Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

CCM winter project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

CCM winter project

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 08:59 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
CCM winter project

My cousin gave me his early 70s CCM that has not been ridden in decades. He said he used it a bit when he bought it new and his kids got some use out of it but by all the wear indicators there is not a heck of a lot of miles on it.
5 speed derailleur with stem shifter, Ashtabula crank and pressed fork tips all point to low end of the spectrum but this is from a time when low end bikes were perfectly serviceable.
the 26x13/8 steel rims show lots of rust but I will see how they clean up before I trash them.
the wheels will be rebuilt with new spokes and if the rims can be salvaged I will reuse them, otherwise I have CR18 I can use.
Thankfully, the seat post and stem are not stuck so that’s a good start.

the paint looks good and most of the rust appears to be surface so I think it will clean up nicely.
The dynamo works but this light will never cut it so I think I will take it off.
Old 11-27-23, 02:13 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
That SunTour will work very well for you once cleaned up. Overall a nice looking machine.

btw: glad to see you posting again Dan. Seems like forever…
Likes For markk900:
Old 11-28-23, 12:07 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Nice bike and a worthy project, in my opinion. That said, being a vintage road bike enthusiast, I opted to give this "found at the dump" lovely clean old roadster to a friend who has given me more than I have given him. I should add that the pictures show the bike at the dump and next to my wood pile exactly 'as found". I didn't even dust it off...

Old 11-28-23, 12:41 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Nice bike and a worthy project, in my opinion. That said, being a vintage road bike enthusiast, I opted to give this "found at the dump" lovely clean old roadster to a friend who has given me more than I have given him. I should add that the pictures show the bike at the dump and next to my wood pile exactly 'as found". I didn't even dust it off...

Apart from the missing chain guard on mine it looks like the same bike.
Old 11-28-23, 09:40 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
It looks like the rims will clean up, but then then again, I am only looking at pictures. This isn't the fancy race bike that we BikeForum C&V members usually like here, but a perfectly good town bike, errand runner, sturdy and reliable bike.

Knowing a bit about your knowledge and experience, this will be interesting. Sun Ringle seems to have shifted their priorities away from making the CR18 for 26" x 1-3/8" in favor of more popular sizes. There may be other alternatives, especially if you are willing to order from the UK. Perhaps Toronto is better ISO 590 territory than the US right now.

Please keep us updated on the project @Dan Burkhart .
Old 11-29-23, 05:52 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
It looks like the rims will clean up, but then then again, I am only looking at pictures. This isn't the fancy race bike that we BikeForum C&V members usually like here, but a perfectly good town bike, errand runner, sturdy and reliable bike.

Knowing a bit about your knowledge and experience, this will be interesting. Sun Ringle seems to have shifted their priorities away from making the CR18 for 26" x 1-3/8" in favor of more popular sizes. There may be other alternatives, especially if you are willing to order from the UK. Perhaps Toronto is better ISO 590 territory than the US right now.

Please keep us updated on the project @Dan Burkhart .
I already have some CR18 26x13/8 rims laying around if it comes to that, we will see.
Also have not ruled out sticking a Sturmey Archer 3 speed in it.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 12-03-23, 02:09 PM
Dan Burkhart 

The parts are cleaning up quite nicely. All the bearings including hubs, BB and headset look great. The grease was pretty much petrified but none of the surfaces took any damage.
The rims are deeply rust pitted though so it’s going to get new ones.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 12-04-23, 07:05 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Similar build going on here right now.

Been forty forevers since I posted here, too. Been dealing with too many health issues the last few years. End of organ recital right now.

Looks good so far Dan, the clean up and polish really are going nicely. This really hit home when I saw what you are rebuilding/ rehabbing, must be something in the air causing “around town” stirrings. I’ll be interested to see the frame set cleaned and polished up, should be a great looking ride.

I agree with the Sun Tour components for your drive train. I went this route on the ‘71 Schwinn Super Sport I’m building right now. Kept the Ashtabula crank, and Schwinn rings with the correct protector. But, I am using Sun Tour derailleurs front and rear. Managed to find a front with the 1-1/8” dia. clamp band, using a VGT long cage on the rear.

Keep on updating as you proceed with the build, please!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 12-04-23, 08:30 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Been forty forevers since I posted here, too. Been dealing with too many health issues the last few years. End of organ recital right now.

Looks good so far Dan, the clean up and polish really are going nicely. This really hit home when I saw what you are rebuilding/ rehabbing, must be something in the air causing “around town” stirrings. I’ll be interested to see the frame set cleaned and polished up, should be a great looking ride.

