Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Aerobikes worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Aerobikes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 02:01 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I would like to read data on this, do you have some? I am curious since I feel slower on my Aerorace bike as compared to my climbing bike. Both are equally equipped, but the Aerorace one is roughly 1.25lbs heavier. As an example, I did one of my favorite ride around where I live twice last week with my 2 bikes and with sufficient rest between both rides.

Distance : 80.20km (49.9mi)
Total elevation: 778m (2552ft)
Direction : North all the way up, then South all the way back.

2021 Giant TCR Pro 0 with 42mm wheels (7.5kg)
Power: 212w (measured with a Giant Power Pro PM)
Average speed: 30.4kph (18.9mph)
Wind: 12.9kph (8.06 mph) NNW

2023 Giant Propel Pro 0 with 50mm wheels (8.07kg)
Power: 202w (measured with a Giant Power Halo PM)
Average speed: 29.8kph (18.5mph)
Wind: 19.8kph (12.37mph) ENE

I had a headwind going up on the first ride and a backwind going down, most of the time
I had a side wind going up and down on the 2nd ride, most of the time

Are there any stats geek on this forum that could help me figure out how to compare apples with apples here?
Best Bike Splits simulation software will show you the effects of weight, aero, power and wind over your specific course. It’s a subscription model, but not very expensive and quite useful for this kind of comparison. You can create and calibrate a model of both your bikes and it can take historic weather data from specific dates. It’s quite easy to use and reasonably accurate once you get the rollling resistance and aero drag calibrated for each bike. It’s even easier to do a relative comparison eg the effect of a 1.25 lb weight saving or a nominal percentage reduction in drag or rolling resistance.
Old 06-22-23, 08:42 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I have both and I think it really depends on the type of riding. My Scott Foil came oddly configured from Scott, still dealing with that. But it's fast, weirdly quiet, pretty comfortable vs what I was expecting. It's also pretty stiff when really giving it the beans. It also puts me in a pretty aggressive position. So for anything longer than about 50 miles I've been going for my new supersix Evo. I think on shorter rides really giving it hell the Scott is faster, but the new Supersix is mind blowingly fast. I've been absolutely stunned at how good that bike is. Doesn't hurt that Cannondale actually seems to care about customer service unlike the folks at Scott.
Old 06-23-23, 03:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
I have both and I think it really depends on the type of riding. My Scott Foil came oddly configured from Scott, still dealing with that. But it's fast, weirdly quiet, pretty comfortable vs what I was expecting. It's also pretty stiff when really giving it the beans. It also puts me in a pretty aggressive position. So for anything longer than about 50 miles I've been going for my new supersix Evo. I think on shorter rides really giving it hell the Scott is faster, but the new Supersix is mind blowingly fast. I've been absolutely stunned at how good that bike is. Doesn't hurt that Cannondale actually seems to care about customer service unlike the folks at Scott.
I have a 2019 CAAD 12 and that bike is amazingly good. I love it.
Old 06-23-23, 03:16 AM
PeteHski

I find that subjective perception of speed on a bicycle is hard to judge, at least on the same basic genre of bike. Variations in ambient conditions far outweigh relatively subtle differences in aero or weight for me. So I just trust the physics on those. Handling and ride quality are the only things I judge subjectively.
Old 06-23-23, 03:20 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I find that subjective perception of speed on a bicycle is hard to judge, at least on the same basic genre of bike. Variations in ambient conditions far outweigh relatively subtle differences in aero or weight for me. So I just trust the physics on those. Handling and ride quality are the only things I judge subjectively.
This is exactly right. I've done lots of comparison and mathematical correction on various rides (yes I'm a nerd, but I have always enjoyed numbers and my day job entails a lot of detailed work so it trickles into my hobbies as well).

