Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is the Priority L Drive Worth the Premium.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 02:34 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

There's a Priority 600 with the Pinion Gear Box and belt drive. Seems like a very unique bike but is it worth $900?

Seems like I could get a plain IGH/ belt drive bike for less.

​​​​And if I'm not planning on riding in the rain much, don't even need IGH?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/274299229042769/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Here's the bike
Old 03-13-24, 03:28 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
The Priority 600 sales new for $2499.00. The Pinion 12 speed has 600% Range. At full retail it is a good deal for someone. If the used one is in good condition $900 seems reasonable.
Likes For Rick:
Old 03-13-24, 03:38 PM
RoadWearier

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/771224334582708/?mibextid=dXMIcH

There's this one for $600.
Old 03-13-24, 05:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
That bike could be worth it but at that price I have to wonder what is up with it, just looking for a quick sale? Something is damaged? It hasn't been serviced?...It looks like a fine bike but it probably needs some love and that is an older Rohloff hub not that, that is bad per se just of note.

A pinion and belt drive for $900 seems pretty cheap as well and a good bike. Do you need it? No, does anyone need anything except water, food and shelter, no. Should you get it sure they are decent bikes and the Pinion system is nice and the Gates Belt Drive is super nice. Low maintenance is really swell and putting all of the weight of your gears low in the frame and centered is excellent meaning you can have a stronger rear wheel since it is in essence a single speed wheel.

You can put two numbers together and compare them but in the end that usually ends poorly. That bike costs as much as a Toyota Tercel bleh bleh bleh but in the end the bike is a nice bike and that Toyota is an old used car with a lot miles not a fair comparison. For the Rohloff bike that would probably be a 6k bike-ish but it is a nice bike the Priority is probably a 2-3k bike so at $900 or $1000 for either they could be great bikes. However someone can say well a huffy at Walbogs is $100 and has dual shocky things and it is a poor comparison but they are again two numbers.

In terms of a plain IGH and belt drive bike I don't know what that is? Like a single speed? Sure get a single speed they are awesome. But in terms of hubs or gear systems both of those are good quality ones and will generally last quite a while and aren't really that fancy. Yes Rohloff has more gears than anything out there currently and has been for a looooooong time (Campy is close with their Ekar at 13 but it is sitting out exposed to the elements and I guess Pinion with the P.18 beats it now but they are newer) but it isn't super fancy just a really well made hub that is a long lasting hub, assuming that one works it is potentially 26 years old. In 2019 they had a Rohloff hub that had gone 238855 miles. It is nice and well built but I would say a CeramicSpeed OSPW system is fancy the Rohloff hub is very utilitarian but in a nice package.
Old 03-13-24, 06:09 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
The Rohloff14 bike has a better frame and bars. I'm not sure about that metal clutter rack for paniers is. My guess is he's 5'10".
The Pinion has plumper tires for gravel. Looks like that owner is over 6' tall.
Both seem to have hydro disc. Both are great deals.
My Rohloff14 is just getting settled in at 20,600 miles. I do dozens of century rides with all my IGH roadsters.
For sure there's NO deFAILeurs that can beat either for even 10,000 miles. For heavy tours, IGH is a no brainer.
All it takes is a couple broken spokes to ruin a tour.
I can't see FB posts. Ask what the R number is. 200001 is about 2015.
Edit =====
I did see the ad some. The Rohloff14 looks pretty old, but then it means it's broken in. LOL. I guess the front dyno hub is the Shimano pic, likely old too.
Tail light is broke, otherwise I have that and love it. They are way out of date tho and hard to find one now. I did get it early last year from Japan and stupidly didn't get 2 for half price.
Peter White seems to have them > B&M325ALK-02 ^^^ DToplight XS Plus with standlight. $25.
So that's why it's cheaper.
=====
Now I found the Intec makers are in Germany. Good steel frame. Not sure why this link is for UK.
https://intec.soniccycles.co.uk/?cat=39&id=85

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-13-24 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 10:49 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 173 Posts
Belt drive and geared hub are a dream for a commuter bike. Rode my Spot Acme--Gates belt, Alfine hub--happily for ten years, and I don't do rain (unless caught in it). We outlawed the stuff here.
Old 03-14-24, 02:39 PM
RoadWearier

Thank you for all the info. I'm 5'10 so it looks like I should get the Rohloff by size alone. The seller would take $600. The seller of the priority will not take less than $900 and from what was posted above is too big for me anyway