Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Conti Gatorskins Keep TEARING!!!!!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 10:23 PM
c0dyrl
Am

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had to get new tires on my trek 1500 a while about 4 months ago. I bought Continental Gatorskins. The back tire has been fine for the whole time ive had them. But the front tire has had to be changed twice due to tearing.
THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ON RIDES.
i.e. I rode saturday checked my tires sunday still full of air. Checked them today (monday) completely flat. Have not ridden since saturday. Why flat now.
I dont know how to explain where it tears so here are some pics. Am I just an idiot and dont know how to put on a tire or do gatorskins just suck or what.
Please help!

Old 07-20-09, 11:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I just bought Gatorskins a couple of months ago and am starting to hear unfavorable reports. I got 2 flats in the first 2 months myself, but that could be bad luck. However, I'm already starting to think my next set will be something else.
Old 07-20-09, 11:36 PM
psirue
curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
email continental - there may be a warranty.
Old 07-20-09, 11:54 PM
c0dyrl
Am

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought them at REI so its easy to get my money back. I just want to make sure the problem is not just me being stupid
Old 07-21-09, 12:07 AM
psirue
curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, did you go nuts with a tire lever when installing?
Old 07-21-09, 12:15 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Sounds like a big-batch of bad tires flew out of Germany. I'd absolutely contact Continental - in Germany - and explain (pleasantly) what has been happening. And wait a few more days for others to chime in with any additional reports.

This is highly unusual. These tires have long been a standard of "bombproof, tough, 5,000 miles..." reports. Let them know - before others start saying they'll go look elsewhere for indestructible tires. I don't own stock in Conti. But I know this is, until know, virtually unheard of.

Contact wherever you purchased these tires. Let them know. Once you get more hits on this thread - get locations to send to Conti. This will help them get a hold of the lot-number of the bad of tires out there.* Then they can do a recall if need be.

Good luck!

* Read and take down any numbers present on the tires to send along. Then they'll KNOW you're serious.
Old 07-21-09, 05:06 AM
ItchyZipper

Bikes: Mercian, (KOM),Waterford Paramount,Schwinn tempo,Pretenamount ss,Custom Kirk, Reserectio and many more.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
that is a warrantee problem. Continental will take care of it. We had a batch of 28's doing that about a year ago. If you have a good relationship with a LBS, they should swap the tyres on the spot. I know that we do, even if the tyres weren't bought from us. Of course...I work at a great bike shop!
Old 07-21-09, 10:54 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have some 4-Seasons that are dealing admirably with the awful, glass-filled (deliberately glass-filled, thank you brilliant State of MA Dept. of Parks & Recreation) bike path around here. I can't see any substantial difference between the 4 Season and Gatorskin — they're listed with the same spec — so I suspect a bad batch.