Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chain keeps coming off

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chain keeps coming off

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 02:01 AM
mattijones1979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain keeps coming off

Hi all

Any ideas please?

Bought new bike for my boy, but chain keeps coming off the front when on the biggest cog on the rear. It then sits on top of the teeth rather than on the teeth and doesn’t catch. Thanks in advance.

matt
Old 02-24-24, 05:45 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Hello Matt,
It sounds like the derailleurs need adjusting, and I'm assuming the bike didn't come from a local bike shop. Links to video help below, but you have to get the bike off the ground to do this. Need to pedal at about 15-20 rpm during adjustment and testing. You can buy a bike stand, hang the bike on a car rack, or rope it up to a tree or rafters. Come back with questions, derailleur adjustment seems finicky the first couple times. You could take it to a bike shop too, but I think you should learn a bit of fixing, become enchanted with cycling, get yourself a bike, a repair stand, and skintight lycra outfits and...well, yeah, welcome to BikeForums.

Park Tool videos
Intro
Rear
Front
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 02-24-24, 08:54 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
If you bought the bike new from a bike shop, most include a post-purchase tune-up at no additional cost. Check this first. Failing that, all you may need is a derailleur adjustment; the videos @BTinNYC referenced should help with that.

You don't mention whether the crank has only one chainring, or perhaps two or three chainrings. If the latter, "cross-chaining" can cause inadvertent derailment. Cross-chaining happens when you use the extreme gears: large ring in front, large sprocket in the rear and small ring in front with small ring in the rear. These gear combinations put the chain at its most extreme chainline mismatch, and are best avoided, both to minimize derailment and to minimize chain wear.
Old 02-24-24, 08:59 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Those Park Tool videos really helped me a couple of years ago!
Old 02-24-24, 01:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Does it happen any time or is it just after you've done something else? One thing that might cause a chain to come off is if you quit pedaling before the shift is completed. Then when you start pedaling, it will sometimes come off. But all sorts of other things that you'll be advised of by others here can also be an issue.

With new bikes, going back to the shop is a good suggestion. Especially if you are new to riding a bike or a bike of that type and drivetrain. It might be a mis adjustment, Or it might be something you do and don't realize it's not correct. Bike shops want you to come back to them. They'll be glad to help.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-24-24 at 01:14 PM.