Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Achille's tendon pain

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Achille's tendon pain

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 12:42 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Achille's tendon pain

Anyone have thoughts on why I would be getting pain in the Achilles tendon? Only having pain on the left tendon. Nothing has changed on the bike in well over a year.
Old 11-20-17, 12:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
only connection I ever had between Achilles tendon & cycling was when I started running. I over-did it with the running (trying to increase my stride & pace) & therapy was cycling. & there was no discomfort on the bike. are you only having Achilles discomfort while on the bike? if not, is it possible you strained it elsewhere?
Old 11-20-17, 01:36 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I started getting pain in that area many years ago. I only felt it on rides of over 50 miles and eventually realized that it had started after I replaced my toe clips. I checked them and determined that the new ones were a few mm shorter and therefore placed my feet farther back on the pedals. Longer clips cured the problem and once cleated shoes became available I've been careful to mount the cleats back in the slots.
Old 11-20-17, 01:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,003 Times in 1,423 Posts
It's rare but it happens. Don't know why. I'd look at physical therapy - stretching, strengthening. Try riding at a higher cadence (lower gear), especially on hills. Relax your ankle, feel the heel cup.
Old 11-20-17, 02:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
the new ones were a few mm shorter and therefore placed my feet farther back on the pedals
I made some extensions out of tubular plastic collars that push my mini clips forward. I have them on all 3 bikes

can kind of see them in this cropped zoomed edit

so that the wide part of my foot, where that 1st big toe knuckle is, lines up w the pedal axis

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-20-17 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 04:39 PM
Beach Bob

All interesting comments. I am using SPD clips, set well back towards the heel. I'm almost at the point of replacing the shoes (and clips).

Thoughts on moving to Speedplays or SPD-SLs?
Old 11-20-17, 04:52 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
All interesting comments. I am using SPD clips, set well back towards the heel. I'm almost at the point of replacing the shoes (and clips).

Thoughts on moving to Speedplays or SPD-SLs?
For myself I found that positioning the SPD cleats at the rearmost position in the slots was sufficient. But I know a couple people who drilled new holes in their shoes to place the cleats even farther back. If you like the shoes and pedals in other respects I'd try that approach first before going to a different system.
Old 11-21-17, 09:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,003 Times in 1,423 Posts
My guess is that different shoes would only make a difference if they were stiffer. Around here almost all long distance cyclists use Sidi Dominators with SPD. I doubt that a different pedal system would make any difference. Google "cycling achilles tendonitis". Then off to your gym and talk to a trainer.
Old 11-22-17, 04:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,018 Times in 3,452 Posts
I agree that changing the cleat type won't do anything for your pain issue. IMO.

Some people wear their shoes out in a years worth of riding. Maybe you just need new ones.

I'd experiment with fore and aft positions and things like heel in or heel out angles.

Do you mash or spin? Since I got old, I always favor spinning now. Any time I get soreness in knees, feet or legs, during the ride and ask myself if I've been keeping my cadence high. If I have not, then increasing my cadence usually stops the soreness before it becomes anything. The other thing I ask myself for those and other situations is have I been hydrating frequently.
Old 11-26-17, 09:25 PM
Beach Bob

Originally Posted by Iride01
I agree that changing the cleat type won't do anything for your pain issue. IMO.

Some people wear their shoes out in a years worth of riding. Maybe you just need new ones.

I'd experiment with fore and aft positions and things like heel in or heel out angles.

Do you mash or spin? Since I got old, I always favor spinning now. Any time I get soreness in knees, feet or legs, during the ride and ask myself if I've been keeping my cadence high. If I have not, then increasing my cadence usually stops the soreness before it becomes anything. The other thing I ask myself for those and other situations is have I been hydrating frequently.
I'm trying to be more of a spinner (i.e. holding 90 or so), but more naturally a masher....

In experimenting a bit, it seems that it may be related to having the cleat alignment off a bit, forcing the heel out seems to reduce the symptoms quite a bit.
Old 12-07-17, 11:16 AM
Beach Bob

Fresh pair of shoes and a lot of judicious tweaking...and no pain, no swelling....
Old 12-07-17, 11:36 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Shoes being too small have caused me issues, as has too long a stride when running.
Old 01-11-18, 05:45 PM
fivefootnine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having snapped my right Achilles twice, all I can say is listen to your body. If it hurts, STOP! You do not want the pain, you do not want to be in a cast for 3 months and you do not want to be off your foot for 6 months. This was by far the the most absolute worst injury I have ever been through... and I’ve broke my neck as well!!!
Old 02-07-18, 02:39 AM
lear60man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stretching and small cork lifts in your walking shoes. Thats all I got sorry.