I agree with the Sun Tour components for your drive train. I went this route on the ‘71 Schwinn Super Sport I’m building right now. Kept the Ashtabula crank, and Schwinn rings with the correct protector. But, I am using Sun Tour derailleurs front and rear. Managed to find a front with the 1-1/8” dia. clamp band, using a VGT long cage on the rear.

Keep on updating as you proceed with the build, please!

Bill
Hi Bill. So great to hear from you. Been a while.
Old 12-04-23, 08:50 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Longer than I planned, or figured it might be. After the last round of therapy for the PD, I decided to get into the ‘71 Schwinn Super Sport frame I purchased from one of the gang here. Been collecting mostly original Schwinn stuff through eBay, a few parts at a time. Almost through painting the frame and fork, and rehabbing all the components then polishing the chrome out. Sure is different than doing an all Campy Italian build. Still have a Bottecchia (sp) frame and fork to build up for the wife. Yes, it’s the CroMor I received from one of the gang here🤭

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 12-04-23, 09:06 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Longer than I planned, or figured it might be. After the last round of therapy for the PD, I decided to get into the ‘71 Schwinn Super Sport frame I purchased from one of the gang here. Been collecting mostly original Schwinn stuff through eBay, a few parts at a time. Almost through painting the frame and fork, and rehabbing all the components then polishing the chrome out. Sure is different than doing an all Campy Italian build. Still have a Bottecchia (sp) frame and fork to build up for the wife. Yes, it’s the CroMor I received from one of the gang here🤭

Bill
Awesome! I hope you will show us your progress.
Old 12-05-23, 09:14 AM
Dan Burkhart 

I ran into something unusual today. Cleaning up the Suntour stem shifter and found the friction washer is branded Shimano.

Old 12-05-23, 10:26 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
That's odd. Maybe your cousin or a bike shop lost the original washer at some point and bike shop replaced it with a Shimano?

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 12-05-23 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-16-24, 09:41 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Well, winter has flashed by, and I got so busy I could only dedicate a few short minutes to the project. January had me busy building wheels the whole month, and February saw me away in the sunny south,
Anyway, I did make a wee bit of progress. as said before, all the bearings are in good shape, but the bottom bracket cups pretty much fell out of the shell due to poor manufacturing tolerances.
Some Loctite 680 retaining compound has them now held firmly in place.

The crown race was also loose and spinning on the seat, so I knurled the steer tube and it is now fitting properly.

I had a set of polished CR18 590 rims, but they were pretty scratched up and blemished, so I went to work on them with some steel wool. They now have a reasonably nice mill finish, but I think I will see what I can do on the buffing wheel.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 03-24-24 at 07:44 PM.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 03-16-24, 07:12 PM
Dan Burkhart 

About an hour on the buffing wheel and the rims are almost back to their original lustre.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 03-16-24, 08:05 PM
cleverbeefalo

Bikes: Panasonic DX 3000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Cool project! Ever since I learned that CCM made bicycles I've wanted one. I grew up playing hockey and the aesthetics of the bikes match the aesthetics of that equipment I grew up with. So much nostalgia in the blocky letters and pinstripe decals.

Also that crank is pretty neat!
Old 03-22-24, 02:02 PM
Dan Burkhart 

All done. Turned out pretty nice.
New parts include tires, tubes, rims, spokes, chain,5 speed freewheel, new axle in rear hub, brake pads, cables and housings.
No test ride today because the winter we never got finally showed up.

Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 04-01-24, 11:12 AM
Dan Burkhart 

This bike actually rides pretty nice.
I added a couple of accessories to make it a useful daily rider.
For that, it needed a bottle cage and a rear rack.

Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 04-01-24, 01:29 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Nice work Dan. That Root Beer color looks great when it is shined up. The whole bike looks great. @cleverbeefalo I always wanted CCM skates. Same CCM logo from hockey equipement to bicycles. They have a pretty interesting history that didn't (to my surprise) start with hockey equipment. In fact, I had been lied to about what CCM stood for. Someone told me it was for Canadian Custom Made. You might have to get lucky or look over the border if you want to get a CCM bike. We didn't get them in the US.

Canada has some key differences when it comes to bikes than the US. They had Raleighs made in Canada, Peugeots made in Canada and a bunch of brands that we didn't get to see in the US. They also got Paul Brodie bikes, but Brodie's did find their way to the US. What they did not get was Schwinn. Why Schwinn in Chicago didn't sell in Canada, I don't know, but I suspect it might have been something to do with import taxes or something similar. Perhaps it went both ways so CCM's didn't sell in the US.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 04-02-24 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For Velo Mule: