Old 03-16-24, 02:44 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Now I’m a Karen

On the Iron Horse trail again. I was turning onto the trail to go South when a grandpa and child were walking South also. Grandpa stopped at the side of the trail, plenty of room, the teenage boy stopped in the middle not knowing what to do. I gave a quiet admonishment, like “don’t just stand there in the middle”. Grandpa started calling me “karen”. I realized a few minutes later that this is some kind of insult. Well, in sixth grade I had a crush on a Karen and didn’t appreciate his comment. Then a few minutes later I passed a woman cyclist wearing a beautiful purple jersey just the color of the tree behind her. These Magnolia trees are so great at this time. I guess spring has sprung! Whoo hoo.
Old 03-16-24, 03:00 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
In such encounters, I try to insert a "please" in there somewhere - not because they deserve it ir that you were in any way wrong, but because it sometimes (and I stress "sometimes") makes it easier for them, actually hear the message. Kind of the Mary Poppins school of thought - a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Just a thought. It is not always easy to be polite with morons, especially self-centered ones.
Old 03-16-24, 08:43 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Typical boomer trying to use modern lingo and getting it wrong, he should have called you a Ken or a Kyle. What really makes a person a Karen/Ken is more to do with tone, attitude and presumption of rightness or superiority. While saying things quick as you ride by can result in the wrong tone or a sense of impatience with others and many cyclists often come off as looking or sounding superior (especially those roadies), bikingshearer's advice of adding a please can change the overall tone. I appreciate it when hikers give way but on many of our trails near me its the cyclist who has to give way to hikers and horseback riders so I don't say anything other than thanks when they do get out of the way.
Old 03-16-24, 08:49 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
"Karen" is a gender neutral term...
You say the kid didn't know what to do so you 'admonish' him...your words.
Yep you're a Karen
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 03-16-24, 08:53 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Was driving by a forest preserve trail
and saw two bikes heading one way, and one going the other ridden by an elderly gentlemen. The two were a young adult and child.

...at the last moment they all swerved to dodge each other and they all went down.
Old 03-16-24, 11:19 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
"Karen" is a gender neutral term...
You say the kid didn't know what to do so you 'admonish' him...your words.
Yep you're a Karen
Nope. The OP definitely was not being a "Karen." Telling someone not to block a public thoroughfare (which an MUP is) is not being a "Karen." It is telling someone to do nothing more than what they are supposed to know enough to do without having to be told.
Old 03-17-24, 07:16 AM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Nope. The OP definitely was not being a "Karen." Telling someone not to block a public thoroughfare (which an MUP is) is not being a "Karen." It is telling someone to do nothing more than what they are supposed to know enough to do without having to be told.
The op states the kid was standing in the middle 'not knowing what to do'...so what does the rider do??? he admonishes...his words...him. Had I been the kid I'd have given him an earful...if you're overtaking someone on a trail you should do so slowly and patiently...you do not have the right of way and everyone should move aside for you because you're on a bike and they are not.

You're just not that special...
Old 03-17-24, 08:25 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I've taken the tact of saying nothing more than: "Trail users keep right." This is the exact verbage on every sign that they didn't read. If they are reminded enough, maybe it'll sink in?

In the rare occasion a conversation happens I ask them: "If you don't keep right, how can I pass on the left?"

I dunno. That's all I got.
Old 03-17-24, 08:31 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Honestly depends on your personality and tone of voice. This particular comment could be rude if you say it like a librarian of old, or kind of funny and in context if you can pull it off.
Old 03-17-24, 10:45 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

The op states the kid was standing in the middle 'not knowing what to do'...so what does the rider do??? he admonishes...his words...him. Had I been the kid I'd have given him an earful...if you're overtaking someone on a trail you should do so slowly and patiently...you do not have the right of way and everyone should move aside for you because you're on a bike and they are not.

You're just not that special...
Your argument boils down to "how dare you tell me to stop doing something that the established rules say I'm not supposed to be doing." Sorry, I don't buy it.
Old 03-17-24, 10:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I see this all the time. The ONE MUP I ride on even has LANES painted on it, and STILL a number of walkers act like there are no rules that apply to them. "There's a dotted yellow line down the middle, so let's walk on the LEFT side of that, like we're in friggin' England." "I'm all by myself, so I'll walk right down the goddam MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL." "There are 4 of us, so rather than splitting into 2 groups, let's just spread out all the way across the goddam trail!."

It's not behavior you'd accept on the road from a driver or a cyclist, so why would it be acceptable from a pedestrian on a clearly marked trail?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-17-24, 11:35 AM
ztmlgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Get a bell and use it often. I got one and it was the best 10 bucks I ever spent on a bike accessory. No more "on your left"s for me. I ride the LM and IHT a lot and, since I've had the bell, I haven't had a single unpleasant encounter with another trail user. One ring from 50 feet back usually does it and I frequently get a "Thank You" from them as I pass. A second ring is needed from 25 feet back if I get no wave or moving over. A third ring from 10 feet back on the rare occasion they have the volume jacked up on the headphones in their ears or they're just out of it. If the third ring doesn't work, I just go around them on the grass or dirt and I usually hear an "Oops, sorry" as I pass but never feel the need to respond or interact with them in a negative way.
Likes For ztmlgr:
Old 03-17-24, 12:29 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I always slow down when I see the pedestrian or occasional bike rider stopped on the path and call out "Bike". The person always moves and nobody gets angry.

