Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 07:36 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If that is how cyclist noobs ride in your local, that is horrible. "Inexperienced" & the like might be better off gaining experience in a public access recreational park equipped with a boat launch.
When the rider executes erratic riding behavior, they will at least have immediate emergency care on-site & be able to increase their chances in retaining the motorist for questioning.
Some but not all. But at least they have the common sense to wear high visibility kit.

I also noticed a much greater proportion of female riders wearing high vis kit. And all junior racers training solo on public roads that I encountered so far are wearing high visibility kit. Among older pro or amateur athletes, I saw more riding in high vis kit. At least, the more serious athletic level of the sport locally, is enforcing high vis kit on their athletes.
Old 04-23-22, 07:40 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by Rolla
Quite a tightly wound ball of insecurity, aren't you?
I expect you to feel very good then.
Old 04-23-22, 07:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,018 Times in 1,937 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Some but not all. But at least they have the common sense to wear high visibility kit.

I also noticed a much greater proportion of female riders wearing high vis kit. And all junior racers training solo on public roads that I encountered so far are wearing high visibility kit. Among older pro or amateur athletes, I saw more riding in high vis kit. At least, the more serious athletic level of the sport locally, is enforcing high vis kit on their athletes.
Should I be driving in the left lane, passing a cyclist using the right lane in the road, & they just leap frog into me while all are in motion, that will be inexcusable of that cyclist & they will have some repair orders coming there way. High "viz" or not. That type of intentional behavior is not fit for public road use.
Old 04-23-22, 07:53 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
All of my bikes are black and dark grey....and all of my clothing is black, dark grey, dark green, dark tan and camo...oh and my backpacks which I use for cycling are also dark grey and black,...That's just the way I roll through life
Well.....
Old 04-23-22, 08:10 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Should I be driving in the left lane, passing a cyclist using the right lane in the road, & they just leap frog into me while all are in motion, that will be inexcusable of that cyclist & they will have some repair orders coming there way. High "viz" or not. That type of intentional behavior is not fit for public road use.
If memory serves me correctly with my written driving exam, you have to pass a cyclist on the left lane if there is no bike lane or for some reason, the cyclist has to leave the bike lane because it's occupied.

However, nobody actually enforces that rule. So I don't know, I never hit a cyclist before when I'm driving nor I was hit by a motorist when riding. But I had few near misses with a cyclist when I'm driving. One memorable one, in a 6-lane road, I was driving in the middle lane (right side) when all of a sudden, the cyclist in the right most lane suddenly swerved without warning into my lane because he got chased by a dog. I nearly hit both the cyclist and the dog. I braked and swerved sharply to the fast lane to avoid hitting them.
Old 04-23-22, 08:24 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I expect you to feel very good then.
Please don't try to find out.
Old 04-23-22, 08:43 PM
Troul 

If memory serves me correctly with my written driving exam, you have to pass a cyclist on the left lane if there is no bike lane or for some reason, the cyclist has to leave the bike lane because it's occupied.

However, nobody actually enforces that rule. So I don't know, I never hit a cyclist before when I'm driving nor I was hit by a motorist when riding. But I had few near misses with a cyclist when I'm driving. One memorable one, in a 6-lane road, I was driving in the middle lane (right side) when all of a sudden, the cyclist in the right most lane suddenly swerved without warning into my lane because he got chased by a dog. I nearly hit both the cyclist and the dog. I braked and swerved sharply to the fast lane to avoid hitting them.
Driver's Edu teaches to never swerve first, & to always apply the brakes as an initial reaction.

Clarity to my example:
On a four lane road, two lanes supporting each direction of flow; Should I be driving in the far left [median] lane, passing by a cyclist using the right curb fully paved lane in the road, & they just leap frog into me because they had the urge to do so while all are in motion, that will be inexcusable of that cyclist & they will have some repair orders coming there way. High "viz" or not. That type of intentional behavior is not fit for public road use.
Old 04-23-22, 09:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 5,737 Times in 2,954 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Near the Katy Trail. I mostly ride short sleeves in summer but I switched from sun tan lotion to white sun sleeves, and I prefer that.

Otto
Since I don’t have a clue where the Katy trail is located I found the following locations for that trail name.
Dallas
Bunea Vista CA
Defiance, Mo
Jefferson City, Mo

Old 04-23-22, 09:44 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Driver's Edu teaches to never swerve first, & to always apply the brakes as an initial reaction.
That's correct. But there's another car tail-gating behind me, I don't want to be rear-ended, the left lane is free so I swerved there instead.

