QR skewer on your rear wheel with the one from Wahoo, which is shaped to fit the receivers on either side of the clamp.
Yes you're reading me right - yes , the clamping force of that big lever can be varied by adjusting that wheel on the non-drive side - the rear wheel may not be positioned at the center of the resistance drum but I'd go with grip over position.

Thanks everyone for your time and responses !!