Getting rid of my Roubaix for a true road bike made a difference. But my Roubaix was surprisingly fast for an endurance bike. The differences on top tier bikes are fairly subtle but not unnoticeable. I wouldn't choose a bike just on speed, the SystemSix for example is really fast, but those few watts at regular rider speeds come with a lot of stiffness and on poor roads/longer rides I'll take a little more comfort.
Old 06-23-23, 03:43 PM
PeteHski

I wouldn't choose a bike just on speed, the SystemSix for example is really fast, but those few watts at regular rider speeds come with a lot of stiffness and on poor roads/longer rides I'll take a little more comfort.
That’s why I choose to ride endurance road bikes. My Canyon Endurace can hold it’s own on fast group rides and makes century rides on mixed quality roads less fatiguing. My wheels are still reasonably aero too. If I was younger and our roads were smoother I might be tempted to ride an Aeroad instead.
Old 06-24-23, 07:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I have a 2016 Venge Expert and a 2022 TCR Advanced Pro. The Venge was an elite team bike that I purchased at cost at the end of the season, and the TCR I built last year to replace my 2013 Advanced SL ISP that I loved. The Venge is rim brake and 11s mechanical, while the TCR Is Di2 12 speed and disc. Both bikes have carbon wheels with latex tubes and speedy tires, although the rims on the Venge are a bit deeper.

The Venge is the heavier, but faster bike of the two. I use it in all racing events (and race-y group rides) except road races with appreciable climbs in them. The TCR is my daily driver and climbing bike.

I much, much prefer to ride the TCR. It's marginally slower, but it just handles and rides so much better. It is a very easy bike to ride. The Venge rides like crap, but does what I need it to. My wife and I have a little one on the way (due September), so my training and racing will be pretty limited for a season or two. I imagine that the Venge will end up collecting dust in the garage during that time.
Old 06-25-23, 06:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I would like to read data on this, do you have some? I am curious since I feel slower on my Aerorace bike as compared to my climbing bike. Both are equally equipped, but the Aerorace one is roughly 1.25lbs heavier. As an example, I did one of my favorite ride around where I live twice last week with my 2 bikes and with sufficient rest between both rides.

Distance : 80.20km (49.9mi)
Total elevation: 778m (2552ft)
Direction : North all the way up, then South all the way back.

2021 Giant TCR Pro 0 with 42mm wheels (7.5kg)
Power: 212w (measured with a Giant Power Pro PM)
Average speed: 30.4kph (18.9mph)
Wind: 12.9kph (8.06 mph) NNW

2023 Giant Propel Pro 0 with 50mm wheels (8.07kg)
Power: 202w (measured with a Giant Power Halo PM)
Average speed: 29.8kph (18.5mph)
Wind: 19.8kph (12.37mph) ENE

I had a headwind going up on the first ride and a backwind going down, most of the time
I had a side wind going up and down on the 2nd ride, most of the time

Are there any stats geek on this forum that could help me figure out how to compare apples with apples here?
My detailed analysis follows:
You put in 10 watts average less power on the aero bike and this is why you felt slower.
Old 06-25-23, 06:32 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You put in 10 watts average less power on the aero bike and this is why you felt slower.
….and it was more windy.
Old 06-25-23, 10:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I used to ride a 25 mi route to test my bikes against each other. I'd ride at much the same time of day, which around here means very similar temperature and winds. I'd go for similar RPE ( with multiple bikes I can't afford multiple power meters). The fastest was 4 minutes better than the slowest, about 0.9mph faster on average. This has held up in multiple rides since - the fastest bike keeps turning in the fastest times. But also, the bikes that are fastest have the greatest feeling of "effortless speed".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-25-23, 03:17 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I used to ride a 25 mi route to test my bikes against each other. I'd ride at much the same time of day, which around here means very similar temperature and winds. I'd go for similar RPE ( with multiple bikes I can't afford multiple power meters). The fastest was 4 minutes better than the slowest, about 0.9mph faster on average. This has held up in multiple rides since - the fastest bike keeps turning in the fastest times. But also, the bikes that are fastest have the greatest feeling of "effortless speed".
I am curious. Which of your bikes was the fastest for you for that route?
Old 06-25-23, 04:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by spinconn
I am curious. Which of your bikes was the fastest for you for that route?
Canyon Endurace, followed by a tie between the Battaglin and the Bianchi.

