Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help! Which is better?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help! Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-23, 07:07 PM
rcracoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help! Which is better?

Hi all, completely new here but I'm greatly in need of some bike advice and this seems like a great place to try. I've been looking for a new bike for a while and have come to two that I'm stuck on now. I'll try and include all the specs and parts that I can. Would really appreciate any advice, info, or opinions y'all have on these.

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
  • SRAM Force Axs(eTap) 2x12
  • Disc brakes
  • Built in power meter
  • Wheels: Reynolds AR 41 setup tubeless
  • Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL
  • Selle Italia SLR saddle
  • approximately 15-17lbs
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod
  • Shimano Dura Ace Di2 2x11
  • Dura Ace Brakes
  • Cannondale Hollowgram SL Crankset
  • Carbon ENVE Seatpost
  • Bontrager XXX Carbon Handlebar
  • FSA Carbon Stem
  • Mavic Ultralight Ksyrium SLR climbing wheelset
  • Excludes bottle cages and pedal
  • approximately 13.9lbs
Both bikes are priced exactly the same so that's not a factor, and I will fit comfortably on both as well, its really coming down to the components and frames. Just not sure how much of a difference they all add up to. Thanks in advance and sorry if this isnt the right place for this post!

​​​​​​​
Old 07-05-23, 10:18 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
No question, buy the Canyon with modern disc brakes, tubeless tires and wireless 12 speed.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-05-23, 10:44 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Are you a Shimano person or a SRAM person?
Old 07-05-23, 12:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
The bikes are comparable geometry. So if you want a fairly aggressive position then you should be good on either one.

Once you decide on whether you wan't SRAM or Shimano, then which bike calls to you and say's "ride me"?

They are both the same size aren't they? Otherwise your stack height and reach will vary between the two quite a bit and one might require a stem change or other stuff to fit you perfectly. Fewer pounds can make some hills seem to disappear.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-05-23, 01:56 PM
rcracoon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Are you a Shimano person or a SRAM person?
I've used both and cant say I have too much of a preference. As I understand too, the eTap from Sram is quite different from their mechanical while di2 is more similar to shimano's mechanical sets?
Old 07-05-23, 02:06 PM
rcracoon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
The bikes are comparable geometry. So if you want a fairly aggressive position then you should be good on either one.

Once you decide on whether you wan't SRAM or Shimano, then which bike calls to you and say's "ride me"?

They are both the same size aren't they? Otherwise your stack height and reach will vary between the two quite a bit and one might require a stem change or other stuff to fit you perfectly. Fewer pounds can make some hills seem to disappear.
The cannondale is actually a 56 while the Canyon is a 58 size. My commuter bike is a 58 and I find that very confortable but have also used two other bikes that were 56 and while I had to raise the seatpost a bit more, they were also comfortable. The canyon owner said he actually has both a 110mm and 90mm bar stem(I think that what its called) and he would include the one thats not currently on the bike.
Old 07-05-23, 02:45 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Either bike will be great.

The Cannondale will fit 700x28 tires and the Canyon will do 32s.

If you like/tolerate rim brakes, the Cannondale's Dura Ace calipers on alloy rims are hard to beat. But probably most people will push you toward the Canyon's discs.

The power meter on the Canyon is nice. It will probably cost around $350 ish to grab a Stages or a single side pedal if you want to add a meter to the Cannondale.

You might save some money on replacement parts with 11-speed Shimano, vs. 12-speed SRAM.

If you're fixated on the weight, I'd say that you'll probably find the Canyon to be closer to the 17-pound range of your estimate, if not over that. The Cannondale will always be able to be the lighter bike.

Assuming both are used, a lot comes down to their individual condition. That may be the most significant consideration.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 07-05-23, 04:07 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I would take the Canyon as I prefer disc brakes. The integrated Quarq PM with SRAM is nice too. Otherwise not much in it.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-06-23, 12:43 AM
rcracoon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ljsense
Either bike will be great.

The Cannondale will fit 700x28 tires and the Canyon will do 32s.

If you like/tolerate rim brakes, the Cannondale's Dura Ace calipers on alloy rims are hard to beat. But probably most people will push you toward the Canyon's discs.

The power meter on the Canyon is nice. It will probably cost around $350 ish to grab a Stages or a single side pedal if you want to add a meter to the Cannondale.

You might save some money on replacement parts with 11-speed Shimano, vs. 12-speed SRAM.

If you're fixated on the weight, I'd say that you'll probably find the Canyon to be closer to the 17-pound range of your estimate, if not over that. The Cannondale will always be able to be the lighter bike.

