Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Another Bafang BBS02B Question: which battery?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 02:52 AM
Bobpatch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to convert an old MTB, using the Bafang BBS02B, imported from China (to the UK from one of the big online electronics suppliers).

The thing I'd like some advice on is the battery - they quote for 2 versions of similar capacity:

48V/17Ah - £70 if bought with the £500 motor
52V/17.5Ah - £230 on top of the cost of the motor

The more expensive battery has a claimed c.10% increase in continuous and maximum discharge (28/30; 100/120), and a life of 1200+ cycles, opposed to 800 of the cheaper battery. It also has Samsung 21700 batteries, against unspecified in the cheaper version.

I'm very much at proof of concept stage, so cheaper is good. But by the same token I'd rather buy once and buy right. Any views?

Cheers, Rob
Old 10-26-21, 07:40 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 626 Posts
I'd pay extra for the more expensive battery. That said, for me, any battery that isn't from a major OEM is stored and charged where I wouldn't mind having a fire.
Old 10-26-21, 03:10 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 195 Posts
The 750W BBS02 can draw about 25A-26A. Mine will, You definitely want a battery where 30A is well within its limits, not one where it's all hype, If you couple it with a battery that is too small, nothing but bad things happen.

I see where Dillinger UK sells a BBS02 with a good battery for £999. I'd be a bit worried about a China vendor selling you one with a battery for £570, £70 being the added cost for the battery. Have to ask, what kind of pack is it? One of those shrinkwrapped packs? The Samsung 21700 cell model sounds far better. Even then, one has to ask what kind of battery case.

Old 10-28-21, 02:10 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
I see where Dillinger UK sells a BBS02 with a good battery for £999..
I have a Dillenger battery - 13ah, 48v. I've had it for going on 2 years in Dec and it's been a good battery. I got it with their Premium Off Road rear hub-drive kit and used that for 1000 miles. Then a month ago I changed the bike over to a Bafang BBSHD mid-drive bike but kept the Dillenger Battery from the hub-drive kit. All I needed to do was order an different battery cradle to make it work.

I get about 35 miles out of a charge and it's been very reliable. The cells inside are DLG 18650 and while they are not as top of the line as Samsung or Panasonic, DLG are known to make good cells.
Old 10-30-21, 02:05 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by creativepart
I have a Dillenger battery - 13ah, 48v. I've had it for going on 2 years in Dec and it's been a good battery. I got it with their Premium Off Road rear hub-drive kit and used that for 1000 miles. Then a month ago I changed the bike over to a Bafang BBSHD mid-drive bike but kept the Dillenger Battery from the hub-drive kit. All I needed to do was order an different battery cradle to make it work.

I get about 35 miles out of a charge and it's been very reliable. The cells inside are DLG 18650 and while they are not as top of the line as Samsung or Panasonic, DLG are known to make good cells.
I have a similar setup on my gravel bike, Bafang BBSHD and the 52V/17.5Ah battery. Great setup and super range. I can easily get 35 mile range or more with judicious use of power levels. I have 9 power ranges and due to a wide range, 10 speed cassette I usually cruise along in power setting 4 thru 6 for my hilly terrain, leaving me with lot's of battery at the end of most rides.
Old 11-02-21, 02:04 PM
Bobpatch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll bite the bullet and go for the 52V/17.5Ah.

I take the points on provenance and associated safety and reliability. It's a shame there's not much data on these 'no name' batteries in use. As it is I'll take a chance.
Old 01-01-22, 12:05 PM
narwhale100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SW102 display - headlight

After retrofitting a Bafang BBS01B 36V to my wife's bike, all is good apart from no power to the headlight. It has a SW102 display unit and following the instructions doesn't seem to do the trick. I've searched around the internet and not found any advice. Has anyone come across a similar issue?