Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Howdy from Central Texas

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Howdy from Central Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 12:53 PM
RetroDork

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Ricer LE, 43 pound vintage Raleigh, Gary Fisher MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy from Central Texas

Hi Y'all!
I'm (cough) past 30(cough) and only a moderately grumpy old guy.

Been banging around on a vintage 10 speed (or 3) for the last 20+ years, and I'm looking forward to upgrading to a 'real' road bike this year. I have a Gary Fisher MTB that I love, and I use my beater bikes for occasional trips to the store or the swimming pool.
I've done some longish road rides (60-70) miles on the vintage bikes, but I feel it's time to finally move into the 21st century, and try those new fangled things like quick release rims, aluminum frame and rims and maybe even a bike computer with GPS ( finally broke down and bought a smart phone earlier this year).
Heck, I might even get crazy and give up my toe clips and try them fantzy shoes with no laces.

Would like to do at least one 100 mile ride, and have a crazy idea about doing some crits and a MTB race or 2.

I was a member here 5 or 6 years ago, but haven't really been into cycling for a while - but I do a group ride once a month with about 200ish people. So at least I can say I'm not a total newb.
I used to do Crossfit before it was cool, and now I do the workouts from Rescue Athlete...but I've been slacking off the last 6 months or so...and I've been riding my bike to help get back into better shape.
Old 08-03-15, 02:17 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Welcome back to BikeForums. Sounds like you having fun rolling on your various steeds. Keep them moving.
Old 08-03-15, 02:32 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. I wish I was just "past 30". I'm 70 and love my road bikes. What new road bikes are you considering? The folks in the Road Cycling forum can give you lots of info and suggestions.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-03-15, 02:35 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
welcome to the forum...not sure how much past 30 you are, but my son is 44. Love my road bikes and my cross bike (which is really my crappy road conditions, bad weather bike)
Old 08-05-15, 05:30 PM
RetroDork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Welcome to Bike Forums. I wish I was just "past 30". I'm 70 and love my road bikes. What new road bikes are you considering? The folks in the Road Cycling forum can give you lots of info and suggestions.
I'm a bit of a price point shopper.. and it looks like it's going to be hard to beat the Fuji Sportif at Performance bike for $599. LBS wants $800ish for the same bike.
Not sure what the best time of year to purchase is.... holidays, end of year or spring. (who am I kidding, I can't wait til spring)
Old 08-05-15, 05:35 PM
RetroDork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
welcome to the forum...not sure how much past 30 you are, but my son is 44. Love my road bikes and my cross bike (which is really my crappy road conditions, bad weather bike)
I'm 48 but in serious denial.

I'd love to try cyclocross, but there don't see to be (m)any events near me.
Old 08-06-15, 01:21 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RetroDork
I'm 48 but in serious denial.

I'd love to try cyclocross, but there don't see to be (m)any events near me.
Cyclocross (CX) is a fall and winter sport. Here's a link to TX cyclocross events coming up next month.
Have fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.