Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are great!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc brakes are great!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 05:52 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I want to know if that avatar photo is really you or just for effect to go with your shtick, clearly designed to wind people up and create the backlash you always receive.

I find it hard to believe that you are being genuine. Do you really think people here are getting paid by Big Bike to argue against your repetitive shtick?
Speak for yourself. My Youtube channel of 68 subscribers and my Strava with 69 followers were being sponsored by Canyon...at least until they found out that I was moonlighting with PON holdings. I was getting kickdowns from Specialized too, but I criticized the "Brain" rear suspension on my Epic too much and lost out on that cash cow. I was raking in the dough, just advancing the corporate agenda of disc brakes, thru axles, and blacked out bikes. Now I survive on a meager income by dowsing steel bikes with battery acid.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 02-17-24, 06:03 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Last time I mentioned Taylor Swift here I got banned, but I’ll try again, because people are unaware.

Celebrities, actors, and musicians have long been controlled by 3 letter agencies to sway public opinion. With the internet and the “democratization of media” it’s way easier for a random to blow up and get a following. It used to be gatekept by the record agencies and kingmakers, but now a Fortnite streamer can have a bigger following than a titan of the entertainment industry.

naturally, this is unsettling for those who seek to control the media sphere and influence public opinion. The days of Prince, Evis, or other cultural icons being important to large swaths of the public are over. The promotion of Taylor Swift across so many media platforms is a last ditch effort by the media moguls to artificially inflate her popularity. She’s one of the last big names still out there making music, and I won’t get into her history but it’s a deep dive. She’s controlled, and used to influence public opinion.

Also for anyone listening to reports about Q-anon adjacent conspiracy theories regarding Swift helping Biden, it’s a complete lie. Nobody is suggesting that, and the media is clamoring around a fake story to stoke division and increase Taylor’s popularity.
That's like when the CIA, under the MK-ULTRA program, recruited the Grateful Dead lyricist/poet Robert Hunter (who it turns out was not only related to Robert Burns, but actually had the birth name of Robert Burns, before he was adopted) and fed him a lot of acid.

Except different. Robert Hunter had talent, and they only influenced the same 650 people, over and over again.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 02-17-24 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added link
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-17-24, 08:14 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Just so we know who is who, can we get a show of hands as to who works directly in the industry or is paid by the industry to spawn social media content? AI chatbots too please.
The heirs of some gentleman named Moore in Oklahoma City are going to pay me the prevailing steel scrap rate for all the Takaras I can get my boney fingers on.

Old 02-17-24, 09:49 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
W...T...F...that is all...now go about your day and do something productive or at least pretend to...
Old 02-17-24, 11:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Eleven pages of chatter....And still no one has given a single solid reason why, for my riding and my bikes, I should shun disc brakes.
Old 02-18-24, 12:46 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Eleven pages of chatter....And still no one has given a single solid reason why, for my riding and my bikes, I should shun disc brakes.
Maybe because we wouldn't presume to dictate what you should do. We can only tell you why we prefer or shun disc brakes. If you go back through those eleven pages, you'll find plenty of opinions, kindly and delicately expressed.
Old 02-18-24, 05:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Maybe because we wouldn't presume to dictate what you should do. We can only tell you why we prefer or shun disc brakes. If you go back through those eleven pages, you'll find plenty of opinions, kindly and delicately expressed.
Along with some complete lunacy.
Old 02-18-24, 05:52 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Along with some complete lunacy.
Be nice. You came to cyberspace for other peoples' opinions and experiences.
Old 02-18-24, 07:15 AM
PeteHski

Be nice. You came to cyberspace for other peoples' opinions and experiences.
Opinions are interesting until they suggest we are all dumb, gullible sheep or industry shills. Especially when their opinions are stated as indisputable fact.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-18-24, 09:54 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Unsettling indeed. Back to disc brakes - specifically on performance road bikes where they are heavy, fussy and unnecessary.

Whenever someone posts an opinion contrary to the current industry trend/fad, there is an immediate pile-on from the paid industry influencers, followed by a flood of irrelevant silly content perhaps designed to dilute the thread or cause it to be terminated? Deliberate tactic so that buyers looking for unbased experienced advice can only see the industry dogma?

Just so we know who is who, can we get a show of hands as to who works directly in the industry or is paid by the industry to spawn social media content? AI chatbots too please.
This was posted 7 days ago, forgive formatting issues, I think you may find it interesting. I’ve been posting about Big Gravel, partially in jest, for a long time now, but it could be true. It’s long been speculated that most content on the internet is created by bots

"I can't name names for privacy reasons.

The gist of what I do is teach computers to do sentiment analysis on social media posts that are of interest to clients, tag them based on their various properties (author, sentiments, keywords, etc), and add them to a giant graph of all social media posts we're interested in, who else has retweeted them or the link, who responded to them, etc. We use this to estimate exposure numbers and influence, and try to isolate the key people in a social graph which are causing an opinion to form. (Ideally, on the order of minutes or hours instead of days or weeks.)

Once we isolate key people, we look for people we know are in their upstream -- people that they read posts from, but who themselves are less influential. (This uses the same social media graph built before.) We then either start flame wars with bots to derail the conversations that are influencing influential people (think nonsense ****** posts about conspiracies that sound like Markov chains of nonsense other people have said), or else send off specific tasks for sockpuppets (changing this wording of an idea here; cause an ideological split there; etc).

The goal is to keep opinions we don't want fragmented and from coalescing in to a single voice for long enough that the memes we do want can, at which points they've gotten a head start on going viral and tend to capture a larger-than-otherwise share of media attention.