Old 06-26-23, 05:46 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
That is, if there really was 10w less in average. 2 different PMs were used to measure my power.
Old 06-26-23, 08:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That is, if there really was 10w less in average. 2 different PMs were used to measure my power.
Too many confounding variables. You need to find a statistician to design a assay matrix that tests all the variables. And ride each bike on the same route at least a dozen times at the same power. And swap power meters at least once. And wear the same clothes each time.

Old 06-26-23, 10:28 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Too many confounding variables. You need to find a statistician to design a assay matrix that tests all the variables. And ride each bike on the same route at least a dozen times at the same power. And swap power meters at least once. And wear the same clothes each time.
No you don't.
Likes For RChung:
Old 06-26-23, 11:09 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by RChung
No you don't.
See first line of signature, below.

Old 06-26-23, 11:29 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Yeah, too complicated for nothing. I'll ride the bike I like the most regardless of if it's faster or not. I think every cyclists, unless they do that for a living, can agree that quality time spent on the bike is importantER than the average speed as end result.
Old 06-26-23, 11:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, too complicated for nothing. I'll ride the bike I like the most regardless of if it's faster or not. I think every cyclists, unless they do that for a living, can agree that quality time spent on the bike is importantER than the average speed as end result.
When I did my test, it was for fun. I like riding each of my bikes, and somebody pointed out that my 25 mile route was kinda like a 40km TT route, so I tabulated the best times for grins. And of course, since it was all RPE, not even remotely rigorous.

Old 06-26-23, 01:01 PM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Getting rid of my Roubaix for a true road bike made a difference. But my Roubaix was surprisingly fast for an endurance bike.
What year was your Roubaix? I have a 2021 Roubaix Expert that is super comfy (and pretty fast), but I bought it when I was ~35lbs heavier and my FTP was lower 🤣 I can ride for long periods in the drops and now feel limited to where I can't get the bars any lower because of the high stack.

Sorry but I must have missed what you replaced the Roubaix with. What are you riding now and how different is the fit?

Thanks!!
Old 06-28-23, 02:53 PM
bruce19

My Canyon Aeroad was delivered yesterday. Set it up and went out for a ride today. I rode my 12 mi TT route. About 650 ft of elevation. Impressions: it fit like it was built for me. The Selle Italia snub nose saddle was excellent. The 41 cm bar width was perfect. There were double digit winds today so crosswinds were a staple of the ride. You could definitely feel them in the front wheel but it wasn't a big deal. The bike spun up nicely and the handling was supple. What totally surprised me was the comfort. Incredibly comfortable and just a joy to ride.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-28-23, 03:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
My Canyon Aeroad was delivered yesterday. Set it up and went out for a ride today. I rode my 12 mi TT route. About 650 ft of elevation. Impressions: it fit like it was built for me. The Selle Italia snub nose saddle was excellent. The 41 cm bar width was perfect. There were double digit winds today so crosswinds were a staple of the ride. You could definitely feel them in the front wheel but it wasn't a big deal. The bike spun up nicely and the handling was supple. What totally surprised me was the comfort. Incredibly comfortable and just a joy to ride.
Congratulations!

This thread is now more fun than such threads usually turn out to be.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-28-23, 11:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,653 Times in 2,925 Posts
What I enjoy with my aero-bikes and rims, is that I can run the same speeds on the flats as I did in my 30s and 40s without killing myself. Sure the climbs are slower, but the descents and flats make up for it.

Glad you are enjoying your new ride. Pictures?

Old 06-28-23, 11:41 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Good to hear. Post up a pic.
Old 06-29-23, 08:01 AM
bruce19

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...rahmenfarbe=GY
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-29-23, 08:04 AM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
That's alot of bike for $4k 😎😎😎 Enjoy it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.