Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 newbie remorse

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 newbie remorse

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 02:38 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Di2 newbie remorse

Hi

I just upgraded my bike to Ultegra Di2 12 speed. Previously this one had DA9100. It’s got rim brakes.

Took it out for a short test run and these were my first impressions. Wondered if others have felt similar discombobulation and does it go away?

Hoods felt tiny. Almost as though I have to close my hands up too much to grip them Maybe that’s a side effect of using my gravel bike over the winter with hydraulic GRX levers. I remember them seeming quite chunky at first. But I’ve also used my trainer a lot and that has rim brake 105 5700 shifters and I don’t remember those feeling skinny. This might be something not many have tried as I bet most Di2 owners have disc brakes.

I found shifting down to a smaller sprocket quite a clunk. Think I started to finesse the timing of this a bit better towards the end of the ride.

More than once I hit the wrong button. Usually going up (bigger) on the cassette when I meant to go down.

Top hood buttons seemed a little difficult to locate and the click feedback was very subtle when I did hit it. Took a brief pause for the Garmin screen to change so I was rarely sure I’d pressed it. Long fingered gloves but thin ones. You have to press it right at the front of the little chevron I seemed to figure out?

Things I already love;
front mech is so easy
being able to hold down a hood button to go direct to the Garmin map. Shame you can’t do it for ClimbPro as far as I can tell
holding down the button to slip down a few cogs as you start a descent.
11-34 range

Last edited by choddo; 03-10-24 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-10-24, 02:49 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Hi

I just upgraded my bike to Ultegra Di2 12 speed. Previously this one had DA9100. It’s got rim brakes.

Took it out for a short test run and these were my first impressions. Wondered if others have felt similar discombobulation and does it go away?

Hoods left tiny. Almost as though I have to close my hands up too much to grip them Maybe that’s a side effect of using my gravel bike over the winter with hydraulic GRX levers. I remember them seeming quite chunky at first. But I’ve also used my trainer a lot and that has rim brake 105 5700 shifters and I don’t remember those feeling skinny. This might be something not many have tried as I bet most Di2 owners have disc brakes.

I found shifting down to a smaller sprocket quite a clunk. Think I started to finesse the timing of this a bit better towards the end of the ride.

More than once I hit the wrong button. Usually going up (bigger) on the cassette when I meant to go down.

Top hood buttons seemed a little difficult to locate and the click feedback was very subtle when I did hit it. Took a brief pause for the Garmin screen to change so I was rarely sure I’d pressed it. Long fingered gloves but thin ones. You have to press it right at the front of the little chevron I seemed to figure out?

Things I already love;
front mech is so easy
being able to hold down a hood button to go direct to the Garmin map. Shame you can’t do it for ClimbPro as far as I can tell
11-34 range

The hoods are tiny. I had Sram force on my gen 6 madone and hated the FD. There was a 60% chance of chain drop whenever you shifted the FD.

My wife knew that was a problem, so when she bought me my Gen 7 madone she went for shimano ultegra Di2. I was stoked at first, but the hoods are way too small. Almost feels like the old 5800. I’m slowly getting used to it, but really wish I could use Sram hoods on my shimano drive train.

I do think the system as a whole works better than my Sram, as well as looks cleaner. The sram derailers are so chunky.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-10-24, 08:13 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Sounds like getting accustomed to the new system
Who did the shifting adjustment...is it properly adjusted
'shifting down to a smaller sprocket quite a clunk'...could be the number of teeth from one gear to the other is the reason...one tooth change perhaps no sound.
Lever sizes change, sometimes for the better, other times not so much depending on the size of the person's hand and the size change from one type of device to the other...can be a pain but likely less noticeable as one puts in the time with the new device.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 03-10-24, 08:42 AM
choddo

LBS, excellent mechanic I know well, yes I think it's adjusted properly. Hmm - good question on the number of teeth delta, I was probably mid-cassette but I'll play with that a bit.
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-10-24, 09:26 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
The hoods are tiny. I had Sram force on my gen 6 madone and hated the FD. There was a 60% chance of chain drop whenever you shifted the FD.

My wife knew that was a problem, so when she bought me my Gen 7 madone she went for shimano ultegra Di2. I was stoked at first, but the hoods are way too small. Almost feels like the old 5800. I’m slowly getting used to it, but really wish I could use Sram hoods on my shimano drive train.

I do think the system as a whole works better than my Sram, as well as looks cleaner. The sram derailers are so chunky.
Shimano > SRAM.

