Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Probably a stupid question: 1 1/8" steerer in 1" head tube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 07:46 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts

Is there anyway that a fork with a 1 1/8" steerer could be mounted on a bike with a 1" head tube? Is there any sort of special headset out there that would allow for this, or am I just dreaming?

I've forayed into the world of threadless forks. My mid-1990s steel frame (Bianchi Thron) has a threaded chrome fork, but today I picked up a 1" Alpha Q carbon fork and a 1" threadless headset to go with it, and went to work.

I'm learning as I go. I'm now aware that my bike, with its 150 mm-long head tube, requires at least 230 mm of steerer to be viable. The used Alpha Q I picked up had 207 mm of steerer available, bringing the top of the steerer just barely to the middle of the stem bolt. I might have considered trying to go with that, but the cap bolt wouldn't reach the star nut, so I took that as a sign. The fact that none of the hardware stores in my town had a longer bolt was another sign. So I'm giving up on this fork.

Does the 1 1/8" steerer simply not fit inside the 1" head tube? Or have people finagled these to work somehow?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.
Old 12-06-14, 07:54 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Think about what you're asking...

You're asking if a piece of metal can fit into a hole, that is 1/8" smaller than it. Logic would dictate, no. Then again, maybe I'm missing something and not understanding your question.
Old 12-06-14, 08:19 PM
rousseau

I'm fully willing to admit that it's a stupid question!

But just to prod the issue a bit: the 1" steerer can't be too snug inside the 1" head tube, right? Otherwise it wouldn't rotate freely. I'd go out and measure all this stuff, but I put my chrome fork back on the bike, so I don't want to take it all apart.

It just seems to me that the 1" steerer is a somewhat loose fit inside of the 1" head tube, i.e. the internal diameter of the head tube is slightly larger than 1". Isn't it? So, erm...what if i's actually large enough to allow a 1 1/8" steerer to fit inside and move freely?

Or would it simply not fit?
Old 12-06-14, 08:33 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Use a set of calipers and measure the inside diameter of the head tube. It may be slightly larger than 1". However, I seriously doubt the headset, meant to fit the 1" head tube," will accomodate a 1-1/8" steerer. In the world of bikes a small amount, like 1/8", is a HUGE difference. As far as I know there is no special headset for this.

Then again, I've never tried to get that creative with my bike components. I'd just buy a fork with the proper dimensions and be done with it. Who knows? It just might work.

Last edited by mrblue; 12-06-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-06-14, 08:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Is there anyway that a fork with a 1 1/8" steerer could be mounted on a bike with a 1" head tube? Is there any sort of special headset out there that would allow for this, or am I just dreaming?\.
Can you put 10#s of potatoes in a 5# bag?

It's always possible to use reducers to adapt a smaller diameter tube to fit in a large one, but the reverse isn't possible.

OTOH a 1-1/8" (28mm) steerer is slightly smaller than the 30mm ID of the 1" frame's head tube, so it's possible in theory. But it leaves no room for the wall of the part pressed in. If you could adapt a zero clearance headset that could securely sit on a head tube with ends possibly machined conical or a thin step, but it's not an easy job, and I don't believe anybody offers anything along those lines.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-06-14, 08:50 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the outside diameter of the steerer tube on the fork that came with my 1985 steel framed trek with what is commonly referred to as a 1" headtube is exactly 1". the inside diameter of the fork;s steerer tube is about 7/8". that means that the head tube's inside diameter is slightly larger than 1" and the outside diameter of the head tube could be as much as 1/8" wider still. this is all easily, and more accurately, referenced on wiki. with an emphasis on accurate.
Old 12-06-14, 08:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Frames designed for 1" steer tubes generally have 1.25" head tubes. Is that what you're asking?
Old 12-06-14, 09:00 PM
rousseau

Originally Posted by FBinNY
OTOH a 1-1/8" (28mm) steerer is slightly smaller than the 30mm ID of the 1" frame's head tube, so it's possible in theory. But it leaves no room for the wall of the part pressed in. If you could adapt a zero clearance headset that could securely sit on a head tube with ends possibly machined conical or a thin step, but it's not an easy job, and I don't believe anybody offers anything along those lines.
This is what I was wondering. You've clearly explained why it's unlikely. Thanks.

Next question: Where can I find a good wood extender? I need a 16-foot 2x6 for my back deck, but I only have a 15-foot cast-off available. It doesn't seem to stretch very easily by hand, but surely there must be a professional tool out there for the job?
Old 12-07-14, 04:33 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I've put a 1 1/8" steerer fork in a frame intended for an 1" once.
It was made "easy" through the bike being intended for an integrated headset. So I cut some shims and mounted a set of regular external cups. Changed the steering geometry a little, but nothing critical.
I've toyed with the idea of doing some "sleeves" which would press on to the outside of the head tube to possibly allow the use of 1 1/8 " steerers in 1" head tubes. Haven't quite needed it yet.
Old 12-07-14, 03:32 PM
tomacropod
ot.net slave

Bikes: Salsa mtb * 3, Intense mtb * 1, Abeni SS rd * 1, Salsa road/touring * 2, Trek Damn one * 1, Vintage/projects * many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can be done you just have to remove the pressed part of the cup from the equation Chris King rekindles an old flame - BikePortland.org

- joel
Old 12-07-14, 07:21 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
I'm fully willing to admit that it's a stupid question!

But just to prod the issue a bit: the 1" steerer can't be too snug inside the 1" head tube, right? Otherwise it wouldn't rotate freely. I'd go out and measure all this stuff, but I put my chrome fork back on the bike, so I don't want to take it all apart.

It just seems to me that the 1" steerer is a somewhat loose fit inside of the 1" head tube, i.e. the internal diameter of the head tube is slightly larger than 1". Isn't it? So, erm...what if i's actually large enough to allow a 1 1/8" steerer to fit inside and move freely?

Or would it simply not fit?
Actually, no it isn't such a stupid question in this sense. FSA makes a 30 mm diameter spindle crank like for BB30 bottom bracket shells that just fits inside the standard BSA bottom bracket shells intended for 24 mm diameter spindles. Just like the OP is asking except for bottom brackets, not head tubes. Bad news is that unfortunately it doesn't work that way for head tubes and steerer tubes. Sorry. But a good thought.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-07-14, 07:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Chris King (Because he can) has machined complete headtubes for his (Cielo) frames , with the ends like their press in bearing parts sold in thousands.

But since there is no need to slip inside the head tube the steerer Tube clearance inside the head tube could be smaller ..

So, head tube looks thinner, It is, but fork is still 9/8".

So it is possible , If you start with a New Custom Frame from Him..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-07-14 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-08-14, 01:56 AM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
look around on You Tube...there is a guy that restores old BMX bikes, (possibly for a museum somewhere), that has a very detailed video of the process. There are a lot of custom machined parts involved, but he may be offering this as a kit by now. It basically runs a thin sealed bearing outside, above, and below of the original headtube. The steerer must be cut to the new longer than original dimension, but it does fit thru the head tubing. Seems like there may have been a similar Cane Creek product available as well many years ago. Somebody should make this product available. Would be a nice complement to the bottom bracket sealed bearing conversion parts that are available from a number of suppliers.