Assuming both are used, a lot comes down to their individual condition. That may be the most significant consideration.
Yeah thanks for all that insight! I know the Canyon has only had one owner and very limited use by them as a pandemic purchase while the Cannondale has had several owners. Unfortunately I can only confirm the Canyons condition as the cannondale is several hours away in another city and I haven’t been able to make a trip up there to see it, but with all the other considerations I do think I might be leaning towards the Canyon.
Old 07-06-23, 12:46 AM
rcracoon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would take the Canyon as I prefer disc brakes. The integrated Quarq PM with SRAM is nice too. Otherwise not much in it.
I have a friend who doesn’t think highly of disc brakes, mostly he thinks they rub too much and squeal a decent amount without any brakes applied. Is that a common issue with disc brakes or is that more so user error with maintenance and putting the tire back on by him?
Old 07-06-23, 02:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by rcracoon
I have a friend who doesn’t think highly of disc brakes, mostly he thinks they rub too much and squeal a decent amount without any brakes applied. Is that a common issue with disc brakes or is that more so user error with maintenance and putting the tire back on by him?
These things can happen, but are certainly avoidable. I have the same SRAM disc brakes on my Canyon and they don’t rub at all.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-06-23, 04:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I worried about that when I got my bike with disc brakes. However I can't say that they've squealed much. Usually a little bit when the road is wet and spray gets on them. But it goes away quickly. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe it's the more typical thing and only the few that have squealing brakes are the more vocal. Certainly I've had worse squealing bikes with rim brakes. But those too only squealed for a while, then I either found the cause/solution, or the noise just went away on it's own.

If you go with rim brakes, you have to consider that as time goes by, your selection of wheelsets with rim brakes will become less. If you build your own wheels it won't be so much of an issue for quite a while though.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-06-23, 04:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Both are great bikes. Although the super light weight of the Cannondale is very attractive to me, between those 2 choices, my pick would be the Canyon simply because it's all current technology standards. This opinion is from a guy who is very happy with his rim brake and mechanical-shifting bike.
Old 07-06-23, 06:52 PM
ArgoMan

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Honestly, just get the bike that feels better and is less expensive. If you ride is wet conditions often you may want disc over calipers.
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 07-07-23, 07:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
An excellent bike close by vs. an excellent choice several hours away....gotta add points on the spreadsheet.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-07-23, 08:19 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Hi all, completely new here but I'm greatly in need of some bike advice and this seems like a great place to try. I've been looking for a new bike for a while and have come to two that I'm stuck on now. I'll try and include all the specs and parts that I can. Would really appreciate any advice, info, or opinions y'all have on these.

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
  • SRAM Force Axs(eTap) 2x12
  • Disc brakes
  • Built in power meter
  • Wheels: Reynolds AR 41 setup tubeless
  • Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL
  • approximately 15-17lbs
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod
  • Shimano Dura Ace Di2 2x11
  • Dura Ace Brakes
  • Cannondale Hollowgram SL Crankset
  • Carbon ENVE Seatpost
  • Bontrager XXX Carbon Handlebar
  • FSA Carbon Stem
  • Mavic Ultralight Ksyrium SLR climbing wheelset
  • Excludes bottle cages and pedal
  • approximately 13.9lbs
Both bikes are priced exactly the same so that's not a factor, and I will fit comfortably on both as well, its really coming down to the components and frames. Just not sure how much of a difference they all add up to. Thanks in advance and sorry if this isnt the right place for this post!
​​​​​​​Canyon
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 07-07-23, 08:22 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Yes. Especially with SRAM AXS for some reason. You get used to and it's a valid trade off for the performance and not having to rely on carbon rim tracks. Frankly carbon rim brakes make zero sense. You literally are eating away and slowly delaminating your rims
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 07-09-23, 05:57 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I usually try to avoid controversial statements, but here goes.
i would take the Canyon for most of the reasons stated above.
Also, though this may have changed, the last and only set of Mavic wheels I owned had a plastic bushing that the hub body rode on, which required periodic removal and lubrication. Major drawback in my opinion, although if you take your hub apart regularly not so much an issue.
Likes For MikeWMass:
Old 07-09-23, 06:53 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
I'm partial to the Canyon. I prefer disk brakes and the Canyon just speaks to me. I'm going to go to my corner and drool now.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 07-11-23, 06:27 PM
rcracoon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you everyone for your comments and input! I went with the Canyon in the end and so far love it. I'm sure the Cannondale would have been great too but the Canyon just called to me. The reaffirmation of that being a great bike from several of you really hit that home for me so thanks again!

Last edited by rcracoon; 07-12-23 at 03:15 AM.
Likes For rcracoon: