Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano hubs for 10 speed with HG freehub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 01:34 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

I've been taking care of Shimano hubs for decades. I don't mind doing them once a year. I've been looking at a cost effective wheel build for a bike I have with 12x142 and 15x100. The only thru axle Shimano hubs I can find have micro spline freehubs, so I'm guessing I need to find used or NOS. These are probably the first generation hubs for thru axle. Would that be correct?

Can anyone tell me the models that would cover this and where the most likely places to find them? Ebay? I see that the m788 is at least one of them. I would prefer XT if possible.

Any info, recommendations, suggestions appreciated as always.
Old 03-15-24, 01:51 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question, but Shimano still makes plenty of hubs for 142/12mm thru axle with HG freehubs. XT, Deore, 105, RS780, RS470, etc…
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-15-24, 01:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I thought Shimano hubs with microspline where for the 12 speed mountain bikes. Shimano still makes freehubs for lesser speeds. Or are you looking just for the free hub body itself and not the entire rear hub/free hub combination?

These are a mix of what they offer in the USA for mountain bike hub/freehubs together.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/compo.../free-hub.html

Various online retailers may or may not have all the different possible models Shimano offers.
Old 03-15-24, 07:41 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question, but Shimano still makes plenty of hubs for 142/12mm thru axle with HG freehubs. XT, Deore, 105, RS780, RS470, etc…
You assumed all those hubs that Shimano still supposedly make are available. They are not. I am looking for mtb hubs, but will look into the road hubs. I don't know if these would be recommended for touring and off road riding.

Originally Posted by Iride01
I thought Shimano hubs with microspline where for the 12 speed mountain bikes. Shimano still makes freehubs for lesser speeds. Or are you looking just for the free hub body itself and not the entire rear hub/free hub combination?
No, you didn't misunderstand. I didn't give enough info, and you are not aware of how unavailable the mtb hubs for HG are. I started looking for XT hubs since I have used them (QR - 756) and like them. Then I started looking for other "lesser" Deore, such as the m6010. No one has any. After a lot more searching, I have determined that Europe has no problem getting a lot of this stuff, and for much lower prices. Ah, well. I hunt down hubs on the bay or I just give it up and go with Bitex or maybe Velo Orange. I want something suitable for touring.

These are a mix of what they offer in the USA for mountain bike hub/freehubs together.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/compo.../free-hub.html

Various online retailers may or may not have all the different possible models Shimano offers.
I haven't found rear mtb hubs in stock anywhere, except for micro spline stuff. Front hubs, yes. Plenty of those. I don't know how durable road hubs are in comparison. I always assumed the mtb hubs were more durable for obvious reasons.

Last edited by JWK; 03-15-24 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-15-24, 08:10 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
You assumed all those hubs that Shimano still supposedly make are available. They are not. I am looking for mtb hubs, but will look into the road hubs. I don't know if these would be recommended for touring and off road riding.

I haven't found rear mtb hubs in stock anywhere, except for micro spline stuff. Front hubs, yes. Plenty of those. I don't know how durable road hubs are in comparison. I always assumed the mtb hubs were more durable for obvious reasons.
Have you tried a bike shop? Several of those hubs are in stock at QBP, one of the largest wholesale suppliers in the country.
Old 03-16-24, 11:51 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK

I have zero familiarity with anything discussed here, and I was able to find this Deore XT hub within 0.5 second:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285252860427