Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How well will road cycling help me in a tower/stair climbing event?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How well will road cycling help me in a tower/stair climbing event?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 07:33 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
You'll definitely need to do both bike and steps. Recently climbed 1650m up a mountain while on tour. Seemed effortless at the time due to my high level of fitness. Next day I was practically crippled, all those muscles I hadn't used cycling came back to bite me. Even walking down a wheel chair ramp was painful.
I'd be doing the backpack or weightvest thing on stairs to get the right muscles in tune, especially for descending!
It's the descending (eccentric muscle contraction) that gives you the sore muscles. Cycling provides no help for descending.
Old 08-17-15, 07:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
True, but the cycling benefit will only happen if you ride hard, especially hills. Puttering along flat roads will not help.
Sustained climbs, especially out of the saddle will more closely replicate stairs.
Agreed.

Find a hill that's 1300 vertical feet at 8% so of grade, and it will fairly well replicate the work involved.

Obviously the best training for climbing stairs is climbing stairs. But if you can do a hard 1300 foot climb that will give you a pretty good idea of what you're looking at in terms of the needed effort.

Shorter hill repeats would help as well, but they need to be at least 10 minutes or so, so you're working the same zone as you'll need in your race.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-17-15, 11:11 AM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Personally, I doubt cycling will help much at all. I'm a firm believer in specificity of training. If one wants to improve at climbing stairs, one should center their training regimen around climbing stairs.
This.

Sounds like you are planning on finding stairs and training on them which is the best training for stairs.

Riding will give you a good cardio base and hill climbing/repeats etc. will help you with pacing.

My GF is a strong cyclist/runner (plus she uses one of those stair steppers that is a conveyor belt of actual steps) and almost never has leg pain when we go snowboarding. Last year she started doing the stairs near her work (Seattle is full of long stairs) for an hour workout going up and down. The first few times she could barely walk the next day. Going down a lot of stairs or steep trails really works your legs in a different way than almost anything else.

I can't tell you the number of stories I've heard (or witnessed) of people attempting Mt. Rainier and getting whipped who were really fit, strong runners (a lot of them marathoners). For something like that there is no substitute for long, steep uphill hikes preferably with weight.
Old 08-17-15, 12:40 PM
RetroDork

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Ricer LE, 43 pound vintage Raleigh, Gary Fisher MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
If it were me, I'd do those 60 minutes stair climbing on more days than just Monday.

I'd probably go with something like 60 min stair climbing on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday ... then do the intervals and hiking on the weekend. Take Tuesday and Friday off to rest. You'd have to arrange the pattern to suit your schedule, but go with stair climbing 3 days a week, other stuff 2 days, and rest 2 days.

I know when I was climbing the stairs at work ... when I was doing it about once a week (plus lots of cycling and walking), I was really struggling to get up. But when I started doing it just about every day, it started to get easier.

And if you can get into a tall building on one stair climbing day, that would be good.

(So far today I've climbed 10 flights of stairs ... hoping for another 5 or 10 later. )
I fear you may be right. This morning I did a 15ish minute warm up with calisthenics/push ups/st ups/dips and some lunges. Then about 40-45 minutes on the bleacher steps. Mixed in some plyometrics- did hops up the stairs and did some sprints too.
Brutal.
The descents were almost worse than the assents.
My calves are realllly hating me right now. Thighs/quads aren't too bad at all.
The biking probably helped with a cardio base, a higher lactate threshold and generally being able to embrace the suck. But for a specific activity like stair climbing, you need a workout that focuses on that activity.
I may try doing the tire drag around the block tomorrow ( seems to entertain the neighbors if nothing else), and then a bike ride on Wednesday and stairs again on Friday. Might add some weight in a backpack for Friday.
Then for the 2nd and 3rd weeks, I'll probably be doing the bleachers 3 times a week.
I really wish I knew how long the event was going to take. I've seen videos of people climbing 35 floors in well under 10 minutes - but I'm assuming my event will go at a much slower pace.
Old 08-17-15, 12:43 PM
RetroDork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoastDHer
I practiced for the local FD with a 45lb weight vest a buddy gave me.
....then I started doing sprints wearing it (on the bike). Made a good warm up for working out. I passed the stair climber part easy (passed the test too!). Message me if you'd like a run down of that workout (it's tough!)
Thanks for the workouts.
I got the 1st one and thought " that doesn't look too bad at all."
Then I saw the second one.
Looks vicious.
Can't wait to try it.

Last edited by RetroDork; 08-17-15 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 02:37 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
cycling won't help much pre-event but post-event, a decent, easy spin of 25-40 flattish miles the next day will do wonders to
dissipate the lactic acid buildup and relieve soreness. i know it seems counter-intuitive but give it a try.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-18-15 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-18-15, 05:02 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Personally, I doubt cycling will help much at all. I'm a firm believer in specificity of training. If one wants to improve at climbing stairs, one should center their training regimen around climbing stairs.
Another . Pack on some extra weight and get to the stairs.
Old 08-18-15, 05:16 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
This ^^^
I don't think I would be a great stair climber but am a decent cyclist. You need to train what you want to be good at.
Old 08-18-15, 05:28 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I would find/borrow a stair master or equivalent. Or find a rarely used escalator and walk up the down one.

FWIW I am in pretty good cycling shape and do a lot of climbing. We were recently at Bunker Hill and I ran up the stairs (only 293 steps, much less than your event). It felt ok but the next few days my legs were SORE!
When I swapped apartments a couple of years ago, I went from a one-floor to a townhouse-style apartment with a bunch of stairs. Running 20-odd miles per week, 2-3 hard trainer sessions per week... and I was semi-crippled for a couple of days after the move because my calves had these incredibly sore lines around their thickest parts. Stair climbing is a special thing.
Old 08-18-15, 07:27 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
cycling won't help much pre-event but post-event, a decent, easy spin of 25-40 flattish miles the next day will do wonders to
dissipate the lactic acid buildup and relieve soreness. i know it seems counter-intuitive but give it a try.
Lactic acid will be long gone by the next day. It's cleared out rather quickly.
Old 08-18-15, 10:10 AM
RetroDork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
Funny you should mention that... my calves were really sore and tight after my stair workout yesterday, so I did a 30 minute easy spin around the neighborhood in granny gear. But then I got to feeling a little froggy, so I dragged a tire around the block for good measure.
And now I'm going to go mow the front yard.
Old 09-01-15, 12:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by RetroDork
Funny you should mention that... my calves were really sore and tight after my stair workout yesterday, so I did a 30 minute easy spin around the neighborhood in granny gear. But then I got to feeling a little froggy, so I dragged a tire around the block for good measure.
And now I'm going to go mow the front yard.
So how's the stair climbing going?

I'm up to 25 flights a day now, and two of my coworkers are also climbing about that every day too.

The first 5 flights of the day are with a fairly heavy backpack ... the rest are much lighter, so I try to do them faster.