(All of the stuff above is basically the "standard" for online PR (usually farmed out to an LLC with a generic name working for the marketing firm contracted by the big firm; deniability is a word frequently said), once you're above a certain size.)

Careful analysis of online communities (or reading the papers where they got caught) would tell you that various nations are using similar technologies against their citizens and other nations. It's not entirely about business that China is concerned with building a domestic social network, and DARPA runs extensive research programs on social graph analysis and influence, on behalf of the Pentagon."

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 02-18-24 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-18-24, 10:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-18-24, 10:40 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
The choice of a tinfoil hat to discredit me…
No tinfoil hats necessary for that.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-18-24, 10:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
When you look at the world, it is important to remember - "Never Attribute to Malice That Which Is Adequately Explained by Stupidity"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-18-24, 11:05 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
For anyone interested, here's a 2022 article published in the Decision Analytics Journal:

A systematic review of social media-based sentiment analysis: Emerging trends and challenges

Old 02-18-24, 11:06 AM
Trakhak

FYI, I've reported my previous post and LarrySellerz' post 260 for being potentially too political (for General Cycling, anyway).
Old 02-18-24, 11:13 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
FYI, I've reported my previous post and LarrySellerz' post 260 for being potentially too political (for General Cycling, anyway).
calling my post political is absurd. I’ll probably receive a ban, and tbh you should feel bad about that. I know you’re confused by my postings, you said you think I’m a performance artist earlier in this thread, which is a more personal attack than almost anything in my post history.

The tendency to want to silence someone when they speak something that makes you uncomfortable is human and understandable, I’m not angry, but you should try to do better. Especially with the algorithms putting us into echo chambers.

I’ve smoked salvia Divinorum a few times this last month, and it’s made me more open minded to outlandish theories.
Old 02-18-24, 11:13 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Opinions are interesting until they suggest we are all dumb, gullible sheep or industry shills. Especially when their opinions are stated as indisputable fact.
I'm confused now. Are you asserting that I called you or anyone else dumb or gullible? Or that my opinions were indisputable fact? If I did, I apologize. I've been diligently drinking myself to death, so if I said something hurtful, I'm very sorry.
Old 02-18-24, 11:17 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I’ve smoked salvia Divinorum a few times this last month, and it’s made me more open minded to outlandish theories.
So you literally are hallucinating?
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-18-24, 11:17 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Shocking.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-18-24, 11:38 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...if you really want to discuss shunning, you ought to start a thread on that topic in P+R.
Old 02-18-24, 12:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
I want to know if that avatar photo is really you or just for effect to go with your shtick, clearly designed to wind people up and create the backlash you always receive.

I find it hard to believe that you are being genuine. Do you really think people here are getting paid by Big Bike to argue against your repetitive shtick?
Starting to find conspiracies so overdone these days. People need to find a new schtick. Now back to my Space Alien Monkey Babies novel. Edit: A special thanks to Steve Martin for inspiring that last line.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-18-24, 12:12 PM
Trakhak

calling my post political is absurd. I’ll probably receive a ban, and tbh you should feel bad about that. I know you’re confused by my postings, you said you think I’m a performance artist earlier in this thread, which is a more personal attack than almost anything in my post history.

The tendency to want to silence someone when they speak something that makes you uncomfortable is human and understandable, I’m not angry, but you should try to do better. Especially with the algorithms putting us into echo chambers.

Three things:

First: My "Theater major" post was simply meant to demonstrate how easy it is to come up with a conspiracy theory on the strength of scanty or nonexistent evidence. You and I both know no one could take it seriously.

Second: Before you added the post I quoted here, I had pretty much no idea that "sentiment-based" marketing analysis existed, and certainly no idea that the field of study had advanced so far. Honestly, having barely skimmed the article that I linked to, I'm shocked and depressed.

Despite that, and despite the fact that I'd almost rather not know it existed, I'm grateful to you for providing the information that sent me off to find out about it.

Third and finally, you absolutely do not deserve an infraction. You're far from only one who has gone off on a tangent in this thread. I reported your post and mine only because the frightening topic of machine learning being used to manipulate our reactions doesn't feel much like a General Cycling topic, or even Foo.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-18-24, 12:44 PM
Dave Mayer

Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Back on topic. I was in a newly opened local high-end shop yesterday. They sell road bikes for the fast crowd. I did not see anything for sale at less than $4k. All bikes had hydraulic discs, and most featured electronic shifting and fully-integrated frames and bars. The mechanic in the back corner was swearing under his breath trying to fish a hydraulic line through a handlebar.

The higher-end carbon bikes that I lifted up all weighed more than any of my carbon road bikes, some considerably more. More than even my 20-year old titanium bikes.

So if you need better braking in the rain, at the expense of a couple of extra pounds of bike weight, and you are willing to spend $3k more for a 2024 bike relative to a good used high-end 2015 rim brake model, then these bikes would be for you.

BTW: I'm not an AI influencer bot; I think we need to include this disclaimer on posts going forward.
Old 02-18-24, 01:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
So if you need better braking in the rain, at the expense of a couple of extra pounds of bike weight...
Once again, your claim that disc brakes come with a two pound weight penalty is false.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-18-24, 01:05 PM
PeteHski

I'm confused now. Are you asserting that I called you or anyone else dumb or gullible? Or that my opinions were indisputable fact? If I did, I apologize. I've been diligently drinking myself to death, so if I said something hurtful, I'm very sorry.
Sorry, I wasn’t referring to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.