Clarity to my example:
On a four lane road, two lanes supporting each direction of flow; Should I be driving in the far left [median] lane, passing by a cyclist using the right curb fully paved lane in the road, & they just leap frog into me because they had the urge to do so while all are in motion, that will be inexcusable of that cyclist & they will have some repair orders coming there way. High "viz" or not. That type of intentional behavior is not fit for public road use.
I'm not aware of any rule for that but I don't mind a car passing on the lane right next to the curb. Ofc, within bounds of reason. On very narrow curb or shoulder or bike lane, I'd appreciate if they move away more or pass on the left lane.
Old 04-23-22, 09:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Since I don’t have a clue where the Katy trail is located I found the following locations for that trail name.
Dallas
Bunea Vista CA
Defiance, Mo
Jefferson City, Mo
The Katy was the Missouri Kansas Texas Railroad. Why there would be a Katy Trail in CA will be a mystery.

Old 04-23-22, 09:51 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by rsbob
Dallas
Bunea Vista CA
Defiance, Mo
Jefferson City, Mo
TX is the one I'm aware of.
I wonder if The Taste of Texas is still in op under the original management?
Old 04-23-22, 09:55 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 229 Posts
Perhaps some cycling shorts in solid Navy Blue, Blue, Maroon, Dark Green. That would just brighten things up a little bit yet still wouldn't show the dirt and grime that much.

Last edited by SpeedyBlueBiker; 04-23-22 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-23-22, 09:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

TX is the one I'm aware of.
I wonder if The Taste of Texas is still in op under the original management?
MO Katy Trail is 240 miles long.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_Trail_State_Park
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-23-22, 09:59 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
You’re not welcome here as far as I’m concerned.

Looks fine to me except for the rim brakes, should use disc brakes
Old 04-23-22, 10:02 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am a fan of blaze orange.
Me too. I also like the flourescent yellow.

Black shorts so they won't show the saddle stains, etc and bright colors like yellow and orange on the torso to be the most visible to motorists as we can be.
We don't need to be preoccupied with making a fasion statement Heck with that, just be the most eye catching as possible.
Old 04-23-22, 10:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Seriously? Why do you have any opinion on that and why would anyone care what your opinion is?
Old 04-23-22, 10:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Mr Sir
I always go for white helmets keeps me head cool
I used to wear a black helmet, but it really is awful on a sunny hot day.
Old 04-23-22, 10:09 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Seriously? Why do you have any opinion on that and why would anyone care what your opinion is?
It just doesn't look safe going on fully loaded tours on the mountains all weather with rim brakes.

I know people have done it for many years before disc brakes became common. But now we have safer option, why not use it?
Old 04-23-22, 10:13 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by frogman
Me too. I also like the flourescent yellow.

Black shorts so they won't show the saddle stains, etc and bright colors like yellow and orange on the torso to be the most visible to motorists as we can be.
We don't need to be preoccupied with making a fasion statement Heck with that, just be the most eye catching as possible.
I used to wear white shorts but gave up on it for obvious reasons.

My shorts is currently army green shorts in camouflage pattern. The camouflage shorts don't actually show stains even if it's not black. Ironically, the camouflage patterns also camouflage the stains. My bike and shirt is high visibility, high contrast highlighter yellow patterns though.
Old 04-23-22, 10:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It just doesn't look safe going on fully loaded tours on the mountains all weather with rim brakes.

I know people have done it for many years before disc brakes became common. But now we have safer option, why not use it?
Rim brakes are just as safe as discs. You're a fountain of misinformation.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-24-22, 03:42 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 749 Posts
I've heard that originally bike shorts were black to hide the grease stains from chains.
Old 04-24-22, 06:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18471 Post(s)
Liked 15,737 Times in 7,399 Posts
Looks fine? You questioned commuting on an all black bike. I commute regularly on that thing. Get your story straight, .

And I’ve survived plenty of loaded touring miles on rim brakes just fine, even after eating tarantula meat. You?
Old 04-24-22, 06:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18471 Post(s)
Liked 15,737 Times in 7,399 Posts

Because the bike isn’t equipped to accept disk brakes, and the ones it uses work just fine?
Old 04-24-22, 06:23 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I've heard that originally bike shorts were black to hide the grease stains from chains.
So, white would be better if you wax your chain?
Old 04-24-22, 06:46 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,520 Posts

Maybe he likes that bike.
Likes For seypat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.