Their FD is ****. Plus, the hoods are enormous. The new generation have smaller ones, but I still don't trust the FD. I've had so much problem with mine (Force) including chain drops on every-single-freaking ride and all adjustments were 100% within specs. I now have a PTSD.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-10-24, 09:57 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
If you are noticing shifting issues I would download the E-Tube app, it makes adjustments for Di2 super easy and is kind of fun in a way. Plus you can adjust all of your buttons to do what you want so maybe you might consider one side shifts up and one side shifts down and maybe the top buttons for front derailleur shifts since most people do those less frequently? However that is on you. I occasionally play computer games and sometimes while similar games they have slightly different controls so it takes a second to get used to it and I am usually so excited to play a new game I don't bother to keep the settings similar for all the games. It provides a little extra challenge for a second while I refamiliarize myself but it is usually quick.

In terms of the hood size that is probably a bit of getting used to but coming from bigger chunkier hoods it will be a change but I think you will get it ok.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-10-24, 11:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Sounds like normal stuff that you have going on anytime you are getting use to something new.

Depending on what you came from the hood's might feel smaller. I had many of the same perceptions too and have gotten over them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-10-24, 12:06 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I only ride Campagnolo. Their shifters are always perfect in size and shape.
Old 03-10-24, 12:21 PM
choddo

Yeah I have the eTube app but haven’t played with it much yet.

(and also have about 20 game controllers in the house 😂 - they get a lot less use these days)
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-10-24, 12:23 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by sced
Soooo many dolla! They are things of beauty though.

Last edited by choddo; 03-10-24 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-10-24, 12:59 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Shimano > SRAM.

Their FD is ****. Plus, the hoods are enormous. The new generation have smaller ones, but I still don't trust the FD. I've had so much problem with mine (Force) including chain drops on every-single-freaking ride and all adjustments were 100% within specs. I now have a PTSD.
I’m so baffled by this. I totally believe you but my experience has been completely different with every SRAM FD I have had. I’m generally inept at bike maintenance and have been able to successfully set up 2 AXS setups where the chain never drops. Personally I prefer everything about SRAM, but that’s just me.
Old 03-10-24, 01:11 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I’m so baffled by this. I totally believe you but my experience has been completely different with every SRAM FD I have had. I’m generally inept at bike maintenance and have been able to successfully set up 2 AXS setups where the chain never drops. Personally I prefer everything about SRAM, but that’s just me.
Must admit, a lot of my friends are on AXS now and I haven’t heard any complaints like this or seen any problems on many Sunday rides.
Old 03-10-24, 01:11 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Is Shimano stuff truly wireless now?
Old 03-10-24, 01:14 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by nomadmax
This rim brake one certainly isn’t. The disc one is semi wireless now (shifters to battery/brain has no wire, from there to both derailleurs has wires)
Old 03-10-24, 01:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
But are they “best” ?
Old 03-10-24, 01:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Disc brake shifters are wireless, rim brake are not. Derailers are wired to the battery.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-10-24, 01:50 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
But are they “best” ?
I was being silly and don't know about non-Campy. I suspect the most correct answer is ymmv.
Likes For sced:
Old 03-10-24, 03:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I only have 1 bike with SRAM Force AXS and it has been faultless for 2 years. The FD works fine and doesn’t drop the chain. SRAM obviously did have some FD issues as they went out of their way to document the setup in fine detail, but mine has never had a problem. I did follow the setup procedure very closely before the first ride and it just worked.

I much prefer the SRAM shift paddles and fully wireless setup.
Old 03-10-24, 04:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I've had my Di2 since Sept 2014, almost 10 years, and approx 40,000 miles. The shifters are still working perfectly. (I replaced the rear derailleur as "preventative maintenance" since I plan to ride it many more years.) A ballpark guess is I've done 500,000 to 800,000 shifts on the Di2.

I have large hands. The shifter hoods seem fine to me. A bit smaller than the 11 speed Campagnolo mechanical on my other bike, but I like both. I do have the Di2 hoods at a slight upward angle so the palm of my hand fits naturally on the hood+bar.

I don't notice any shift button problems, even with heavy winter gloves (or thin goretex shell mittens, that I like for the first half hour of cold starting rides.)
I've gotten used to being able to shift with a ring finger on casual rides, or doing fast, easy shifts from the drops with an index finger. I ride rolling terrain and I shift all the time, even for just a few pedal strokes before shifting again.