Old 03-17-24, 07:33 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
On the Iron Horse trail again. .
all I needed to read
Old 03-17-24, 07:37 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I see this all the time. The ONE MUP I ride on even has LANES painted on it, and STILL a number of walkers act like there are no rules that apply to them. "There's a dotted yellow line down the middle, so let's walk on the LEFT side of that, like we're in friggin' England." "I'm all by myself, so I'll walk right down the goddam MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL." "There are 4 of us, so rather than splitting into 2 groups, let's just spread out all the way across the goddam trail!."

It's not behavior you'd accept on the road from a driver or a cyclist, so why would it be acceptable from a pedestrian on a clearly marked trail?
a couple of the few MUPs I deign to use actually have lines separating pedestrians and each direction of cyclists. compliance is …. Incomplete at best. but I would never admonish somebody for it. definitely a bit karenish.
Old 03-17-24, 07:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by mschwett
a couple of the few MUPs I deign to use actually have lines separating pedestrians and each direction of cyclists. compliance is …. Incomplete at best. but I would never admonish somebody for it. definitely a bit karenish.
I would never admonish, because that would require speaking to somebody while riding, which I really don't like doing. I think my consciousness goes into my Right Brain, leaving me barely articulate. I can grunt, or say, "Hey.", but that's about it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-17-24, 07:46 PM
Kai Winters

Thank Odin I don't ride on trails and don't have to run into people like some here...whew.
You can't and shouldn't be going fast. Walkers are slower and generally it's a social atmosphere so take that into consideration and a few seconds of pleasantness can change attitudes.
Be glad I'm not in charge of these trails. I'd ban all adult riders except for seniors and enforce a speed limit of 5mph.
Bet some of you are chewing iron and spitting nails...lol...don't care...ride on the roads...
Oh and I can't stand riders riding four abreast on the roads and not moving over when a vehicle approaches...you don''t own the f'ing road. I ride over 10k miles per year and that irritates me more than anything else riders do. And yes I do yell at them.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 03-17-24, 07:57 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
...don’t just stand there in the middle...

Yep... I remember a kid freezing like a deer in the headlights on a local trail just like you described. After coming to a stop, and before I could say anything, his Mom grabbed him and pulled him aside. He was a blind kid. Man am I glad I didn't ventilate...
Old 03-17-24, 08:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Thank Odin I don't ride on trails and don't have to run into people like some here...whew.
You can't and shouldn't be going fast. Walkers are slower and generally it's a social atmosphere so take that into consideration and a few seconds of pleasantness can change attitudes.
Be glad I'm not in charge of these trails. I'd ban all adult riders except for seniors and enforce a speed limit of 5mph.
Bet some of you are chewing iron and spitting nails...lol...don't care...ride on the roads...
Oh and I can't stand riders riding four abreast on the roads and not moving over when a vehicle approaches...you don''t own the f'ing road. I ride over 10k miles per year and that irritates me more than anything else riders do. And yes I do yell at them.
Ya know, it doesn't matter if you're going fast. When they spread across the entire trail, they're still a goddam hazard.

BTW, you get mad at cyclists for doing the same thing you excuse walkers for? What kind of self-hating cyclist are you?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-17-24, 08:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Now, to be fair, MOST walkers follow the rules, are predictable, leave space for others, etc. But that percentage is SMALLER than the percentage of cyclists who follow the rules of the road, keep well to the right, don't run red lights, etc. IME, anyhow.

Old 03-17-24, 08:39 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I use the trail as a cyclist, walker, and grandpa with pre-adolescent grandsons. This weekend I rode about 70 trail miles and walked about 10. I experienced things from both directions, which is often informative.

It's a MUP, where M is multi. Bikes yield to everyone, by rule. Yield is an interesting word; it doesn't mean stop but it may require stopping. It includes yielding to a pedestrian standing in the middle of the path. Cyclists may think the space in front of them is theirs, but it's not.

I don't think it was Karen level, but it was unnecessary and fruitless. Ill will was created.
Old 03-20-24, 08:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
You got to figure most walkers out there get buzzed by inconsiderate riders at one time or another. Somebody venting is bound to happen. Until those walkers ride and riders walk that will happen. Nothing to see here, move along...
Old 03-27-24, 01:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I ride the los gatos creek trail fairly often.

I have come to really appreciate the buzz from my white industries hubs as compared to my almost silent 6800 hubs and then bell or gentle on your left depending

I am courteous and slow down, pass slow or stop as needed

I do call out people with unleashed dogs......I have had one ambulance ride due same (not on trail)

but people are clueless as to other people. (unleased kids and pets, stop in the middle of the trail, turn across the trail without looking, take up the whole trail, focus on phone, etc) so I ride defensively, still pretty ride

biggest jerks are the guys on no pedaling required ebikes with fat tires bombing the trail at 20pm plus, giving no way

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-27-24, 05:02 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I disagree. If you can't stop and admire nature on a bike trail, then where can you do it? If people do something they shouldn't, we can tell them we're coming through, but we don't have to get all "karen" about it.
Old 03-27-24, 07:05 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I disagree. If you can't stop and admire nature on a bike trail, then where can you do it? If people do something they shouldn't, we can tell them we're coming through, but we don't have to get all "karen" about it.
So stopping in the middle of a path, in the way of all other users, becoming an obstacle/hazard to everyone else who has an equal right to safe and unimpeded travel is ok? No. It's the height of self-centered discourtesy.

Where is your sense of basic civics?

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.