I have the Di2 set to "shift 3 cogs with a long press". At the base of a hill, hold both bottom buttons for 1/2 second or longer (the "long press"). That's small ring and 3 harder cogs, good. Over the top of the climb: long press both top buttons. Now it's the big ring and three easier cogs.
I don't see the need for auto shift on the front. I'll just decide for myself.

~~~~
Info:
Charge level: Solid green light: 100% to 50% charge. blinking green: 50% to 25%. solid red: "low" to 25%. blinking red: the last few percent, and usually the front stops shifting, to preserve a bit of battery for the cassette shifts. I've run out 2 or 3 times in the 9+ years, so I try to charge within a ride or two after I see the blinking green "under 50%" level. There's no advantage to letting it get really low.

Di2 crash mode: I've seen this mode when a chain got jammed. It also can be triggered by a fall onto the drive side, but I've never seen a Di2 bike fall on it so far. It acts like the Di2 is broken -- nothing happens when pressing shift buttons. It can be easily reset back to working condition using the junction box button -- google search this.

Micro adjustments: Holding the junction box button for 5 seconds, the light turns red. Now each shifter button click moves it 1/32 of a shift in that direction, for fine tuning the chain-cog position. I do this maybe once a year if I hear some slight chain rubbing noises. It's very easy to do.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-10-24 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 03-10-24, 04:41 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Hi

Hoods felt tiny. Almost as though I have to close my hands up too much to grip them Maybe that’s a side effect of using my gravel bike over the winter with hydraulic GRX levers. I remember them seeming quite chunky at first. But I’ve also used my trainer a lot and that has rim brake 105 5700 shifters and I don’t remember those feeling skinny. This might be something not many have tried as I bet most Di2 owners have disc brakes.

Things I already love;
front mech is so easy
11-34 range
It's amusing to me all these innovations with hydraulic brakes, electric shifting, 12/13 cassettes.

There is one innovation none of them want to do. Make hoods/shifters for various sizes of people. I think it's too funny that the hoods/shifter size/shape is the same for someone who is 4'5 and someone who is 7'2. Wouldn't surprise me if someone 7'2 hands are 3 times as large as someone who is 4'5.
Likes For zymphad:
Old 03-10-24, 06:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
So what’s the rationale for reduced size? Cost cutting, weight savings, both?

Old 03-10-24, 07:45 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
So what’s the rationale for reduced size? Cost cutting, weight savings, both?
Huh? You think offering different sizes for hood/shifter would be about cost saving or weight savings? Without even changing the size, the difference in comfort from 105 5600 to 105 7000 is so dramatic for people who don't have massive hands. And I still think it's too big for most people, since average woman has smaller hands.

I honestly think it's really weird it's one size fits all for hoods/shifters when we offer 36cm to 46cm on handlebar widths on average. 165 to 175 cranks. People are complaining that the smallest frame for women is still much too large for a lot of woman and men too. We offer different size widths on saddles depending on your saddle bones. Different stem lengths, from 50 to 200mm or whatever. Even offer different angles on stems.

But considering one of the most important parts of a bike, contact point for hands and where most road cyclists spend most of their time on, it's 1 size fits all. I just think it's weird that one of the most important contact points on a bike is 1 size fits all.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-10-24 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For zymphad:
Old 03-10-24, 08:06 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I rode Athena EPS for little bit. Liked the shifter shape and loved the feel of the shift 'levers' over Shimano Di2. Didn't like the aggressive waffle pattern in the rubber hoods--rubbed the palms a bit raw. Just the normal hood texture (like they've run on their fully mechanical stuff) would have been perfect.
Old 03-10-24, 08:09 PM
Steve B.

Adapting to using the shift buttons is just that, adapting. You get used to it in time.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-10-24, 08:34 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I'm in the "it's new you need to adjust" camp, except I agree completely about the top buttons on the hoods. Those things are tiny, hard to find, and you have to press directly on top of them rather firmly. Perhaps this was easier on older versions, I have Ultegra 12-speed 8170 shifters.

As for shifting, mine works great. Of course, anytime you shift from the large to small rings, there's a bit of a noise. But I don't find it any different with Di2 vs mechanical. And shifting small to big ring is a dream with Di2.

When I first starting using Di2, it didn't seem that great to me. But I used it exclusively for a month or two before I road my older bike with mechanical. That's when I realized how much nicer Di2 was. Basically, more noticeable when you lose the super fast and easy crisp shifting. I very quickly converted my old bike to Di2 after that. At this point, I don't expect I would buy another road bike without Di2.

Concerning hood shape, I think I saw a video of a pro mechanic adjusting hood fit by stuffing padding, perhaps scraps of bar tape, here and there under the hood covers to adapt the shape. It's one ting to just get used to a new shape, but another if the fit is causing pressure point issue and actual problems. If that's the case, you certainly don't' want to just live with it.
Likes For Mtracer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.